Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Hello from Iowa!  I haven't caught up on what's going on, but did want to check in with you.  Vacation is going well.  The family reunion was super.   I saw soo many cousins that I haven't seen in ever so long and got to chat with them and catch up with what is going on in their lives now.  One of the cousins had found a book belonging to my great-grandfather when cleaning out the attic of the mother's house after her death and gave it to me.  It's a compendium of information for the home which has one book for caring for human illnesses, complete with home remedies and how to make them.  One is for caring for animal illnesses, complete with the home remedies necessary to treat them.  And one is on recipes for all kinds of foods.  I am having a wonderful time reading it.

My DD and GS went to cub scout camp for three days.  I stayed home and rested and went out for several hours with a friend from DD's church one of those days.

I have been to a group of her fellow crafters twice while here, too.  They meet at a coffee shop on Monday evenings for several hours.  Wonderful group of people.  If I ever move back to Iowa I'll have a number of groups that I could easily become a member of.  This being one of them.

I've been enjoying reading a number of books in a series by Anne McCaffrey that I haven't read in a long time, if at all.  And the cats have been coming to me for attention from day one.

I've crocheted on a prayer shawl and reached 48"  from point to point on it.  And I've reached about 56" on another one.  Both started on this vacation.

I've gotten to try out 2 spinning wheels while here, too.  At this point I still feel like I'm trying to pat my head, rub my stomach, and hop on one foot.  Awkward to say the least, but I think I could get the hang of it with some more practice.  I'll be trying out at least one more before I go home and maybe more.  I picked up some white wool roving to play with on them. 

Quite a few things are on the agenda for this week, including some quilt store shopping, and furniture moving.  Maybe a trip to the Amana Colonies.  And a trip to the Cub Scout camp grounds on Saturday. 

The time is just flying by.  Hope things are going well with all of you. 

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning,

Our router died so only have DH's computer hooked directly up to the modem and he was on last night---so no computer time for me. He ordered a new router and tomorrow night I'll have internet access again on my laptop and mini.

Marlene- Prayers for Mary! I'll be thinking about you today and hope that all goes well with her surgery. Bring something to crochet while you are waiting.

Linda- It sure sounds like you having a wonderful vacation! I'm so glad that you checked in. Enjoy the rest of your time in Iowa!!!

Cindy - I chuckled about the camping- and DH changing his mind. Enjoy your time off work- even if you do nothing but craft and read!

Judy- I love the crab stitch and now use it often when bordering blankets. Phyllis showed me how to do it! I would go with the darker color- I think some of you ladies are the ones that suggested using darker colors on borders....but some of those blankets framed in white do look oh so pretty! Whatever you decide, I know it will be gorgeous!!!

Sherry- Hope your day yesterday wasn't too terrible and that you are able to get that brace replaced.

Marisa- I loved the pics about KtB you posted on FB. It's going to be awesome when the Warhol bridge is covered!!!

Mary I have an Iphone 4 for home and iphone 5 for work. DH switched from iphone to Galaxy about 6 mos ago. I still love my 4 and have no plans to upgrade. I like having all the features and since I am away from home i.e. work all the time, I like being able to access the web. We can't use the web for 'pleasure' at work. LOL

Have fun with the hexies. OH, and the ripple I'm making is from staceydaze blog. It's really mindless.

Val- How are you doing?

Just checked the time, so I've got to get going. To everyone I didn't mention individually- have a good day.

Hi Ladies. ♥♥♥

Marlene ~ Mary is in my thoughts and prayers today. :hug  

Linda ~ I loved reading about your trip so far...you sound very relaxed and happy. :)   The Amana Colonies were always a wonderful day trip when we would go back to Iowa for a visit.

Marisa ~ Hi! 

Joanne ~ 'Hope the router arrives today so you can have your internet back! 

Gracie is at the groomers and the tree guys are working their magic on our trees. :yes   This time, we're having them raise the canopies up higher - our backyard has begun to feel like a cave. :lol   It always makes me a little nervous - the noise and people climbing all over my trees is definitely distracting. ;)

Hi ladies!

