Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Hi Wrennie

There are a couple ladies on here who do sewing. Linda is the one who probably sews the most ,and just started a new quilt this past week . I think Cindy also sews. not sure who else offhand. That is something I've never had much success with .It requires more patience than I have .

How do Penny socials work ? And what pattern and color of afghans are you making ?

Oh goody more sew-ers. (without the - I think Ed Norton :rofl )

At a penny social items are put out on tables. Each item or set of items has a cup(coffee can, etc) next to it. You buy a sheet of 100 tickets for $1. If you want to win an item(s) you put your ticket in it's cup. Then callers mix up all the tickets for one item at a time and a ticket is pulled. The corresponding # wins! The one I go to also has a "special" table(s) for more pricey items. Tickets for that are 3 for $1. They also have door prizes a 50/50 raffle, and a lotto raffle where you win a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets.

One afghan is an 8 point 'baby' RR, I have 10 more rounds then I'll get a picture. I'm making it bigger than the baby size so its momma sized. It has green, blue and shades of tan with variegated stripes here & there.

I inherited a load of yarn and there were lots of greens, so I'm also making one with a variety of squares in all different shades of green.

Wrennie- That's great about the sewing machine!! Have fun with it!!!

FARM ANIMAL QUESTION: I guess I would be a sheep so I could share some of my wool with all the crafters and fiber artists.

I will have fun.I finished off 2 Christmas stockings that have been sitting in my wip pile for years. Also started a pillow. I found a really cute fleece shirt with 3 cardinals on the front, and a little snowflake on the back. I cut it up and am making a pillow out of it with some red fleece I bought added to it. I'll keep that and the stockings probably for the Holiday swap here.... if I get someone who likes red or birds.:yes

Do ya' have to be a sheep? Can't ya' be an alpaca so I can have some of your 'wool'?

It may take me a few days but I'll try and catch up. Are weather has been perfect but I heard the 40's are coming back. I hope there wrong.

Have a good day everyone!

I would LOVE for it to warm up to the 40's here!!:manyheart

Wrennie, that's great about the sewing machine. I sew quite a bit, but I tend to do it in spurts. I have two machines and a serger, but I haven't touched them in several weeks. Linda was lucky enough to get a new machine a little while ago, and she is making a gorgeous quilt for a contest at the moment.

I now have 3 machines, 2 broken. No serger. My friend is a tailor and she let me learn on one of her sergers. The person I inherited the yarn from was also a big time sew-er. Her husband says theres a bunch of machines there. He wants someone to get use out of them. Maybe I'll get an industrial one from him. Then I could go back to making my purses out of jeans again. Sold a few of them at my friends shop. Her daughter took the serger tho, so no inheriting one for me.

I have a load of cat prints collected. My friend Christy made me a pattern for a cat quilt. I may just have to get around to making it now.

I sew in spurts too.

I also sew. My sewing machine keeps calling my name and I do have several quilt WIP's, a tote kit that was sent as a gift to make, and a pair of John Deer sleep pants to make for my youngest daughter. She :heart anything John Deer and has Big Green Tractor on her phone as a wake up alarm :lol

I thought I heard a little voice! :rofl

.to Wrennie, I sew too...my sewing's been mainly for curtains and napkins and stuff for the house, but I make clothes, and toys too...but the Crochet gods have totally kidnapped me for a long while now...

Most of my sewing is for home-goods too. Most of my clothing sewing is repairs. And when I worked with my friend whose a tailor I did some hemming.

Wrennie - That's nice your friend gave you her sewing machine. I just got one a couple months ago from my mom's cousin. She had an extra one since her mom passed last year (was elderly and had a good life) and must have mentioned it to my mom one day in conversation and my mom knew that I wanted one but wouldn't buy one so she brought it over for me :clap I haven't used it yet, but am planning to pull it out probably tomorrow to sew up a small lining for a crochet hook case for my sister and also want to sew up a piece of fabric to put into a basket :think

LeAnna - I didn't even think of my Chinese sign :think In that case, I'm a sheep like many others here have chosen :yes After reading the description on the zodiac page....it's totally me :yes

Thats kinda how I got mine. I was telling a co-worker mine are broken and the manager overheard me. I didn't ask her for it. Didn't even know she had one. She's not the crafty type.

