Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Cindy, were you scheduled to work yesterday or did you take someone's shift? I imagine the nurses with younger families like to take it off if they can.

Linda, that's great your GS is home. I hope and pray all goes well.

Hi to Marlene, Joanne, and everyone lurking!

Off to start Monday chores.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and a belated Happy Mother's Day! :manyheart

Our power was off part of Saturday and yesterday morning.  Thankfully, we were lucky and had only 4 inches of rain and high winds.  Lots of tornadoes and flooding not far from us, though.  Today is cool and sunny with more rain expected the rest of the week!

Linda ~ Oh, I'm so glad dgs was able to come home. :hug 

Errands and two appointments this morning, so I'd better get going.  I have my project tote in the car. :) 

DGS was allowed to stay home from school today to catch up on sleep.  In fact, he's still asleep.  Boy Scout meeting tonight.

We had thunderstorms and rain again yesterday.  The temps dropped from the mid to upper 70s to low 60s with the weather change.  It's definitely chilly out there today.  The grass is thriving.  It's hard to find a dry moment to mow. 

DD and I have decided to do some gardening in her back yard.  She's going to build some raised beds and DGS and I will be responsible for the weeding and tending of it for the most part.  Assorted herbs and veggies are on the list, as are some fruits.  I suspect that we'll have to have a very large garden for all the things on the list, so some are sure to get cut along the way.  Asparagus is one of the items on the list as a for sure to get started now.

Mary, I'm so glad that you weren't in the tornado path.

Hope you all have a good Monday.  :ghug 

Linda, a garden is a great idea. I have some herbs in pots, which is as close as I'll ever get to something like that.

Cindy, I actually thought of you when I found that pattern. It reminds me of your baby blanket patterns with their symmetry.

Mary, did you get some crocheting done while out and about today?

I'm at row 112/150 on the graph ghan.

DGS is back in school today.  We got off to a rough start, but he's there which is a huge step back towards normal routines.

It's in the low 60s again today and for most of the rest of the week.  With the wind it feels super cold.  Of course, everything is relative.  A couple of months ago this would have felt positively balmy.   :P

I picked up one of Debbie Macomber's books, Back on Blossom Street, and I'm enjoying it tremendously.  So much so that I've just ordered 5 more through Thrift Books.  Five books for just $18.57 and free shipping.  I even broke down and ordered them all in the large print versions.  :lol   When I'm tired they're a lot easier to focus on than the regular print ones.  The one I'm reading has two prayer shawl patterns in it.  I'm getting very tempted to try the more difficult one.  It's to the point where I'm going to pick up the circular knitting needles for it and check out what weight yarn it requires.  I've done a lot of knitting in my time, just not a lot of it in the last few years.  I've done a lot of sweaters and vests with pictures on the front of them and found it to be challenging and very rewarding.  I still have some of them in my cedar chest. 

DGS is excited about the idea of having a garden.  He even added some suggestions to the list of things to go into it.  If we get everything on the list we're going to have a huge garden.  Some things are going to have to be cut out for our first year.  :lol  

Later:

I just got back from the LY&FS.  I now have the pointy sticks and yarn for the shawl I was talking about this morning (above) which I forgot to post when I wrote it.  I have 42" long size 8 Knitting Needles.  The yarn I picked out for it is Sunseeker Multis by Cascade Yarns in a medium turquoises, greens, and purple/blues.  It's 47% cotton, 48% acrylic, and 5% metallic and is machine wash and dryable.  The metallic is apparently used in fancy undies so it shouldn't be at all scratchy.

I just started the corned beef cooking for corned beef with potatoes, carrots, onions, and cabbage for tonight's supper.

I heated up water for tea while I was doing all this so it's been a busy 15 minutes.  Now I can relax and do something else until DGS gets home from school.  Nothing is on the agenda for tonight so that should help.

Have a good day everyone.  :manyheart   Hi to Val, Jill, and Donna.  I've been thinking about you.  How are things going? 

'Afternoon, everyone. :) 

Cindy ~ I hope things at work have slowed down a little.  How much longer until your counter tops are installed?

Judy ~ Yes, I was able to get ½ way through a scarf while waiting for DH yesterday!  Super progress on your graph 'ghan! :cheer

Linda ~ Your new yarn sounds beautiful.  And I love large print books!  I do use the Nook sometimes and can enlarge the font. ;) Keeping fingers crossed that dgs had a good day at school and things are turning around for him. :hug

Joanne ~ I hope you made it to craft club last night!  What are you working on?

