Summer Mystery CAL

i hope everyone enjoyed the weekend...

the question has come up as to if we should post progress photos of our work...

what do you think?

yes or no?

will it ruin it for the others?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope everyone enjoyed the weekend...

the question has come up as to if we should post progress photos of our work...

what do you think?

yes or no?

will it ruin it for the others?

I was wondering that myself....maybe we can designate thursdays as progress picture day since that will give everyone the week to do the clue and we get the next clue on the next day (fri) ? That way, it really shouldn't ruin the surprise for anyone :think

What do y'all think?

Just found this and I've only done one mystery crochet-along before. now all I have to do is decide on the yarn and catch up...thanks

well - I don't mind not posting but figured it may be fun but I can see why not posting pictures is a good thing too. For now I will put it on my WIP Wednesday posts (so be warned if you read my blog) until I hear an official ruling :P

I think I'm going to join this one, too. I love a good mystery cal.

I'd like to make a suggestion, if I may. It might be a good idea to make a list (in the 1st post) of which posts the clues can be found in, so that they're easier to find and reference back to as the thread gets longer.

Maybe something like this?

Clue #1: post 28

Clue #2: post ##

Clue #3: (etc.)

well - I don't mind not posting but figured it may be fun but I can see why not posting pictures is a good thing too. For now I will put it on my WIP Wednesday posts (so be warned if you read my blog) until I hear an official ruling :P

Maybe we could start a different thread dedicated to progress pics so that viewing other people's progress is completely optional? Or would that be too many threads? :think

Round 4: Ch2, *dc in next 5 stitches, 2dc in next stitch (tip of next petal). repeat from * around, end with 1 dc in tip of last petal. Slst in top of ch2.

This round in bold could be interpreted from the * as

1 dc in the next 5 ch space

or

5dc within the ch 5 space

Round 4: Ch2, *dc in next 5 stitches, 2dc in next stitch (tip of next petal). repeat from * around, end with 1 dc in tip of last petal. Slst in top of ch2.

or

Hmmmm, you're right :think I interpreted it and did a dc in each chain, so 5 dc in the chain 5 space. It never crossed my mind that it could be interpreted at 1 in that space.

or

Hmmmm, you're right :think I interpreted it and did a dc in each chain, so 5 dc in the chain 5 space. It never crossed my mind that it could be interpreted at 1 in that space.

I think I'm going to join this one, too. I love a good mystery cal.

I'd like to make a suggestion, if I may. It might be a good idea to make a list (in the 1st post) of which posts the clues can be found in, so that they're easier to find and reference back to as the thread gets longer.

Maybe something like this?

Clue #1: post 28

Clue #2: post ##

Clue #3: (etc.)

Agreed. Link em up. Or just edit post #1 to include all clues.

unlike a granny square which would be stated "5dc in the chain 5 space" you will actually be doing 1dc in each of the 5ch stitches not in the space. im sorry i did not realize that it was so confusing :blush although either way it will end up serving the same purpose.

as for the pictures...i would say maybe posting on wednesday...that way people who are having trouble or difficulty may gain some help from the visual before the next clue comes out.

i will reference the previous clues post # when the next clue goes up...that way everyone can find it easily.

This looks interesting! Is it a really short pattern? I may have to try this if it isn't too late!

I saw the interpretation on that as being either or. I selected to put my dc into the chain spaces instead of into each individual chain. I was looking for "cleanliness" rather than having the pull - figured it'd be stronger and have the same effect.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I'll be froggin' and catching up LOL

I am round two (2) of pattern and I don't know if I'm doing it correctly for in row 2 it states that I should have 12 petals but I don't, so I will explain to you what I did and maybe the group can help me figure out just where I went wrong for I'm having a brain fart moment. :think:lol:lol

Here's exactly what I did,

To begin I chain 5 and slip stitch into the first chain to form a ring,

Row 1 I worked 12 single crochet into the ring (understood up to this point, now row 2 is where I'm totally thrown out of the loop and a brain fart moment happen, :lol:lol

