Would you pay ...

$395 for a queen sized crocheted blanket?

I would not. At least, I wouldn't for the one I saw this past Saturday at a local arts & crafts store. Granted, it was a beautiful blanket, but... $395?! I value my work also, but I think this was a little insane. In my opinion, I've seen blankets here on the 'Ville equal if not surpassing in beauty and they've been given as gifts or donated or sold for around $100.

A smaller, baby sized afghan was over $200 as well. A granny square Christmas stocking, with tons of holes ~ $39.

I think someone lost a few marbles ....

What are your thoughts?

I would have taken a picture, but the fact that I picked it up to get a closer look at all seemed to have annoyed the shop owner.

I wouldn't pay that much either - no matter how nice it was. I'm with you that around $100 would be a good price - maybe a little more depending on the complexity of the design. And over $200 for a baby blanket, no way!!! I wonder how they came up with their pricing?

It is part of the challenge with handmade goods. People want to "get back" the investment of time as well as goods used in making the product. A large item can be significant in terms of time not to mention with some of the finer yarn/thread cost for materials. However, the value people are willing to invest in an item is rarely equal to the time it takes to make the item. You have to have a customer base that values the quality (and it does have to be quality not everyone makes something worth charging the amounts people charge) and match customer to product.

I saw some beautiful sewn doll dresses for the 18" dolls at a craft fair a few weeks ago. These were above the price I would normally pay for a doll's outfit, but the detail and added accessories were amazing. She was selling in an area where people would pay that kind of money to make their kids happy. She had the right match of customer and product. If she had moved a few towns over I doubt she'd have made one sale. While the work was certainly valued correctly, she would have needed to make a cheaper product to actually make sales in some of the lower priced markets around us.

Would I pay the price, no. I don't know what the market is like in that area and if there are people who would pay. The yarn/thread costs for a queen size bed would be significant especially depending on choice of yarns. I know what mine are just making a simple afghan/throw using worsted acrylic and I tend to buy onsale. If the person feels they need to make that kind of money back to deal with the cost of supplies and earn money for the time utilized in making it and it isn't selling, I would suggest different materials, faster patterns, and faster selling items.

I personally wouldn't pay that much either. But I also see way too much undervaluing of handmade items (unless of course someone can stick a brand name on it. :P). It's sad, but true, that most hand-crafters will never get back their investment in projects that they make to sell, if you add up the hours required. Skewed value system? chinese-import effect? it's always been that way? I don't know. But when someone has the guts to try to get a price closer to the real value of an item, I applaud their efforts. Even if it fails. Maybe someday, true craftmanship will get the respect it deserves.

(btw, I've seen itty bitty collectable bears on etsy that sell for close to $100...based on the time I've put into thread bears that I've made, they're probably worth it....but would I pay it? probably not. But I know someone probably will)

No I wouldn't, but I don't buy things I know I can make myself anyway though lol. However, my husband always says I undercut myself, like I sale plane Jane hats for $10.00 and he thinks I should sale for $20.00 but it doesn't take me long to whip out a hat. Where as the blanket I made for my daughter, if I was to make and sale them, I'd sale for $50.00 he thinks I should sale for $100.00. I just don't see it being sold for that much lol. I do include the time I put into it, and while yes $100.00 for that blanket might be worth it, I don't see me getting that much for it. It took me months to make it, but it was well worth it, but it's the only one I've ever made and doubt I'll make another any time soon lol.

I personally wouldn't pay that much either. But I also see way too much undervaluing of handmade items (unless of course someone can stick a brand name on it. :P). It's sad, but true, that most hand-crafters will never get back their investment in projects that they make to sell, if you add up the hours required. Skewed value system? chinese-import effect? it's always been that way? I don't know. But when someone has the guts to try to get a price closer to the real value of an item, I applaud their efforts. Even if it fails. Maybe someday, true craftmanship will get the respect it deserves.