We've had more rain this afternoon...just nice rain with no wind.  I've been getting ready for the boys - they'll be here from Thursday until Saturday afternoon.  Wish me luck. :lol  We'll have them for a whole week in July...I'd better rest up. ;)

Have a good evening, friends. :manyheart

Hi Ladies,

Judy, That's a nice dishcloth you made.

Linda, Glad to hear DGS is home. Hope he had a good day at school today. Prayers for all of you. I wish we had the room for a garden. DD does, but she doesn't have an interest and Maya's daddy doesn't really have the time as summer is much busier at work.

Cindy, Hope work slows down for you soon.

Mary, Glad you weren't in those tornadoes. Have fun with the boys later this week.

Joanne, Hope you made it to craft club. Sounds like you had a nice mothers day too.

Yesterday we went up north to help Zack move home from college. We were lucky enough to get the car loaded just before it started raining and it quite raining by the time we got it back to his other grandmas house.

Today we went and seen Gordy. Right now he isn't doing anything as when they move him his oxygen drops. He is retaining more fluid in the same area as last. It's not good. I wish there was something I could do but I know there isn't anything that I can do but visit him often. Tonight he thanked us for being such good friends.

Have a good wednesday everyone. Hopefully it is going to warm up here again. It's getting down to 37or 39 tonight.

Good morning. Chilly and windy here. I just turned the furnace up, it's freezing in here,

Marlene and Mary, evidently the powers that be expect the hospital to stay busy. I found out yesterday that they have instituted mandatory overtime for the summer and might extend it even longer. Continuous mandatory overtime says something about the competence, (or lack of competence), of upper management.

Mary, the counter tops were installed last week. There was a tiny scratch on the island, so today they are coming to repair that.

Linda, how was dgs's day at school yesterday? Hope it went well. The garden plans sound quite ambitious. We always have a small garden, just enough for eating fresh veggies, not for storing. We have plenty of room for a big garden but we don't want to work that hard. We have a strawberry patch and some raspberry bushes in other areas.

Judy, you are really moving along on that graph-ghan. (Spell check hates the abbreviation "ghan" and tried to turn it into "Ghana" and "gain" today. On other days it has turned it into "than" and "gam".

Marlene, so sorry to hear of Gordy's decline. It sounds like he really appreciates you and your short.

Today I need to clean bathrooms and launder a load of towels. Today is a Mother's Day social at mil's nursing home, so I'm going to that this afternoon. Tomorrow it's back to work.

Hi, ladies....

Been preoccupied since yesterday, We took Sparkie to the 24 hour vet hospital to be checked. He was acting strange for a couple of days and I had an ear open for him all Monday night. At 4 AM yesterday he had a major accident on the way to my letting him out...very foul smelling urine...hope there isn't anyone squeamish here,

Anyway, we wanted the vets to do a lot of tests to see what was going on, so they admitted him and he spent the night. 

Looks like we'll be able to pick him up this afternoon after he's weaned from the IV fluids. He's bright and alert this morning and has a normal temp now, so despite still waiting for a couple of cultures to come back he must be on the right antibiotics. We were fearing the worst.

Lucy has been looking for him - we all miss the big lug....

Good afternoon everyone.  I'm loggy today mostly from not enough sleep the past few days.  DGS came home on the bus in a good mood yesterday.  He was late getting up today, but he made it to school without needing any assistance from.  Yay!  But by the time they left I was awake if not too functional.

I started the shawl last night.  Got around 10 rows into it and realized there was a rather glaring mistake early on and took it to the frog pond.  Restarted it and it's working well now.  I'm not quite as far into it as I was, but I'm getting close.  I've got this part of the pattern down now.  I'm liking the look of it.  The yarn is going to be beautiful with the pattern.  The subtle shading is great.  I still have to stay focused on it at this point.

The house was really chilly this morning.  DD had turned on the A/C before the temps dropped down again.  She turned it back on after DGS complained of being super cold this morning.  Yesterday I opted for one of DDs sweat shirts and I've got it on again today.  It makes a world of difference.

Judy, hope that all is well now with Sparkie.  Sounds like you had quite a scare.  Glad he's better now.

I got a phone call from the apartment manager this morning wondering if I was okay.  One of the other residents had notified them that they hadn't see me around and were worried.  She was so relieved when I answered and said that I was okay.  I gave her permission to tell them where I was and should be back in a week or sohe  when things calmed down here.  It's going better than I had feared it might. 

