A Doily to Blanket A~Long

heart

hmmm, this thread has been quiet for a while. well, I finally got my doily-ghan finished.(a couple days ago, admittedly) and we are having a lovely sunny morning today, so I took a photo to share!

post-7396-135897649223_thumb.jpg

Finished size, about 34-35"

This doilyghan was made using the Romantic Pineapples doily pattern, linked to in post 3. It is quite lacy, but that is what I was going for, anyway. :)

For this ghan, I was determined to use yarn on hand, and experiments with WW determined that would have been sofa sized, (I had WW, and a pretty color, though not coordinating well with my living room) So I dug some more and found two cones of some knitting yarn that looked like they might have enough. And I got it all out of one cone (they were partials I picked up cheap somewhere, probably a garage sale or something, and stashed away)

It's a rather fine yarn, it was very happy on my E (3.5mm) hook. It appears to be an acrylic/nylon blend, as it has some sparkle to it.

Sometime maybe, I would like to try it with sport weight yarn, and a G hook, and that would be lovely too. (and a great size for a drapey, lacey christening/other special occasion blanket)

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I am not a member of this CAL but I did want to tell Mom that her doily-ghan is gorgeous! It is so delicate I would not have taken it for an afghan at all. You are right — it would be a fabulous blanket for a special occasion in a baby's life! :flower

Thanks, Carla! I think it's a little more substantial than it shows in the picture...should I take a close-up shot or two? The person to whom I will be giving this, is expecting baby #5 (girl #2) in 6 weeks. I thought it would be nice to make something special for her. she'll probably have plenty of practical blankets, having that many older siblings! (I know there are a couple more "practical" every-day, new ones already there--I've seen them...hence, I go with impractical. :D)

I hope I'm not too late to join in.... I just found this crochet-a-long about a week ago. I have the circular baby afghans book, so this inspired me to give one a try. I love all of the pictures that have been posted so far...they're all great! I'm doing mine in white "I Love This Yarn" - here's what I've got so far ~~~

Joni,

Very pretty! I also have the circular baby afghans I LOVE that book. So far I have made 2 ripples of joy and then i did make partial Ripples of joy for the NICU babies, I am dooing Ooops A Daisy and ran out of white yarn I was doing it in AND I am oncall for my job and cant get to the store for more yarn, so I had a bunch of black RH soft so I started the Morning Glory one in black. I will post when I get them finished! Yours looks fantastic so far!

Penny:c9

hmmm, this thread has been quiet for a while. well, I finally got my doily-ghan finished.(a couple days ago, admittedly) and we are having a lovely sunny morning today, so I took a photo to share!

[ATTACH]37972[/ATTACH]

This doilyghan was made using the Romantic Pineapples doily pattern, linked to in post 3. It is quite lacy, but that is what I was going for, anyway. :)

For this ghan, I was determined to use yarn on hand, and experiments with WW determined that would have been sofa sized, (I had WW, and a pretty color, though not coordinating well with my living room) So I dug some more and found two cones of some knitting yarn that looked like they might have enough. And I got it all out of one cone (they were partials I picked up cheap somewhere, probably a garage sale or something, and stashed away)

It's a rather fine yarn, it was very happy on my E (3.5mm) hook. It appears to be an acrylic/nylon blend, as it has some sparkle to it.

Sometime maybe, I would like to try it with sport weight yarn, and a G hook, and that would be lovely too. (and a great size for a drapey, lacey christening/other special occasion blanket)

Woah, that is absolutely amazing! I am a Lactation Consultant in my county job as Public Health nurse and my moms would more than likely love something like this as a throw for breastfeeding..... give me a great idea of how to put my crochet to use beside's charity for NICU... :cheer

Penny

[ATTACH]37972[/ATTACH]

Its gorgeous!

RoseRed, I'd say it's about 35" (unblocked of course, being acrylic) once I pulled it even all the way around, it might be a tad larger. the mystery brand fibre I used was finer than the sport-weight baby yarns, maybe closer to sock-yarn or fingering weight. hope that helps.

Penny, you have a wonderful job! all those moms and babies. :) I hadn't thought of it, but it would make a pretty cover for nursing (might be too sheer for some of them, but the design is pretty enough that I would think it would distract from what's going on "underneath the modesty cover" so to speak. :) )

RoseRed, I'd say it's about 35" (unblocked of course, being acrylic) once I pulled it even all the way around, it might be a tad larger. the mystery brand fibre I used was finer than the sport-weight baby yarns, maybe closer to sock-yarn or fingering weight. hope that helps.

Penny, you have a wonderful job! all those moms and babies. :) I hadn't thought of it, but it would make a pretty cover for nursing (might be too sheer for some of them, but the design is pretty enough that I would think it would distract from what's going on "underneath the modesty cover" so to speak. :) )

I agree with the beauty of the afghan and I think it would be perfect for a nursing throw as it has just enough holes to allow for breathing without the baby getting sweaty. The mom can see what is going on underneath the throw. and babies LOVE to grasp onto something so the tiny fingers would more than likely find a little spot to hold onto. I absolutely love my job as a maternal child public health nurse. I love working with the moms and babies as they have such potential. :c9 Penny

[ATTACH]37972[/ATTACH]

Just beautiful!!!!!

We are ok. :U His appt was rescheduled for tomorrow, we had to go out of town last week.

I will hold you and your family in my prayers tomorrow! Holding out for the best of news. :hug

Lynn, absolutely you can still join! CAL's are joyously loose groups, and go on so long as anyone is participating/posting :) No time limits for joining. :)

Can't wait to see what doily you pick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a doilyghan finally. Actually started it a week or so ago but I only work on it during my before-shift time or break times at work. That is until it grows too large to fit in my lunchbag and still fit my lunch in there too lol.

post-44633-135897654496_thumb.jpg

I'm working on a doilyghan finally. Actually started it a week or so ago but I only work on it during my before-shift time or break times at work. That is until it grows too large to fit in my lunchbag and still fit my lunch in there too lol.

Aww that is beautiful, cant wait to see your finished product!

Penny

I'm So in on this!! I was trying out a doily pattern to blanket size just the other day.. ended up being too small/directions confused me at one point but those suggestions you gave look nice.

Thats going to be really pretty.

Archived