Hi there

anna_marie

Hi there everyone,

I'm new here and just started crochet. I'm trying to teach myself as there is no one to show me how. I'm a little frustrated because I still cannot seem to get the hang of it.

What is a row? I know you all are probably laughing. Heehee. I'm interested in creating some fingerless gloves, a few tank tops, some socks, etc. I love the cool new designs that are out now for crochet. Well, I think that's about it.

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Anna

Anna, welcome to our forum, it's great to have new members. Now that you have decided to crochet, maybe you should take a beginners class at one of the yarn stores or craft stores. :hook Once you have the basics you will be able to make all of the cool designs that attracted you to crochet. The investment in a class will be worth every cent and then you can dazzle us with pictures of your finished items. Lots of luck to you :hug

Hi there everyone,

I'm new here and just started crochet. I'm trying to teach myself as there is no one to show me how. I'm a little frustrated because I still cannot seem to get the hang of it.

What is a row? I know you all are probably laughing. Heehee. I'm interested in creating some fingerless gloves, a few tank tops, some socks, etc. I love the cool new designs that are out now for crochet. Well, I think that's about it.

Anna

Greetings from Alberta, Canada!!!! :welcome to Crochetville, Anna! The way I looked at crocheting is like this: the hook is like your pencil and your yarn is your paper. A row is your first sentence. And as it grows, it becomes your paragraph. That is how I first thought of it. I love to write so that is the way I came up with the analogy. Frustration does happen when you are looking into teaching yourself. May I suggest going to a Michaels store and signing up for their Crochet class? Or if you have any kind of Yarn store, I am sure some one might be able to recommend a group or someone that would be willing to teach you to crochet. Once you get the hang of crochet, we look forward to seeing your work online. :ty for joining us and don't worry....we were all beginners at one time too. :hug

HI Anna,

Believe me when I say we all had to start somewhere, and you couldn't ask for nicer people to help teach you. I hope you feel good about visiting here. Take a deep breath and ummm:think "dig" in. And have fun:yay .

:hook :hook :hook

Hi there everyone,

Anna

Hello and :welcome from NY. I recently started crocheting myself and I invested in taking some classes at my local Michael's. The $ was quite reasonable and it was much easier (for me because I am a 'visual' person) to have a 'live' person to show me the answer to my questions.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I actually have a Cozy Crochet Kit to learn how, it's just I haven't figured it all out. I'm pretty much guessing what to do as I go along. A class would be good if I cannot figure it out. :)

Nice to meet everyone...Anna

:welcome Anna, from ON, Canada!

Don't worry, I don't think anyone here would laugh at you because we were all once in your shoes. :hug

Taking a class would be great to get you going & a self taught book is a big help too.

Hi Anna Marie, welcome! Another great resource is stitchguide.com, where there are videos showing how to make the various stitches. I check it out all the time when I have to use a stitch I don't know. Ask around--there are a lot of closet crocheters out there, and they'd be delighted to teach you. A class would be fun so you could meet other crocheters, but if you can't find one, lots of people have taught themselves how to crochet from books or watching others. Good luck!! Patty

Hello and Welcome from Rochester, NY! :hug I started crocheting a couple months ago and I'm still teaching myself. I just went to some art and crafts stores and got myself some yarn, a set of hooks, and a couple of books for beginners. I'm not by any mean an expert but I'm hanging in there. If I'm doing it, I'm sure you can too. :hook There are so many good webpages around, I'm sure you'll find all the information you need. Enjoy!

Welcome. Dont get discouraged. The link (stitchguid.com) that others have posted is wonderful. As is the lion brand's learn to crochet site. I would also suggest that you go to your local library and look for beginner books. In no time you will be making all the cool things you wanted.

Good luck

Elizabeth

Archived