Linda, great hearing from you - you sound like you're having a great time!

Marlene, prayers for Mary...

Joanne and Mary - Hi!  Mary, after Sandy last year we raised our canopy of trees too.

Last square is attached and am beginning the border. I showed a  WW peep what I was doing - she's a knitter but recently took up hooking so she was super interested! I do crochet during meetings - with permission of the group leader. :)  I'm back to my goal weight...and plan on going down a bit more. Better for my ankles, etc....

BBL!

Good afternoon ladies :hi

I have Averie and Sloan today and we watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part I....only one more to go to finish the series and the kids are really enjoying them. Averie just a bit more than Sloan, but I think that's the age difference. Not sure if we'll watch the last one next week or the week after, my parents will be here next week, they are coming Saturday and leaving probably Wednesday after mom's colonoscopy :think So probably we won't be watching a movie. My mom usually has activities up her sleeve. We got pizza today since the kids were being good and Sloan went the extra step and let Averie have the big comfy chair :lol They both wanted it and usually Averie lays down to go right back to sleep when they get here, she's so not a morning person but Sloan is so he's always ready to go :shrug

Tomorrow afternoon is another training for KtB and then the last core group meeting. It's only a week and a half away!!!! I'm getting more and more excited :bounce

Marlene - Prayers for Mary :hug

Joanne - I hope you get your router taken care of.  I have an android and am due for an upgrade, but love my phone so much that I'm just not interested :lol

Linda - So glad to hear your vacation is going so well and you're getting quite a bit accomplished!

Mary - Hopefully they'll finish the work quickly so you don't have to keep hearing all the climbing.

Judy - I can't wait to see your final product!

Hey, Marisa! You're so good with the kids! I'll be curious to see how the KTB thing goes down.....

Well, I finished attaching all the squares - still have some small ends to weave in, but meanwhile I went around the ghan with one round of the soft white so it's nice and even for the pink border. Liking the look so far....

Have a good night everyone.

Hi everyone. I've had a busy day cleaning, doing laundry and gardening. I got a lot done for a change. Now I'm sitting out on the front porch watching dh cut grass.

Linda, it sounds like you are having a wonderful time on vacation.

Marlene, hope Mary's surgery went well today and she has a quick recovery.

Judy, can't wait to see how your afghan looks. It sounds so pretty.

Joanne, hope your computer issues are fixed soon, and that work slows down for you. I have an iPhone 4 (I think) and it does lots more than I need it to do. I know dh would like to upgrade, but it doesn't matter to me. He always likes to have the latest thing, whereas I could care less. As far as I'm concerned any old phone will do. It's nice to have that Internet access, but I got along without it before I got this phone, and I could do it again. We aren't supposed to use the web for pleasure at work, but the hospital has a guest network that we can use on our breaks. I usually just use my phone if I want to get online, but to be truthful, I don't want to very often. II usually converse with my co-workers at lunch.

Mary, we live in the woods, but only a few trees hag over our house, and we are considering having them removed. Dh worries that they will fall on the house in the event of a serious storm. The expense has deterred us so far, though.

Val hasn't been around here lately, I hope she's okay. I do see her on Facebook once in a while.

Marisa, seems like all of a sudden KtB is almost here. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

Sherry, hope you have gotten the books arranged correctly by now. Once that happens will work be less stressful?

Have a good night everyone.

Hi Ladies, Thanks for the prayers for Mary but will you keep her in your prayers a little longer please. She didn't have surgery today as the doctor was still in or at 2:30 and didn't know when he would be done and didn't want to do Mary's surgery. So she is first thing in the morning. With no complications it could take up to 6 hours. We were glad they canceled it. We want everyone fresh and ready.

Linda, It sounds like your enjoying your vacation and keeping busy.

Marisa, The kids are going to miss coming to your office for movies and lunch when they go back to school. Can't wait to see the  KTB come together.