(btw, I've seen itty bitty collectable bears on etsy that sell for close to $100...based on the time I've put into thread bears that I've made, they're probably worth it....but would I pay it? probably not. But I know someone probably will)

I have collected hand made sewn bears over the years and the prices range because people will pay. I have always collected at the affordable end because it is what I can justify spending, but I don't begrudge the price they charge for the high end bears. There are bear collectors that will buy them if the quality of the bear artist justifies the price. Having had family that makes them, I know the cost of materials drives the basic price even before you add labor.

It comes back to finding a market that will match the quality of the product you want to sell. Not everyone has the drive to do it. There is lots of competition for the buyers who will pay the actual value.

In fairness not everyone is going to appreciate the difference between a item you whipped up quickly in acrylic and one you spent more time designing in a nicer yarn. If you want to get the money for the one you spent more time on, you have to find that market.

I wouldn't pay that much either - no matter how nice it was. I'm with you that around $100 would be a good price - maybe a little more depending on the complexity of the design. And over $200 for a baby blanket, no way!!! I wonder how they came up with their pricing?

They probably came up with the pricing in an effort to make a decent amount of money per hour based on the time it took them to make the project.

Most of us probably wouldn't work at our regular jobs for $2-$3 an hour, would we? But by thinking $100 is a fair price for a queen-sized afghan, we're expecting just that of that crocheter, probably even less.

I don't think this is an unreasonable price, but this is why I won't make crocheted items for sale. My time is valuable to me, and I value it at a certain $$ per hour. If people aren't willing to pay a price for an item that will net me that amount of $$ per hour, then I'll spend my available working hours doing something else that will get me that amount of $$, and spend my free time doing other things that I enjoy or making things for people I love or for charity.

Each person will have a different idea of their acceptable $$ per hour rate.

It's been a long time since I've made a large afghan, so I'd like to get some input please. Let's try to figure out the costs and time involved, then maybe it will easier to see why this cost isn't unreasonable.

Yarn Cost:

What's an estimate (yardage or skeins) of how much yarn would be needed to make a queen-size afghan? Once we know how much yarn is involved, we can figure up how much it would cost in a couple different yarns (Red Heart Super Saver for example plus one or two other yarns).

Time Involved:

How much time would it take to make a queen-size crocheted afghan? Any ideas?

What do you think is a fair rate to charge per hour, remembering that excellent crochet work is a skill?

it's my VERY humble opinion here... If the person can sell a blanket of that size for almost 400 bucks, then I say Go For It! It's very easy for us to say that we won't pay that kind of price, but I honestly think that's because we also know how to make crocheted blankets. If your stitch work is really goood then you should be compenstated for it.

Heck..... I paid $99.00 for a bed cover that is full sized. Bought it from JCPenney and I can tell you that it's not that great of quality either! Don't underestimate the power of your hands and fingers!! If the stitches are perfect, then don't be afraid to put a good price on it. After all... we are fiber artists here :hook

I think that asking a bunch of crocheters if you would pay that kind of money for something we could probably make ourselves, you are definitly going to get a "no" answer. For someone who doesn't crochet and values handmade items the answer may be different. Especially depending on the part of the country you are in. I think we do undervalue our work for the most part.

This is what I posted about pricing afghans back in Jan 2009. I still use this formula for my afghans. Hope this helps:

----------------------------------

You could never price an afghan based on a per hour fee! It would be exorbitant even for the most accomplished crocheter!

Afghans are generally sized to fit over a bed. Based on these sizes and charging a nickel per square-inch, you would have a base price (not including getting your money back for the yarn) of:

Crib ~ 30 x 30 inches ~ $45

Twin--39 x 75 inches ~ $146.25

X-Long Twin--39 x 80 inches $156.00

Full--54 x 75 inches ~ $202.50

Queen--60 x 80 inches ~ $240.00

King--76 x 80 inches ~ $304.00

California King--72 x 84 inches ~ $302.40

Now, if the project is done with a large hook (N, P, Q) and is very zippy and speedy, you can do the same measurements as above, but charge a penny per square-inch, since it didn't take you that long to complete:

Crib ~ 30 x 30 inches ~ $9.00

Twin--39 x 75 inches ~ $29.75

X-Long Twin--39 x 80 inches $31.20

Full--54 x 75 inches ~ $40.50

Queen--60 x 80 inches ~ $48.00

King--76 x 80 inches ~ $60.80

California King--72 x 84 inches ~ $60.48

Don't forget to take the cost of your yarn and at least get it back by adding in that cost, or make a little off of it by charging 1.5 to 2 times and adding THAT cost into the estimates above.