As for chinese zodiac, well.... I've never seen a dragon on a farm. But thats me!

Wrennie ~ I've seen your name here at the 'Ville and am so happy you've joined us. Congratulations on the new sewing machine. :clap

Thank you!

JoAnn, glad noone was hurt in your fender bender!

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning everyone! Need more :morcoffee before I can really start responding. :lol But wanted to at least say good morning!

Had rude awakening this morning. Heard a noise, so did the furples, and game on. They wanted out NOW! Seems the horses from up on the hill were out, again, the kids were trying to get them to go back home and there was a dog running around with them. Utter chaos. So I'm a bit :grumpy right now.

Will catch up with everyone when I'm more awake.

Good morning ladies :hi

Just had my bfast with you, some scrambled eggs with kielbasi (sp?) and cheese and some toast and it was yummy and now for my coffee :D

I remembered this morning what I forgot last night, which was to comment on:

Cindy - Jaden and his team pics are great! :clap

Joanne - I've been called for jury duty once, but I've learned I have to do jury duty as a doctor because they can't take me away from my patients that need care. But, like Judy, I'd like to do it once for the experience. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm retired if they call me then :think

OK, now on to today. I'm trying to decided what to start with and think I will pull out this sewing machine to make up a small lining for the crochet hook case for my sister :think I don't have a user manual with it though, so may have to look it up online if it's not very self explanitory :lol

Julie - My mom falls asleep in her chair every night, usually makes it up to bed around 3 am :lol

Joanne - My Michael's 25% off coupon is good ONLY tomorrow, I sure wish I could use it today :( Maybe I can find one lying around the store today when I stop by to check out the Charisma stash :xfin Your 9 patch is beautiful. I was planning to also do a border and am glad that I got to see what it looks like with it because now I'm definite, thanks :wink I'm doing a varigated and green squares and have the white for the border as well :yes

Marys - I hope you both have a great day today

Shannon - I agree that you should be able to crochet when there are no tables and everything else is already done. Sometimes it's even hard to FIND things that need to be done :hug

Judy - Good morning there, what's on your agenda today?

Wrennie - your penny social sounds like fun, which I lived closer :lol And your right, I also never saw a dragon on a farm :think And if I had, I'd probably have kept right on moving :lol

Now as for the question of the day, my best advice??????? I've gotten alot of good advice, including what Joanne already posted :yes So I'll go with..... Not to worry about what others think of you and to just be yourself :D

Morning everyone! Need more :morcoffee before I can really start responding. :lol But wanted to at least say good morning!

Had rude awakening this morning. Heard a noise, so did the furples, and game on. They wanted out NOW! Seems the horses from up on the hill were out, again, the kids were trying to get them to go back home and there was a dog running around with them. Utter chaos. So I'm a bit :grumpy right now.

Will catch up with everyone when I'm more awake.

Sorry about your unexpected wake up call :hug But, sounds like it may be amusing to watch :think

What are the furples?

Good morning again!

I made pancakes and bacon for breakfast and DH asked if we were having another blizzard that he wasn't aware of!:lol . (The bacon was a real treat for him since I don't usually buy it due to the high sodium)

DD called this morning and she told me that at her doctor appt on Friday the doc told them they are having a.....................

I'm not going to tell----Thought we'd play a little guessing game on the sex of my grandchild to be..... Just to add a little fun...... at the end of the night, I'll post what she is having......

Good morning again!

I made pancakes and bacon for breakfast and DH asked if we were having another blizzard that he wasn't aware of!:lol . (The bacon was a real treat for him since I don't usually buy it due to the high sodium)

DD called this morning and she told me that at her doctor appt on Friday the doc told them they are having a.....................