Judy, Yay on WW! Can't wait to see the baby afghan.

Joanne, Bummer on the router. I hope It arrives on time and your back up and working. I did have my crocheting with me but didn't get to it. Visiting.

Cindy, Tomorrow you should be able to have a crafting day after your busy day today.

Mary, Hope the tree guys weren't there all day. Are neighbor has someone coming to trip there tree. The other neighbor had someone here a couple of weeks ago doing his tree. Nothing that will take to long though.

I'm heading to bed. My head hurts, and my elbow and my hand are bothering me tonight. So rest is in order tonight.

Hope everyone has a great wednesday!

Hi, again.  Sending prayers for a successful surgery tomorrow for Mary.

I worked on the spinning wheel again today until the cord that runs it came untied.  It was easier this time, although the results are very uneven at this point.  I could see myself getting one in the future.  It is certainly faster than with the drop spindles.  Just very uneven at this point & very, very curly.  Not too bad for how little I've done of it.  Another expensive play toy may be in my future.  :P :P

All three of us played Starwars Monopoly this afternoon.  DD was definitely winning when the game ended.  GS got too frustrated to continue.  I was on the verge of bankruptcy, too, so it wouldn't have lasted much longer in any event.  :reyes 

For those of you trimming your trees, it sounds like a good idea.  So many are coming down this year because of too much rain and all of the stress they've been under with the multiple years of drought  before that.

We went to the local frozen yogurt place for a treat before GS's bedtime tonight.  He's been awfully good while I've been here.

Have a great day tomorrow!     :ghug

Hi, peeps!

Linda, did you wear out the spinning wheel? LOL!

Marlene, it sounds like you overdid it - I hope you feel better today. And I like Mary's doctor....better to be fresh for that surgery!

Cindy, I like the gadgets, DH isn't a huge fan, but does like to Google stuff if he has down time and we're out. I'm trying to restrain myself. Downsizing the phones, though are in the future - for me, at least. THe bill is ridiculous! That and the cable/internet/phone bill. Blech.

Later, gators!

Good morning everyone. It's really dark and gloomy here. It's after 9 in the morning and it's pretty dark in here. It's not really raining, but it's wet, kind of like a mist coming down. Even the dog wants to be inside.

Judy, we already downgraded our cable to basic. If it was up to me I'd get rid of it entirely. We rarely watch it, but dh wanted to keep it. I get a 21% discount on our cell phone service through work, but if I didn't I'd see if we could get rid of the data part of our plan. We still have a land line phone as well which is probably a waste of money. It's time we think about cutting some costs though, as I am thinking of retiring within a few years. I'll be quite a bit too young for Medicare still though, so it will depend on what I can find for health insurance. There are also a few pricey house repair/renovations I'd like done first, new windows and a new kitchen.

Marlene, Mary should be in surgery at this time, hope all goes well.

Linda, my mom told me once that my grandma liked to spin, and that she, (my mom), knew how. She said she was never good at it, but she found it Relaxing. My nephew and his wife have a small farm and they raise sheep, among other things. His wife is thinking of learning to spin. They sell their wares at a farm market, and she says there is a market there for handspun yarn, Last year she had some fleece processed and spun by someone else and gave her mom, mil and sisters in law skeins of yarn for Christmas. She'd like to learn to do it all herself.

The urge to clean has left me, so today will be crafting, reading and relaxing. Work tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning housemates!

I haven't read post yet.  I wanted to check in since I feel okay today.

I had a follow up with the doctor on the 18th.  My blood count is low, my blood pressure had improved but not like she wanted it to.  She changed the blood pressure med.  My next follow up is 9/5 with a visit to the cardiologist in between.  Hopefully, I'm getting past the point where the meds make me tired.  I didn't feel like doing anything including typing.  With facebook, it's easy to click or do one liners lol.

My laptop died.  I'm having to use my sister's when she's taking a break.  I'm going to buy me a new one as soon as I get my check from my dad's estate.  It should be coming soon.  I will check in as often as I can.

