What's the most you would pay...

CLLinda

for a hook?

I just saw on Ebay a hook for $66! That sounds way too high for my blood.

The most I've spend is $20 for a hand turned wooden one.

What's the most you have spent?

:manyheart

the most I have paid is about $4.50 for an Addi hook. I have 2 Addi steel hooks and a large plastic one, L i think. i do like the Addis a lot.

Most of my hooks are "vintage", some stamped w/ the price, like 10 cents, so I know that my mother or grandmother paid 10 cents for it. :hook I'm loyal to my golden oldies so I don't anticipate buying any fancy new ones anytime soon.

I've tried "faux" bone, plastic, wood, and metal hooks, and I think the most I paid was @ $4 or $5 for a LB "S" hook (it's plastic and I hate it). I love my basic metal hooks the most - for me they're the easiest to work with. I'm pretty "thrifty", so I'd rather spend more on a lovely skein of yarn than a hook. $66 is ridiculous IMO.

Juli from Texas

The most I would spend on a hook is around $25-30. I have a couple of Turn-of-the-century hooks that were in that price range. While I love the looks of fancy hooks...I just want my hooks to be functional. I'm always afraid I'm going to break my TOC hooks when I use them, so I can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars on a hook an be afraid to use it! Just my 2cents....

My most expensive hook is a $75 Jimbo hook... which I dearly love. I've spent $40-$50 several times for his hooks. For me, totally worth it for that quality!

I've never heard of them. I think I need to check them out. I love crocheting and do so much of it, so if they're good I would not blink an eye at the investment. .... Okay... I just took a peek at his blog and oh my goodness are they beautiful!!! Works of art ~ along with his bowls! I have to find out how to get one! Thanks for posting this! :hook

I bought a whole set of 24 Boye Steel & alum. hooks with the case for $22 on sale online. So it is hard for me to get up off $$$ for the wood ones.

I would like a Graydog, but everytime I pick one to bid on, it goes really high. I am not quite willing to go over $50 without being able to hold it and know it is "the one." I am liking what I hear about the Jimbo hooks. It seems everyone that has one loves it. I would like to get one of those too as they seem ergonomically sound. I could use something a little more comfortable as my arthritis continues to advance. But still, I am reluctant to put out a lot of money without being able to try it. I will probably make the leap of faith eventually though. Too bad my sons don't read here, some pretty good gift ideas! ;)

I think the most I've paid for a Jimbo hook is around $40 - but for one of Jimbo's, I'd go even higher if need be.... not only the best hook I've ever worked with, but also a work of art! I feel like I should have a frame to store them in so people can admire them!

I love all the handturned wood hooks, but I can't afford any right now. I guess I would pay A LOT for a nice one.

I have a question, when you buy an expensive hook, what size do you get? Do you get a F or G (to me the most common sizes) or do you go higher? I think I would be tempted by a I if I could get one, because that is my favorite size.

I bought a whole set of 24 Boye Steel & alum. hooks with the case for $22 on sale online. So it is hard for me to get up off $$$ for the wood ones.

I would like a Graydog, but everytime I pick one to bid on, it goes really high. I am not quite willing to go over $50 without being able to hold it and know it is "the one." I am liking what I hear about the Jimbo hooks. It seems everyone that has one loves it. I would like to get one of those too as they seem ergonomically sound. I could use something a little more comfortable as my arthritis continues to advance. But still, I am reluctant to put out a lot of money without being able to try it. I will probably make the leap of faith eventually though. Too bad my sons don't read here, some pretty good gift ideas! ;)

DebraKay send your sons the link to the sites you like gifts from. name the title of the email Birthday or Christmas Gift Hints.... they will be so glad to get those links makes it easier to what gift to get you. Maybe they can chip in together and buy you those Graydogs or Jimbo Hooks. You still won't know what the gifts is since you'll be sending several gift links so you will still be surprised. Send several hint links so they can choose. I do this with my husband and I am surprised every time.

LAST year 2009 Christmas I requested something--several small things I emailed with hints........Well he got ahold of a thread book I buy from, and ordered a whole set of Valdani threads. I pretty sure its called something like Forest collection OR something Woody collection.. At the time I was needing alot of different browns color thread and they have come out with 2 new thread compnaies.. There is Valdani and Lizabeth Thread. Love them both. 12 or 14 little threads $45-$50.00 I was so shocked. I love the threads but they are pricy I only buy it if the colors I already have won't work. they do have ALOT OF COLORS. When I do get that doily done it will be one expensive doily..... To make a longer story short: the threads was not on the Christmas Gift Hints. I was going to wait till after christmas and buy some of the Valdani Threads. I had already bought some of the Lizabeth threads.

DebraKay send your sons the link to the sites you like gifts from. name the title of the email Birthday or Christmas Gift Hints.... they will be so glad to get those links makes it easier to what gift to get you. ....

I like the way you think, Terry! Excellent idea! We used to all post a gift suggestion list on the side of our ****. It made things much easier at Christmas & birthdays. We have gotten away from that and I think it is time to restart the practice!

yes, my husband and I have been doing this for about 5 yers now.... I always know what to get him, but hes like clueless sometimes on me. but he knows anything Crochet Related is a good thing to buy.

Crochet Hooks is like a diamond to me. He has bought me many WOOD crochet hooks over the years off of e-bay. And a few

Corian < (think thats how it spelled) Crochet Hooks.

Enjoy your crochet gifts I sure do.

I have yet to buy a crochet hook, I inherited all mine from my Mom when she passed just as she had. I would love a wood hook but I am really to cheap to buy it for myself, maybe I will post a link to some on my FB and hubby and kids will get a hint :)

I buy cheap Bates aluminum hooks because they fit my budget, but I'd be willing to spend $50-$60 on a Jimbo hook when my finances are in better order!

I think I'd get a Jimbo, if I had the money. I've purchased my fair share of hooks - aluminum, plastic, faux bone - and wasn't ever over the moon. Even got the Clover set(!) and found it too small for my hands. Right now my favorites are the Bates with a bamboo handle. It depends on how you hold them, of course, but they are long enough, and the wide enough that my hands don't cramp when I use them for a long time. For me? these are gold right now, heh.

Archived