I'm not going to tell- you can all take guesses and at the end of the day we'll see how many of you guessed right!:devil

I only get bacon for a treat because its expensive. So I'll buy it on sale, every once in a while the store add will have a coupon for buy 1 get 2 free!!! usually only good for 1 or 2 days, so I'll put it in the freezer and pull it out sparingly :lol I do always pick up the low sodium kind :yes

I only get bacon for a treat because its expensive. So I'll buy it on sale, every once in a while the store add will have a coupon for buy 1 get 2 free!!! usually only good for 1 or 2 days, so I'll put it in the freezer and pull it out sparingly :lol I do always pick up the low sodium kind :yes

I bought it on sale (and didn't tell him it was low sodium)- He said it was delicious!!!! If he had known it was low sodium- he probably would have said he could taste the difference. (I had taken it out of the package and put it in several freezer bags, so the evidence that it was low sodium was long gone):devil

:lol I never thought of that, Julie! :lol I will be honored to be called Mary 1. :D

Luke just woke up, so I will see you all later this morning.

I guarantee I am not a "young" Mary anymore lol.

working on the doily=ghan for the doily-ghan CAL. I'm having a lot of fun with this one and can't wait to start on the next!

tooo many WIP again...:lol

I bought it on sale (and didn't tell him it was low sodium)- He said it was delicious!!!! If he had known it was low sodium- he probably would have said he could taste the difference. (I had taken it out of the package and put it in several freezer bags, so the evidence that it was low sodium was long gone):devil

Good call :devil

Wrennie

What you call a penny social, we call a Chinese Auction or Tricky Tray....funny how the same type of function has several different names. They are alot of fun to go to!!!!

That's also what we call them, but then again.....we are very close in proximity :yes AND we don't typically do 100 tix for a dollar :think

Well ladies,

I pulled out the sewing machine and gave it a go. Have figured some things about it, but can't seem to figure out how to go backwards AND my bobbin doesn't seem to be catching but every 3ish stitches :think The machine is a Necchi and I found the model # on it, so have been sitting here looking online for a manual which I can't seem to find cheaper than $10 :( But I did manage to find free instructions for proper threading so I'm going to check that first :think:xfin

Good morning again!

I'm not going to tell----Thought we'd play a little guessing game on the sex of my grandchild to be..... Just to add a little fun...... at the end of the night, I'll post what she is having......

I'll guess BOY ,only because it seems several of us have grandsons .... going with the averages !

I guarantee I am not a "young" Mary anymore lol.

working on the doily=ghan for the doily-ghan CAL. I'm having a lot of fun with this one and can't wait to start on the next!

tooo many WIP again...:lol

Hi Mary

It's a little unusual here in the house ,but I'd say we have 2 main age groups as a general rule :

a big chunk of the group is in their 50-60's ...........

the other chunk is right aroung the 30's..............

Good morning again!

After mulling it over, I'm going to guess a girl,......or boy...........or girl........or boy........OK, going to stick with girl :devil

Good morning again!

well, we have a 50% chance of guessing right!!:lol

I'm guessing a girl!

Well ladies,

I pulled out the sewing machine and gave it a go. Have figured some things about it, but can't seem to figure out how to go backwards AND my bobbin doesn't seem to be catching but every 3ish stitches :think The machine is a Necchi and I found the model # on it, so have been sitting here looking online for a manual which I can't seem to find cheaper than $10 :( But I did manage to find free instructions for proper threading so I'm going to check that first :think:xfin

I don't have a Necchi, but skipping the bobbin thread may be a tension problem. It may also mean the machine needs cleaning, the needle is dull or not suitable for the fabric being used, or the machine is threaded incorrectly..

On both of my machines I have to hold down a button to sew in reverse. On my mom's White, there is a lever on the right side for reverse.

Archived