------------------------

Now as to this particular afghan you saw, I agree with AmyS. A queen-sized afghan is not a small afghan and with the price you quoted, it would mean they were effectively charging .08 cents per square inch instead of a nickel per square inch. That's not unreasonable to me. I have no idea if that's what went into the crocheter's formulation to get him/her to that price, but even when I'm looking at other people's work for sale, I use that formula to see if I feel it's priced too high, just right, or too low.

When I make afghans for sale, I quote prices based on the above plus an estimate for the cost of yarn. I have found that if you can do something that someone cannot (or will not) do for themselves (make a beautiful unique hand-crafted item that will make them the star of the Holidays or the baby-shower), they are willing to shell out top-dollar for that!

As crocheters, we look at something and say, "Oh heck no! I could make that for $50, no way will I pay someone else $395 for THAT!" Well, of course not, we can make it for 50 plus our time! I don't think the afghan you saw was targeted to other crocheters. It was being marketed to those who are willing to pay that price for a beautiful item they cannot make themselves.

JHMO! Alaina

Yarn Cost:

What's an estimate (yardage or skeins) of how much yarn would be needed to make a queen-size afghan? Once we know how much yarn is involved, we can figure up how much it would cost in a couple different yarns (Red Heart Super Saver for example plus one or two other yarns).

Time Involved:

How much time would it take to make a queen-size crocheted afghan? Any ideas?

What do you think is a fair rate to charge per hour, remembering that excellent crochet work is a skill?

I can't offer any real advice with the afghans, but I can tell you how I've come up with my pricing. Before I mention the pricing, I should say that I would be selling them at an art fair - not a craft fair or bazaar.

My plan is to use the same 300% mark-up that a typical retail business does. Here's my example: I recently posted a large tote in the bag section of the forum. I plan on making a few more of those bags and the cost will be $80.00 and that does NOT include the shipping. I had to buy 4 skeins of RHSS at 2.83 each. Those have been rounded to 3.00 each. A bag of 6 magnets cost me 1.50 and the rope was around 9.00 for about 50 feet.

Yarn: 3.00 x 4 skeins = 12.00

12 x 300% = 36.00

Magnet: 1.50 x 300% = 4.50

Rope: I've estimated at 2.00 per foot.

12.00 + 36.00 + 4.50 + 6.00 (3 feet of rope for 2 handles)

This brings me to a total of 58.50. Now I'm going to add $20.00 for gas and time spent running. Some of you may not think this if fair, but I do. Gas is expensive and I drive a van - not an economical car!

Now the total is at 78.50. I don't want to sell items at oddball prices so I will round one more time to $80.00. I think it's fair. It takes me well over 20 hours to make that bag! I also feel confident enough with my work to simply tell someone that if they don't want to pay for it - then don't. I would rather gift it away to someone special than sell it for beans!

I'm going to take the heat (stares, following me like I'm a thief!, etc) and go back up there to that shop this week, hopefully tomorrow and do my best to get a picture. Honestly, I just didn't see $400 worth of afghan there. I could have maybe seen the $250 based on the square foot price, but even that was a stretch. Granted, it may have a lot to do with knowing how to do it myself, but it's hard enough to get someone to purchase a hat & scarf & mitt set at $20, much less a blanket for 20x more! Maybe I'm just being cheap! :lol

This is what I posted about pricing afghans back in Jan 2009. I still use this formula for my afghans. Hope this helps:

You could never price an afghan based on a per hour fee! It would be exorbitant even for the most accomplished crocheter!