When I was fixing the corned beef and veggies yesterday afternoon DGS soft footed up behind me and gave me a big hug from behind.  Scared me silly for a moment.  I gave him a hug in return.  He had the biggest grin on his face.  He was delighted to have surprised me.  The med changes have brought about a huge change for the better.  I have to get used to the new kid as he's very different than the one from before last week.

Wishing you all the best.

Hi House. :)

Marlene ~ You've been really busy!  I remember the days of moving DD back and forth to college...with a small u-haul trailer. ;)   I'm so sorry about Gordy's condition. :hug   How is Mary doing?

Cindy ~ Mandatory overtime!  I know there is a shortage of nurses in some areas...how much more will you have to work?  Yay for having your kitchen back together!

Judy ~ Aww, hopefully the antibiotics will take care of what's wrong.  I know it's so hard when our babies are sick. :hug  Even Zoe seems to miss Gracie when she's had to be at the vet. ;) 

Linda ~ Oh, you sound so relieved. :manyheart  I bet that big hug from dgs felt really good. :)

We took a long time friend downtown this a.m. (His wife, Candy, died earlier this year)  He had to have some reconstructive surgery for skin cancer and they scheduled it for 6 a.m.!  Their non-emergency van will take him home this afternoon.  Then we came home and I left to run errands - all of this in pouring rain.

We'll pick up the boys from pre-school about 1 tomorrow...it's supposed to rain almost every day of the next 5.  We may need an ark! Lol

Hi Ladies,

Cindy, Mandatory overtime-BOO! Don't they realize people like to spend time with families in the summer. They should of done some hiring.

Linda, Great news about DGS. Can't wait to see pics of your shawl.

Judy, Hope Sparkie is doing much better now. It's a scary time waiting for test results.

Mary, We have rain going from friday to monday. I've had enough already. I can't wait for it to start warming up again. Mary is hanging in there. She also has there son who lives with them. But some days he's no support at all. We seen he's back to drinking again. His cop out to dealing with his dad. Hubby stopped in and visited with her this morning when he was in town.

We went to visit Gordy again today. We are going to busy the next few days and then I will be gone to Maya's from sunday to tuesday. DD has to go to Detroit for work meetings. I will be taking Maya to school and pick her up. Not sure if hubby is going this time or nor yet. He has dentist appt tomorrow morning then ptsd counseling and group in the afternoon and friday he sees the heart doctor. So we will be staying with my sister tomorrow night. I haven't seen her since february. I also have to get the brakes checked out as something is making a noise. We have never had to fix anything on any of are cars except for the beaters. I hope it's an easy fix. I'm off to bed I have to be up early. Hoping everyone has a nice thurday and friday!

a quick good morning to all!

Sparkie is doing better - a bit more gimpy on his bad back leg after time in the crate and being handled for diagnostic tests, but he'll get improve the more he moves around. I let him out to pee alot yesterday and late last night and early this morning - all the IV fluids had to get out...otherwise his appetite is fine and he is very clingy. I lay on the floor with him last evening and he closed his eyes and napped a bit while I stayed there. 

After nearly choking at the bill from the vet, hubby signed up both dogs for pet insurance.

BBL

Good morning everyone.  Today got off to a late start again, but DGS is bright and chipper and in a super good mood.  They left and then came back again.  They had picked up new socks for DGS and both had forgotten their morning meds.  They're both back off again now.  Today should be a quiet day.  The tension in my shoulders is finally gone.  There was one short outburst last night, but not nearly as long or as violent as before.  I handled it just fine on my own.  DD and I had home made apple pie as our bedtime snack and it was delicious.  There was Canadian bacon pizza for supper. 

I ended up at the frog pond again last night.  :reyes  The center stitch in the pattern is supposed to have the same number of stitches on both sides of it.  I had 13 on one side and 15 on the other.   :eek  I don't know what happened.   :no  Anyway, the frogs were happy to see me again.  :2frog  :frog  :2frog  I'm going to get some more stitch markers today.  It is restarted but just barely.  I was too tired to concentrated on it. 

I went to bed early and feel lots better after 10 straight hours of sleep.

Marlene, it sounds like a busy few days coming up for you and hubby.  Stay safe with all your journeys.

Judy, I'm so glad that Sparkie is doing better.  :clap

Hope you all have a wonderful day.  :manyheart

Good Morning. :)

Marlene ~ Your schedule sounds super busy.  Safe travels the next few days. :yes   I hope there's nothing serious with your car...that's never fun!

Judy ~ Aww, I'm so glad Sparkie is doing better. :manyheart   Gracie is still on leash inside and out and she is so ready to be free again.  It's going to be hard while the little guys are here because she loves playing with them.

