Irish Rose (motif)

Katchkan

Beautiful work, Kathy! I've been working on a bit of Irish crochet lately (among other things. >.< So many WiPs. XD ). I'd love to know where you got the pattern, if I may.

I think I can speak for the rest of the board, as you've seen, in saying that you are very, very talented, and your work speaks volumes.

Keep up the good work, and may all your projects become FPs and not stay WiPs. ^_^

Nuu ^_^

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone for all the lovely comments. You could turn a girls Ladies Old Girls Old ladies head.

To answer a few of the questions posed by various people.

The original pattern can be obtained at http://www.enfys.dsl.pipex.com/ic.htm It is in the Sara Hadley 1911 lace maker. its the motif number 45. Good luck with deciphering it. The pattern books are a free download.

The link has been changed to http://www.enfys.dsl.pipex.com/antiqueirish.htm

If you get fustrated Pm me and I will send you a copy of My version of the rose. I'm just not going to put it our for public consumption. Not sure how the other group would feel and I definitely don't want to step on anyones toes or break etiquette.

The Rose itself is now adorning a hat of mine. Looks great on it. I almost put it on a Red Hat. Since I now quailify for the Red hat /Purple dress club. But not quite ready for that yet. So its on the hat I wear with my ten cent dress. Next time we have the camera out I will try and remember to have DH get a picture of it.He does my photo work for me. I take horrible pictures.

Thanks once again, You know how to make someone feel worthwhile.

• 5 weeks later...
I do love the Irish Crochet.

Kathy, Your Crocheting is gorgeous. I hope you don't mind my asking but I have been falling in love with Irish Crochet and am clueless as to where to begin. Do you have any recommendations, hopefully online sources that teach or show you how to Irish Crochet?

Thanks a million beforehand.

Pam

Kathy, Your Crocheting is gorgeous. I hope you don't mind my asking but I have been falling in love with Irish Crochet and am clueless as to where to begin. Do you have any recommendations, hopefully online sources that teach or show you how to Irish Crochet?

I am self taught on the Irish Crochet. I picked up a old Priscilla book on irish crochet years ago that was in pieces. But there was enough there to get me hooked. Of course I own a better copy now. As far as a first book I found the priscilla one to be the most informative on the methods. Just remember the termology is different and it can sometime be a puzzle on what they are trying to say.

As far as I know there is not really good books to teach the art of this. Except the old ones. You are in luck as there is a group of Irish Crochet lovers that you can get moral support from and advice.And free copies of the old patterns. I belong to it, but don't get to participate much as my time is limited and I have to choose where to put my time. Crocheting or talking crochet. I have chosen this site Crochetville as my touch point with the rest of the crochet world as it is so easy to follow along even when I am busy crocheting. So I can do both. But if you go to the link I am posting on the Irish Crochet page is a link to that group.

http://www.enfys.dsl.pipex.com/antiqueirish.htm

Hope you find this helpful as I am a great advocate of irish crochet and want to encourage anyone who wants to try their hand at it.

• 6 months later...

That is AMAZING! I have been wanting to try Irish crochet and bought a pattern book which caused me to give it a big 'Huh?' :think

I cannot believe you made that! WOW!!!! :woo

My patterns are for a rose :rose and also some butterflies:dragonfly - I had these grand ideas of making a little shadowbox of butterflies in Irish crochet... yeah, that'll happen:rolleyes

Wow! :cheer What beautiful work, I don't think it's something I would try. How long did it take you to make? :manyheart
All together it took about a week and a half. Only because I kept having to rework it as the pattern instructions were oh so off. What I ended up doing was so different than the original instructions it wasn't funny. But I finally got it where it looked like the picture of the motif. It was a real challenge piece. It now adornes a hat I have. Someday I will do another in a rose colored tatting thread. Or maybe sewing thread.

oh my GOSH! gorgeous! :cheer I'm definitely in AWE of your talent.

Definitely!

• 2 weeks later...

There are no words to fully describe my reaction to this. My mouth is hanging open! It's is simply amazing!

Archived