I have completed two crochet orders and I'm finishing up a Noah's Ark blanket for another order and one more to start.  It's taken me much longer than usual but I've gotten it done in spurts.

Enough about me...I hope all of you and your families are doing well.  I'll go back and read later.  I just wanted to jump back in and let you guys know what's going on with me.  I've missed the house.

Have a great day everybody!!  I'll be back when I can!  :ghug

Hi, Val! I can understand your being tired....the medical issues and medication are going to take you time to get used to. It's good to see you! Sorry about the laptop! That's a strange feeling when you're without it.

Good morning everyone. It's really dark and gloomy here. It's after 9 in the morning and it's pretty dark in here. It's not really raining, but it's wet, kind of like a mist coming down. Even the dog wants to be inside.
smart dog!
Judy, we already downgraded our cable to basic. Hubby loves TV....everything from real life trials to sports and news...Me, I'm at the point where if I have a good DVD to watch I can get news, etc from the internet or radio. Yes, we still have old fashioned radios ;) If it was up to me I'd get rid of it entirely. We rarely watch it, but dh wanted to keep it. I get a 21% discount on our cell phone service through work, but if I didn't I'd see if we could get rid of the data part of our plan. We still have a land line phone as well which is probably a waste of money.Ditto on the land line, too -- Once DH retires from this second career maybe we can get rid of the "Triple Play" bundle. It's time we think about cutting some costs though, as I am thinking of retiring within a few years. I'll be quite a bit too young for Medicare still though, so it will depend on what I can find for health insurance. There are also a few pricey house repair/renovations I'd like done first, new windows and a new kitchen.

Marlene, Mary should be in surgery at this time, hope all goes well.

Linda, my mom told me once that my grandma liked to spin, and that she, (my mom), knew how. She said she was never good at it, but she found it Relaxing. My nephew and his wife have a small farm and they raise sheep, among other things. His wife is thinking of learning to spin. They sell their wares at a farm market, and she says there is a market there for handspun yarn, Last year she had some fleece processed and spun by someone else and gave her mom, mil and sisters in law skeins of yarn for Christmas. She'd like to learn to do it all herself.

The urge to clean has left me, so today will be crafting, reading and relaxing. Work tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great day.

I need sunshine to clean :)

And hubby and I were just talking about the cost of things, like the food shopping. There are  alot of things he likes that add up quite fast...he's just realizing that, esp since he comes shopping with me most of the time. We'll see where that goes...lol!

Hi all,

DH forgot to stop on the way home to pick up the router he ordered at Staples...he had a few other errands to run after work and totally forgot about it. I told him since he forgot, I get to use his computer for a bit to check in with my friends since his is the one hooked up directly to the modem. He promised he'd stop tomorrow night and get the router so I'll have use of my laptop and ipad mini again!

Marlene- Hope all went well with Mary's surgery today

Linda- Spinning sounds like f un- and sounds like you are really enjoying it. One of the LYS about 1/2 hr from here has a 'spinning guild' and they sell spindles and have classes. Maybe one day when I'm not so darn busy with work!

Judy and Cindy- We've also downgraded to basic cable. The bill is ridiculous. I'd like to get Fios, but it's not available in my town. It's crazy that the only thing  you get is either satellite service or Cablevision- we also have the 'triple play' that includes a landline. I told DH we should get rid of it, but he's hesitant to. Why? I have no idea why! LOL

Cindy- Hope you had a nice relaxing day doing what you enjoy doing.

Val- Glad to see a post from you. I had a biometric screening at work and I'm happy to report that my BP is good, glucose is good, and my cholesterol, just a little high, and I was thrilled with that. BMI is good and the only thing I wasn't happy about is that I've gained 4 lbs. Time to go back on my WW and lose it. Also, I was happy that I'm still at my same height. I said when he measured me, "Yay- I am not shrinking"!!!

Well, that's it from this neck of the woods---busy busy busy-

Hi Ladies,

Mary's surgery went well. They did 3 arteries.