Afghans are generally sized to fit over a bed. Based on these sizes and charging a nickel per square-inch, you would have a base price (not including getting your money back for the yarn) of:

Now, if the project is done with a large hook (N, P, Q) and is very zippy and speedy, you can do the same measurements as above, but charge a penny per square-inch, since it didn't take you that long to complete:

Don't forget to take the cost of your yarn and at least get it back by adding in that cost, or make a little off of it by charging 1.5 to 2 times and adding THAT cost into the estimates above.

------------------------

Now as to this particular afghan you saw, I agree with AmyS. A queen-sized afghan is not a small afghan and with the price you quoted, it would mean they were effectively charging .08 cents per square inch instead of a nickel per square inch. That's not unreasonable to me. I have no idea if that's what went into the crocheter's formulation to get him/her to that price, but even when I'm looking at other people's work for sale, I use that formula to see if I feel it's priced too high, just right, or too low.

When I make afghans for sale, I quote prices based on the above plus an estimate for the cost of yarn. I have found that if you can do something that someone cannot (or will not) do for themselves (make a beautiful unique hand-crafted item that will make them the star of the Holidays or the baby-shower), they are willing to shell out top-dollar for that!

As crocheters, we look at something and say, "Oh heck no! I could make that for $50, no way will I pay someone else $395 for THAT!" Well, of course not, we can make it for 50 plus our time! I don't think the afghan you saw was targeted to other crocheters. It was being marketed to those who are willing to pay that price for a beautiful item they cannot make themselves.

JHMO! Alaina

That's a great starting point to calculate what to charge for an afghan.I've sold quite a few afghans in various sizes and usually try to get at least 3 times the cost of the yarn. I also take the pattern into consideration when deciding on a price. A plain ripple or box stitch afghan will be less expensive than a graphghan that involves lots of color changes and is all single crochet. The $395 price on a queen size afghan could be high or about right depending on the yarn used ansd the pattern.:hook

I'm going to take the heat (stares, following me like I'm a thief!, etc) and go back up there to that shop this week, hopefully tomorrow and do my best to get a picture. Honestly, I just didn't see $400 worth of afghan there. I could have maybe seen the $250 based on the square foot price, but even that was a stretch. Granted, it may have a lot to do with knowing how to do it myself, but it's hard enough to get someone to purchase a hat & scarf & mitt set at $20, much less a blanket for 20x more! Maybe I'm just being cheap! :lol

Don't underestimate yourself Tiff.... if your stitch work is good, then don't be afraid to put a price on it that will give you a return. Think of it this way.... if you were in a store in the mall and you saw a crocheted hat/scarf/mitt set for 50 bucks and you really liked the look, wouldn't you buy it??

There are MANY different hats/scarves/mitts I've seen on this forum that are much MUCH better than anything in the stores :yes

Just look at the junk they are selling nowadays - High priced with crappy quality and made on a production line. And that's EXACTLY how they look too.

I would not pay it but I think if they can get it why not? My fiancee wanted me to make baby sets (blanket, hat and booties) and sell them for over $200! I told him he was crazy but he said I was underestimating the value of handmade items and that people would pay it. I'm still not going to do it, there are to many gifts for family and friends I want to make to be making all of this stuff to sell.

He gets the same way with woodworking though. He can build really nice stuff (when he has the time) so he tends not to buy anything. He does appreciate the hard work that the person put into it though. I feel the same about crochet. I can make it so I don't buy it generally but I really appreciate and understand the hard work that goes into it.

P.S. That was my 1,000th post!!!

Tiffer, I'm not directing any my comments at you, okay? You're a crocheter, so you're definitely not in the market to be paying people for crocheted objects. :D I certainly wouldn't pay $400 for it, but that's because if I really wanted it, I'd just make it myself.

