What's THE most common hook size?

jimbo

I think I know, at least from my experience; that the most common yarn hook is an H (5mm).

But what about thread hooks? What size is THE most used thread hook?

Oh and its toadally ok to disagree with me on the yarn hook size, I'm only speaking from my experience.

ever the curious

Jimbo

I don't do much thread crochet anymore, so I would bow out to others, especially the doily makers! My most used steel hook is the 10. Again, I don't use any of them a lot anymore (hurts my fingers too much).

I agree about the size H being most used yarn hook. I am using that size now with the project I am working on. It is a comfortable size. I have got to try out one of your hooks -- read great things about them! Can people ever just order them or do you have to wait for an auction?

Hmmmmm.... of the threadies I've done, which aren't many, Id guess size 10 is the one done most but then I've not done many at all. Last one was a 2. Who knows eh?

I use a #2 because it is the smallest one I can SEE.

Maybe when I get my new glasses next week I'll be able to use the smaller ones!

The Jimbo hook I just got from you is the BEST hook I own!

For thread the hook size is normally determined by the size thread being used. The most common thread now a days is size 10 which is normally done with a size 7 hook, A size 20 thread with a size 10 hook and size 30 thread normally done with a size 12 hook. This of course is only a jump off point since people tend to crochet with different tensions, many go up or down from that starting point. But if I would have to pick one size that is most often used in this day and age I would have to say a size 7 hook since we have the biggest selection of size 10 threads.

The other thing that you need to remember is that Bates and Boye do NOT have the same #s. Bates runs 2 numbers less so you'll need to go by the mm size.

7 Boye = 5 Bates

10 Boye = 8 Bates etc

I prefer the head on the Bates hooks but that's merely preference and Bates hooks are very hard to find in the stores.

I was Roaked and then bought the rest online.

I use the H hook for almost all my afghans (yarn), then different sizes according to project requirements. But for thread, I have always preferred the Boye size 9, even if the pattern calls for a size 7, since I like the look of my work done with the 9. And one day I will have to have a Jimbo hook!! The smaller steel hooks are beginning to bother my hand.

I would have said H in the beginning of my crochet days, but now I would think about who it's for. i.e. For someone who does lots of amis and toys I would suggest a smaller hook~but I don't know if that's an E, F, or G. (((((HUGS))))) sandi

When it comes to yarn hooks, it is a G/6 or G.7 that I use most.

As for thread, I seem to use the size 7 the most. Of course, I don't usually crochet with smaller than size 10 thread.:hook

Archived