Val, Nice to see you! Hopefully soon you'll feel a lot better. Sorry about your laptop.

Linda, Glad your enjoying your spinning.

Cindy, Hope you had a fun me day today.

Judy, I would like to cut are cable more to, but hubby likes watching tv.

Joanne, Sorry hubby forgot to pick up the router.

I hope everyone has a nice day tomorrow!

Good evening. It rained here off and on all day. I didn't do much today, just my daily chores, and then I read and crafted until it was time to cook dinner. I finished a dishcloth that I started a few weeks ago.

I have to work tomorrow, and I may go grocery shopping on my way home. It will save me a trip out on Friday. I thought we could wait until next week, but we are pretty much out of produce and dh says we "need" diet coke and pretzels.

Val, I'm glad to see a post from you. Hope you are back to feeling a little more energetic soon.

Joanne, I'm glad hubby let you use his laptop. My laptops wireless card s broken, so mine is the one hooked into the modem around here. I mostly use my iPad though.

Marlene, good to hear that Mary's surgery went well. Hope she recovers quickly.

Good night everyone.

Hi, ya peeps!

Cindy, I'm sure you needed a day of not doing much! You have a lot on your plate.

Marlene, good to hear Mary's surgery went well!

Joanne, yay for not shrinking! I can't say the same for me....

I'm on the last row of the edging for the 9 patch. Hopefully I'll have a pic for much-neglected photo Friday.  I also discovered a box of old stuff from DS in the attic and I have an early crocheted item I found I want to share with you guys.

BBL!

Good morning housemates!

Just checking in.

Nothing going on here.  I'm going to attach the boat and animals to the Noah's ghan and start the yellow ghan for another order.  I received an order last night as well.

I'm going to lay down a couple of hours before I get started.  This dark and dreary weather is not helping at all.

Have a great day all.

hi again!

I posted the elephant blankie on FB - I made it for DS when he was a baby and just found it again. The other pics are two views of the baby 9 patch. Before washing it to soften up the way it lays. It's 33 inches square.

post-8552-0-87982000-1375378908_thumb.jpg

post-8552-0-26394500-1375378919_thumb.jpg

post-8552-0-53940100-1375378928_thumb.jpg

Judy - how beautiful!!!  Love it!!  You did a great job on it.

Joanne - Hope things are good for your work.  Too bad your router died but hopefully DH will remember tomorrow night to pick it up. 

Didn't get to read everything.  I've had both GS this week.  DD had a test Monday, so they spent the night.  Then Tuesday morning DD twisted her ankle (again) coming down the stairs, so I've had them all week since she's not able to get up much.  I told her to quit wearing those really high heels and she said all she had to do was strengthen her ankles--if she continues to sprain/twist it a lot, she'll never get them strong.  But she loves her shoes, so she'll probably never stop wearing them.  :(   but the boys have had a good time.  They have 2 more weeks before school starts, so hopefully next week they will be able to spend some time with DD. 

Work has been horrible.  I'm soooooo tired of all the drama.  At least tomorrow will be (I hope) a very quiet day.  Next week will be busy as it's time to do the financials again (and they aren't going to like the new format). 

Got the brace fixed, just a simple screw was missing.  It's now all good and back to normal.  So, I guess I'd better go and get it on--now that the boys are asleep.

Have a great evening all!

Thanks, Sherry!

I'm so happy to hear your brace was so easily fixed - what a relief for you! I hope the drama at work ends soon. Bad enough when you have to work outside the home - then dealing with that stuff....ugh!

Our good friends are coming by today - could you keep Gary in your prayers and good thoughts? He had a biopsy done and he has melanoma...more cutting and testing needs to be done (maybe next week) and, understandably, we're very concerned.

While I'm waiting for them to get here at noon I think I'll start one of my "me" projects. It's either a lacy scarf using bamboo thread or the top down shawl - or both! The colors for both are soooo pretty.