The quality of materials or workmanship may not indicate a $400 price, but there is still all the labor involved to account for. If there was shoddy workmanship involved, most people probably wouldn't pay any price for the afghan, so let's just assume the work quality is fine. How many hours would you estimate would have been involved in making that afghan?

However, I think many people do undervalue what they see as a mere "craft" that someone is just making in their spare time. Some people think that if someone loves to do something as much as we love to crochet, and is going to spend their spare time doing it just because they love it, that they shouldn't be able to make a decent hourly wage for the time they've invested.

Those same people wouldn't be willing to do their job for the hourly rate they expect of the crocheter, but perhaps they have a hobby they love that they would be willing to work for that type of hourly rate.

Other people may think that a high price adequately reflects the work and skill that go into making something, but the price is therefore out of the range they are willing to pay. There are PLENTY of luxury goods out there that I'm just not willing to pay the price for, no matter how much they might be worth it. (Think a cashmere throw for instance: too much risk a cat is going to ruin it by barfing on it!) But there are also plenty of people out there who are quite happy to pay those prices.

For those who want to be able to charge a decent hourly wage for the items they make, the trick is to find a market of people who are willing to pay those prices for the skill, talent, and time you've invested. You all would probably be shocked at the prices I would charge if I sold finished items. I also understand those prices would put me in a very upscale market, and the number of people willing to pay those prices would be very small. I don't want to have to go to the effort to find those people and convince them to pay my prices, so hence I don't sell finished items. :)

I can tell you I'd be charging WAY more than $400 for a queen-size afghan! Unless I could find a way to make one in 10 hours or less!

Oh, and I don't think anyone is being cheap by not wanting to pay $400 for a crocheted afghan. If you just need a blanket, and you can find a mass-produced blanket of sufficient quality that will do the job for $50, then why spend the extra $350? That would be silly. But if you need a quality, hand-crafted item, then it's not silly at all to pay $400 (if the quality is there).

Tiffer, I'm not directing any my comments at you, okay? You're a crocheter, so you're definitely not in the market to be paying people for crocheted objects. :D I certainly wouldn't pay $400 for it, but that's because if I really wanted it, I'd just make it myself.

The quality of materials or workmanship may not indicate a $400 price, but there is still all the labor involved to account for. If there was shoddy workmanship involved, most people probably wouldn't pay any price for the afghan, so let's just assume the work quality is fine. How many hours would you estimate would have been involved in making that afghan?

However, I think many people do undervalue what they see as a mere "craft" that someone is just making in their spare time. Some people think that if someone loves to do something as much as we love to crochet, and is going to spend their spare time doing it just because they love it, that they shouldn't be able to make a decent hourly wage for the time they've invested.

Those same people wouldn't be willing to do their job for the hourly rate they expect of the crocheter, but perhaps they have a hobby they love that they would be willing to work for that type of hourly rate.

Other people may think that a high price adequately reflects the work and skill that go into making something, but the price is therefore out of the range they are willing to pay. There are PLENTY of luxury goods out there that I'm just not willing to pay the price for, no matter how much they might be worth it. (Think a cashmere throw for instance: too much risk a cat is going to ruin it by barfing on it!) But there are also plenty of people out there who are quite happy to pay those prices.

For those who want to be able to charge a decent hourly wage for the items they make, the trick is to find a market of people who are willing to pay those prices for the skill, talent, and time you've invested. You all would probably be shocked at the prices I would charge if I sold finished items. I also understand those prices would put me in a very upscale market, and the number of people willing to pay those prices would be very small. I don't want to have to go to the effort to find those people and convince them to pay my prices, so hence I don't sell finished items. :)

I can tell you I'd be charging WAY more than $400 for a queen-size afghan! Unless I could find a way to make one in 10 hours or less!

Oh, and I don't think anyone is being cheap by not wanting to pay $400 for a crocheted afghan. If you just need a blanket, and you can find a mass-produced blanket of sufficient quality that will do the job for $50, then why spend the extra $350? That would be silly. But if you need a quality, hand-crafted item, then it's not silly at all to pay $400 (if the quality is there).

