New Find: "The Knook"

jillkap

Hi all!! I found this at Walmart yesterday, it's called the Knook. It is a way to knit with a crochet hook. I'm excited about it because I've been wanting to learn to knit for a long time (I only know how to do the most basic knit stitch) but I just can't put down my crochet hook :lol I thought it was kind of like tunisian, and I guess it is a little bit.

This kit came with 3 hooks (4mm, 5mm, 5.5mm) and 3 different length strings. There is a tiny hole in the bottom of the hook where you slide the string through - this acts as the knitting needle where the stitches stay on - and you use the crochet hook as the knitting needle that makes the new stitches (which then slide on to the string). It also came with a "how to" book and 4 simple patterns. This is a set for beginners. It is by Leisure Arts and also had videos online of the instructions. And it was only $6.97!! Can't wait to try it :cheer

post-43909-135897714491_thumb.jpg

I got knook hooks somewhat accidentally from eBay. I didn't know what they were but they were wooden hooks very cheap. Then I found a Knooking group on Ravelry with tips and patterns. Haven't used them yet, but am looking forward to doing so.

post-1459-135897714501_thumb.jpg

I don't know if I'm going to have time to fiddle with it until after Christmas (I also just got myself the Boye round loom kit from walmart... 4 looms, a hook, and needle for only $12.97!!) I have too many darn gifts to make first!! :lol

I have seen websites with knooking directions and it looks pretty easy. I will say, however, that ultimately you could probably knit faster by just learning how to knit. I will be the first to admit that there is a pretty big learning curve for regular knitting and I feel that I am still learning all the time. :wink

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I don't know if I'm going to have time to fiddle with it until after Christmas (I also just got myself the Boye round loom kit from walmart... 4 looms, a hook, and needle for only $12.97!!) I have too many darn gifts to make first!! :lol

I had the loom kit - it's what my husband got me last year for Christmas. LOVED it!! Helped me make hats for my boys last year, cause I couldn't get 'em to turn out right by crocheting them!!

If you want to learn to knit but aren't sure about hooking the yarnwith a straight needle, arm yourself with two Bates hooks (the Boyes give me trouble, but YMMV) and make a first row of Tunisian, Turn the whole thing around and instead of finishing the Tunisian row, draw up a loop in each loop. Lather, rinse, repeat.

hey that sounds neat, Becky...never thought of it, though I've often though needles should come with a hook on the end (especially when I tried to purl! :eek) I know enough knitting to make a scarf, lol (cast on, knit, bind off)...my crochet hooks keep me too busy :wink

If you want to learn to knit but aren't sure about hooking the yarnwith a straight needle, arm yourself with two Bates hooks (the Boyes give me trouble, but YMMV) and make a first row of Tunisian, Turn the whole thing around and instead of finishing the Tunisian row, draw up a loop in each loop. Lather, rinse, repeat.

That is a good idea, I also only use Bates hooks (the Boye ones are too pointy for me and get caught on the yarn) Thanks for sharing!! :cheer

I've never tried a bates hook, I'll have to try one. My hooks are always snagging the yarn.

I never realized there was a difference. Then I got some Boye and discovered most of the ones I had been gifted were Bates or older version that were not so sharp on the edges. I have an f Boye and it is my only one. It has been driving me NUTS this Christmas because I have a bunch of small projects that require an f. DH has been getting strong hints about a wonderful idea for a stocking stuffer.:lol:lol

hey that sounds neat, Becky...never thought of it, though I've often though needles should come with a hook on the end (especially when I tried to purl! :eek) I know enough knitting to make a scarf, lol (cast on, knit, bind off)...my crochet hooks keep me too busy :wink

I often think the same thing. I have in fact used Tunisian crochet hooks to knit. It goes a lot quicker for me. I like knitting. I just get so frustrated that it takes so long.

Regarding Knooking, I've tried it and don't care much for the technique. The stitches get too small on the string and get difficult to work the hook into. Doing the knitting with the Tunisian crochet hooks gets me where I need to go.

There are others that love Knooking though so I don't want to discourage you at all. Let us know what you think!

I'm interested in it. Since I do knit and crochet, it shouldn't be that hard to learn. And they have a lot of pattern books out there, so maybe after the holidays, when we are snowed in, I can give it a try.

:manyheart

I am Knitting Illiterate when it comes to using Straight hooks.. Mine now serve as back scratchers.. I just can't seem to conrol tension. or anything,

I keep wanting to pick up that book myself. I too own Looms. and I love them..

I would love to learn to knit with regular knitting needles.. but My first love will always be crochet

I'm interested in it. Since I do knit and crochet, it shouldn't be that hard to learn. And they have a lot of pattern books out there, so maybe after the holidays, when we are snowed in, I can give it a try.

I learned to knit first, and crochet shortly thereafter around 1970, but haven't knitted much after learning to crochet. I wanted to pick knitting back up a couple of years ago and thought I'd try knooking first.

I know a lot of crocheters love the techniqe, and I'm not knocking knooking, but for a knitter (:lol how many times can I type kn in this sentence?) I agree with Nicolep. I really felt it was much harder to pick the stitches off a cord, even with a hook, than to pick stitches off a needle with another needle. Really, it IS knitting but with a string as your second needle, and if you already knit there's no advantage to knooking. The gauge is different, but it's not faster. You can knit any knook pattern.

I think trying to learn to knit with 2 tunisian hooks is an awesome idea , and probably a better 'training wheels technique' for a crocheter to learn to knit than the knook.

I bought a book from Annies Attic I believe, called Knit one Purl two. It is instructions for knitting with a crochet hook. It is not as easy as it may look. Not to me anyway. I can't get past CO .

I do knit also. Not as much or as fast as crochet but I know the basics and have made a few baby blankets which turned out well. I like the look of knit but prefer crochet. That is why I got it. It is still buried somewhere after my move and may stay there for a while. I am finding it hard to find time to even crochet right now.

Archived