Happy Friday, all. :manyheart

Judy ~ Your baby 'ghan is precious!  :c9  Beautiful work and the colors are so pretty together.  I love the graph baby 'ghan, too!  I still have the first one I made for DD - very worn, but all in one piece. ;)   I'll be keeping your friend, Gary, in my thoughts and prayers. :hug

Valerie ~ I  was so glad to see your posts! ♥   WTG on your afghan sales. :cheer   I think it took three trys on the BP pills before one really worked for me - 'hope you get used to them before long. :hug

Sherry ~ So glad your brace was fixed easily. :)  I hope you have a relaxing weekend - work sure doesn't sound like fun lately. :no

Hi to the rest of my House friends, too.

The last couple of days have been super busy.  The tree guys did a beautiful job and I can see the sky again!  DH had appt's. Wed. and yesterday, and we went by DD's to see the boys.  They're going to be in Houston visiting friends until Monday - so we've not been home much.  I can't wait to sit down with my hook and hexagons again. :yes   Have a great morning, everyone. :manyheart

Good evening ladies :eek

Well, I opened this up this morning and then got busy with a few patients, ran errands and just finished up some paperwork.  I skipped through alot of the posts, but I saw a couple gorgeous ghans Judy! :manyheart  I have a few patients in the morning so will try to stop in, but am not making any promises :blush  My parents are driving in tomorrow and staying until Wednesday after my mom's colonoscopy.  So, I'll probably be pretty sparse yet again :( 

I'm heading to the Pirates game tonight with Steph, so really need to get a move on it so I'm not running late.

Happy Friday, all. :manyheart

Judy ~ Your baby 'ghan is precious!  :c9  Beautiful work and the colors are so pretty together.Thanks!  I love the graph baby 'ghan, too!It looks like a graphghan but this was a sc withx-stitch over it.All I could even imagine doing in those early days  I still have the first one I made for DD - very worn, but all in one piece. ;)   Aw, how sweet! I'll be keeping your friend, Gary, in my thoughts and prayers. :hugThank you so much....

The last couple of days have been super busy.  The tree guys did a beautiful job and I can see the sky again! Yay!  DH had appt's. Wed. and yesterday, and we went by DD's to see the boys.The time spent  with the boys must fly!  They're going to be in Houston visiting friends until Monday - so we've not been home much.  I can't wait to sit down with my hook and hexagons again. :yes   Have a great morning, everyone. :manyheart

Good evening ladies :eek

Well, I opened this up this morning and then got busy with a few patients, ran errands and just finished up some paperwork.  I skipped through alot of the posts, but I saw a couple gorgeous ghans Judy! :manyheart  I have a few patients in the morning so will try to stop in, but am not making any promises :blush  My parents are driving in tomorrow and staying until Wednesday after my mom's colonoscopy.  So, I'll probably be pretty sparse yet again :( 

I'm heading to the Pirates game tonight with Steph, so really need to get a move on it so I'm not running late.

Thanks, Marisa! Enjoy the game tonight and seeing your mom....

Our friends have gone home. Gary says he's not worried about the next biopsy and what it might indicate...I think my hubby is doing more than enough worrying for both of them....

Have a good night my friends.

Hello everyone. I ran errands this morning, did laundry and then dh and I went out to Lake Michigan for a few hours. It's cloudy and cool here, but there were a ton of people out there.

Tomorrow ds is moving back from Detroit. Dh and our son in law are going down there to help him. Two of the grandsons are coming to spend the day with me tomorrow. Then everyone will eat dinner here. It's supposed to be chilly tomorrow, so I think we will have hot dogs over a fire. The boys will enjoy that.

Judy, your pink afghan is lovely. I also like the one you made your ds. When dd was born, I knit her a blanket, (it took about 7 months, and didnt turn out all that wonderful!:)),and also made her a quilt. It was my plan to do that for each child, but time was scarce and it didn't happen.

Well, gotta go, dh wants me to watch tv with him. Guess I'll humor him today!

Archived