There is a certain group of people who don't crochet and like to order custom made items- I have a few of those customers. I try to price things so that I make a profit ,without feeling that I'm taking advantage of my customers. I prefer making smaller items likes hats, scarves, towel toppers, bookmarks,etc. I make more money on these types of items that can be made quickly and don't use a lot of yarn. People just don't realize the hours and yarn involved in making large items.

Wonderful way to calculate prices! Love it

------------------------

JHMO! Alaina

I think that asking a bunch of crocheters if you would pay that kind of money for something we could probably make ourselves, you are definitly going to get a "no" answer. For someone who doesn't crochet and values handmade items the answer may be different. Especially depending on the part of the country you are in. I think we do undervalue our work for the most part.

This is so true. For someone who doesn't crochet, yet wants beautiful things for their home or their baby, some will spend big bucks.

As a crocheter, personally, we know how many hours it would take to make something that big but would we charge hundreds of dollars for it? I don't think so.

I give most of what I make to charities, so that I know someone can use it.

:manyheart

You've expressed my thoughts much better than I could.

I have seen some AMAZING hand made wood toys at craft fairs. I would love to be in a postion to buy them and send them off to various family members for their children. These are heirloom toys that will last. Occasionally I find some smaller pieces that I splurge on, but for the most part the hand made cradles, games, and other pieces are well out of my budget. However, I do know plenty of people who do buy these items. I would never suggest that people price these items down because it is a hobby. There is a market and people willing to pay it, why shouldn't they profit from it.

Some of these same people use those profits to afford the materials to make their donations to local charities.

I think the problem here is that we are crocheters. We know how much it cost in material to make something like that.

Now if it had a deisgner label on it, no one would bat an eye with the price.

Minimum wage is about $5 or $6 an hour. Now take the time you would spend on make it and multiply that by 5 or 6, then add in the cost of the yarn. You will be shocked at how much it comes to.JMHO:hook

wow, good discussion going on here. I must admit, I would not buy it, as money is in tight demand these days with everyone. Saying that, I have sold actually, an afghan for upwards of 400 plus dollars. It was a comission piece, I left the price up to her, just so the yarn cost got covered i would be happy. Course she overpaid, i balked, she insisted, I accepted, and treated her to lunch, end of story.. Three points here, ..Did I feel guilty, maybe a bit, but knowing she picked the price (point number one,) and knowing she could well afford what she offered me (point number two!) I quickly got over the guilt, and last but not least, point number three, I made a friend for life, and the lunch was so much fun! I think, if you have an upper end customer base, (And i do so envy that possibility, as they are soooo few and far between! ha ha) then go for it, and enjoy your hard earned profits! Let me just also add, I would not pay that much, as I would also make my own, and I would, will, have and do, pay it forward in so many ways, when I have been gifted a good sale or two!

A lot of valid points were raised whether or not the amount charged is reasonable. As crocheters/knitters/sewers, we know the amount of time that it takes to produce quality items. After seeing the imports of less quality that are being offered for sale in high end stores and the lower priced stores, I have come to realize there is nothing wrong in asking for a price a person believes is fair. If people are willing to pay for it, then that is their concern. I personally, would not pay $395 for it, but then again, I wouldn't pay $395 for a mass produced item either.

Many eons ago when I worked, I came back from lunch to find an order form on a desk of one of the secretaries with my items on it and prices and there were already names on it. I was laughing, this woman decided if I was making little items (I was doing little Christmas gifts) I should put them up for sale so she priced them, put them on display and wouldn't even take a cut of the profits. Was I insulted? Absolutely not. I love to crochet, I had the yarn already at home and they were small items that I was making (Christmas stockings, pillows, covered wooden hangers, tiny yarn teddy bears). I would make them during lunch and break times. I picked up some extra money that year and the next year was asked if I would make them again. I only did small items. It wasn't something I was doing to make a lot of money, it was fun and therapy for me. I never have done a craft fair or bazaar and probably never will.

Archived