yarn winders?

nikimcn

I have seen here and there about in blogland that some own yarn winders. you know, winding your prewound yarns into a nice ball. what are the pros and cons to this? and what kind is best to buy?

:)

I own one that I bought from joanns online, when they had a coupon. I love it, although I can't wind a full 7oz skein on it, as it cannot accommodate that much yarn at once. I find it is great for winding all my smaller balls or 3oz skeins for easier storage. When I finish a project from a standard center pull skein and have leftover yarn, the original skein no longer holds its shape, so I rewind it with the winder. Very handy gadget, although I wouldn't spend a ton on it. I find it's a great deal if you have a 40% off coupon. Mien is also the hand crank one, not a fancy electric one.

I just use the center cardboard out of a paper towel roll to make my center pull balls :)

That's what I do, too. I don't rewind full skeins, though - I just do this when I have yarn that would be neater and easier to use if it was rewound.

Here's how:

http://coffeencrafts.blogspot.com/search/label/center%20pull%20yarn%20ball

:hook

i went ahead and splurged on an electric one. mainly because i don't have anything to clamp one to. i like mine a lot, so does my cat!

That made me laugh and I can certainly relate! :lol I would love to have an electric yarn winder but can't afford to splurge on it right now. I wind it by hand and make it a center pull. Kitties still love to help with that too!!!

I have been wanting a yarn winder so bad. But I don't want to spend $20 on one, either.. (I'll have to wait for a 40% off coupon, I guess..) :sigh So thank you so much for posting this, it's great!! :clap

That's what I do, too. I don't rewind full skeins, though - I just do this when I have yarn that would be neater and easier to use if it was rewound.

Here's how:

http://coffeencrafts.blogspot.com/search/label/center%20pull%20yarn%20ball

:hook

if you wind your yarn,make sure you wind all the balls you use in the project....this affects variegated the most because of the sequencing of the colours, but some yarns have a 'sheen' to them that becomes apparent in larger projects....you might also find the fibers will untwirl easier,or harder and be harder,or easier to work with; just some of the problems I encountered. would I give up my winder? never!

I have the one from Joann's. I got it with the 50% off coupon they have once in a while. I love it. I mostly use it on the yarn left from a project. It is so much easier to store the yarn. I mark each one as to how much yarn is in the cake.:hook

Also don't wind ahead if you are winding wool,as it will stretch the yarn. I haven't had any problem with acrylic or even cotton,but wool,(unless you are planning on felting it) can be a problem.

Archived