Linda ~ I hope you are having another good day. :hug

I sold the hexagon afghan!  She doesn't want it shipped before Saturday, so I've packed it up and will ship then.  I'm still surprised, but excited whenever I have a sale. :)

Linda, that's great about your grandson.

And I've had that happen with graph ghans....and ended up frogging some rows just because I was off by only 2 stitches or so. Sometimes I just have to step away from it!

Mary, how much longer does Gracie have to be on the leash?

No hook time today - maybe tomorrow.

I sold the hexagon afghan!  She doesn't want it shipped before Saturday, so I've packed it up and will ship then.  I'm still surprised, but excited whenever I have a sale. :)

Fantastic news! That was a beauty....

Good morning ladies. It's raining again. It's pretty chilly at the moment but it's supposed to warm up. My niece is getting married tomorrow, so I hope the weather clears for her.

I have a few errands to run today, and I was thinking of hitting a few garage sales while I was out and about, but I doubt many will be open in the rain,

Mary, congratulations on another sale! Linda, sorry about the frogging. Glad to hear that things are going much better for dogs.

good morning ladies.

Sparkie is acting himself this morning - he joined Miss Lucy in a chorus of barking at the front door a bit ago :clap

Cindy, I hope the weather cooperates for the wedding! We've had very chilly nighttime temps here, but only one rainstorm several days ago. There's still a risk for fire in the state. We had a taste of summer about a week ago, so I don't mind if it stays like this: 50's at night and about 70 in the afternoon. :D

Have a good day my friends.

Good evening.  I went back to sleep after DD and DGS left this morning and didn't wake up until it went off at 1:00 pm.  Guess I really needed it.  I had an appointment with the pain therapy psychiatrist this afternoon which went well and decreased my stress quite a bit.   

DD and DGS opted out of the boy scout campout this weekend.  They are setting up a telescope so that they can do some star gazing on the back porch instead.  Hoping for a quieter weekend. 

I've got the prayer shawl back to the place where I messed up last time and figured out how I messed it up by almost doing it again.  In a few more rows I'll be getting to the next part of the pattern which is super different and more complicated.  I've got my fingers crossed that that goes smoother that the first little bit.

Good Morning. :)

Mary, that is wonderful news.  Your things are so lovely that I'm not at all surprised that it sold.  :clap

Wishing you all a great weekend.  :manyheart

Good morning peeps!

Linda, I love looking up at the night sky, esp in winter. Right now the trees that were barren over the winter are super full, and they're so tall that the view from the yard isn't quite as good. We have a couple of men on the block who go out to the boonies with their telescopes, esp if meteor showers or other things are expected. It may turn into a life long hobby for GS.

I'm so glad your doctor appointment went well.

Well, it's been an expensive week. The humongous vet hospital bill...yesterday I had an eye exam and got new frams. My eyes are wonky, so I stick with the same eye doc. The frames...well, they are a treat for me. I got what I thought looked best, instead of looking at the price first. Oh, well....I'm planning for these frames to be in use for many, many years.

And this morning we're having a partially dead tree cut down.

Yikes.

At least I don't need any summer clothes or things like that. :P

Have  a great weekend, my friends.

Hi House!  I'll catch up more tomorrow, but wanted to say hello...we survived the last 3 days with the boys. :lol

Thank you for the compliments about the hexagon 'ghan. :manyheart

Linda ~ I forgot that we still have DD's telescope from her childhood.  I'm so glad you shared with us - we can take it over for the boys!

Judy ~ Yep, some weeks really ruin the budget!  I'm glad Sparkie is better and that you treated yourself to new frames. :yes

Cindy ~ I hope the weather cooperated for your niece's wedding. :)

We're under severe weather watches again.  I just need sleep! ;)

Have a good evening, friends. :ghug

Good morning peeps!

Mary, I know it'll be a relief when Gracie isn't restricted any longer. I can't imagine weeks doing that with my guys.

We had thunderstorms last night, So I know about not sleeping when storms are around...let's just say Sparkie would never make it in a war zone. He wouldn't do his business, even when the boomers stopped. There must be a scent in the air or something - he panics and runs back for the house and that's IF I can get him out the door in the first place! I wanted to go to sleep early but stayed up to see if he would go out - all he did was run into the bathroom and hide his face between the tub and door when I mentioned it. So, when he woke up at 3:30 so did I.

I really need more than three hours sleep a night.

Later gators.

Archived