According to the directions

Round 2: *Ch 6. Sc in 2nd ch from hk. Hdc into next 4 ch stitches Sc in next Sc of base round. Repeat from * around circle completing 12 petals Sl st into base of 1st petal post. End off and weave ends

I don't understand how to get 12 petals when I'm hdc into the next 4 ch stitches, or am I hdc 4 times into the next stitch. which I still will not have 12 petals. :think Help

You have a chain of 6...in the 2nd of those 6 chains you are going to do a hdc. Then in the 3rd of those 6 chains you are going to another hdc. After that you are going to the base round and put a single crochet in the next single crochet. Not sure where you're getting the hdc in the next 4 stitiches from....that's not in the directions.

Hope this helps!

You have a chain of 6...in the 2nd of those 6 chains you are going to do a hdc. Then in the 3rd of those 6 chains you are going to another hdc. After that you are going to the base round and put a single crochet in the next single crochet. Not sure where you're getting the hdc in the next 4 stitiches from....that's not in the directions.

Hope this helps!

Thank you I'm going to try it, I guess I wasn't really understanding the directions, but now I can see it. :manyheart

unlike a granny square which would be stated "5dc in the chain 5 space" you will actually be doing 1dc in each of the 5ch stitches not in the space. im sorry i did not realize that it was so confusing :blush although either way it will end up serving the same purpose.

as for the pictures...i would say maybe posting on wednesday...that way people who are having trouble or difficulty may gain some help from the visual before the next clue comes out.

i will reference the previous clues post # when the next clue goes up...that way everyone can find it easily.

Sorry, I actually put a dc into each ch itself (I like the look that way rather than doing it into the space :think

I am round two (2) of pattern and I don't know if I'm doing it correctly for in row 2 it states that I should have 12 petals but I don't, so I will explain to you what I did and maybe the group can help me figure out just where I went wrong for I'm having a brain fart moment. :think:lol:lol

Here's exactly what I did,

To begin I chain 5 and slip stitch into the first chain to form a ring,

Row 1 I worked 12 single crochet into the ring (understood up to this point, now row 2 is where I'm totally thrown out of the loop and a brain fart moment happen, :lol:lol

According to the directions

Round 2: *Ch 6. Sc in 2nd ch from hk. Hdc into next 4 ch stitches Sc in next Sc of base round. Repeat from * around circle completing 12 petals Sl st into base of 1st petal post. End off and weave ends

I don't understand how to get 12 petals when I'm hdc into the next 4 ch stitches, or am I hdc 4 times into the next stitch. which I still will not have 12 petals. :think Help

Thank you I'm going to try it, I guess I wasn't really understanding the directions, but now I can see it. :manyheart

When you ch 6, you put a single into the 2nd chain from the hook and the next 4 chains get an hdc....at this point you haven't worked into your first round at all. From that point, you'll put a single into the first stitch of round 1. Then chain 6 and repeat. So each petal is the part that you chain up and do the one sc and 4 hdcs into and then the petal connects to the base in the next available stitch. Does that help?

Round 2: *chain 6. 1 single crochet into the 2nd chain from hook. 1 half double crochet into each of the next 4 chain stitches of the chain 6, single crochet into the next single crochet of your base round. Repeat from * around circle completing 12 petals slip stitch into the base base of the 1st petal that you made. End off and weave ends

i hope this helped, and im sorry for all of the confusion.

Sorry, I actually put a dc into each ch itself (I like the look that way rather than doing it into the space :think

thats exactly what i was saying. instead of putting the dc into the space it should be into each stitch.

When you ch 6, you put a single into the 2nd chain from the hook and the next 4 chains get an hdc....at this point you haven't worked into your first round at all. From that point, you'll put a single into the first stitch of round 1. Then chain 6 and repeat. So each petal is the part that you chain up and do the one sc and 4 hdcs into and then the petal connects to the base in the next available stitch. Does that help?

Yes. that really help me, Thanks so much.:hug

Archived