Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

I spent the better part of yesterday sewing together my 2nd block. On the first one, I sewed all the tails in and then stitched the squares together. It doesn't seem to have worked particularly well because the ends are fraying and popping out and whatnot (arrgh). So for the second block I am stitching the whole thing together first and then weaving all the tails into the rows of sc that I used to attach them. I think this is going to hold up better but it's been labor intensive so far. :hook

Yes arent those ends a pain. With my casablanca I am weaving the ends straight away as I have crocheted each square. Then when I go to crochet the squares together there are not as many ends. I am hoping my weaved ends dont come apart but you dont know do you.

well done on getting your second block finished.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the first one, I sewed all the tails in and then stitched the squares together. It doesn't seem to have worked particularly well because the ends are fraying and popping out and whatnot (arrgh). So for the second block I am stitching the whole thing together first and then weaving all the tails into the rows of sc that I used to attach them. I think this is going to hold up better but it's been labor intensive so far.

The squares I'm joining for hospital ghans don't usually have long tails, so with this last batch (nearly done) I've bordered it, then left LONG tails. Then, after I've joined several into a strip, I'm doing what you're doing: weaving the ends into the sc joining between each square. It's really secure and tight. :yay:yarn

Sometimes it takes trial and error.:yes

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!!:hook

Tabby - I used to have one of those little buggers when I was a kid. Mama finally came in one night around 4 a.m. carrying Harvey's (the hamster) cage and proclaimed, "Here! You listen to him run on that little wheel all night!" He got a big and quiet Habitrail with my saved up money after that :heehee

I'm glad someone feels my pain. :lol We do plan on looking for a quieter wheel. But I even unhooked the wheel last night & the dumb thing found something else to bug me, he decided to sit there and chew at the metal on the cage. :eek:angry I tried to feed him an apple to take his mind off it but it didn't work so I had to hook up his wheel again. Which is much louder the the chewing but I was scared he'de chew his way outta there. :lol Calgon take me away......:yes

Wendy - Your rail fence block is absolutely gorgeous! WOW!!!!!:yay:yay

My kids had hamsters when they were little. The wheels make soooooo much noise. I even tried WD40 on the wheels, but they still managed to make noise.:lol

Rachel- great idea to create a place for all the photos ! I will link to it on post number 1 .

Pam- Love the hearts pattern, it is so pretty !

Cara- that is one lucky baby to have that green gingham-- beautiful .

Wendy- your rail fence pillow is looking good !

Tabby- your story about the hamster is funnier than heck-- I never thought a hamster would keep you awake at night. ( I never had one, so I don't know much about them. )

If he lived at our house, he'd be too scared to make noises-- the snoring would keep him too busy to make any noise himself .

Happy Sunday Everyone!

Wendy-You might want to consider doing the block for the back in the same yarn but a different pattern (maybe stripes?) so that you can have a little bit different look just by turning the pillow over. I think Cara's right that you'll probably need to make a pillow form for the inside so the stuffing doesn't spill out of the holes. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Hey tired Tabby! One of the downsides of hamsters is their insistence on being nocturnal. . . Have you tried earplugs?

Have a good day everyone, I'm off to crochet guild in a few hours. We'll be making toddler sweaters for charity.

Linda Y

I love everyone's progress!!

Wendy the colors on that rail fence are great!

To answer the question that was asked--I think if you're doing more than one its fine to have two pictures. I was worried about space, but we could always have another site opened I suppose.

Also, as new pictures are added, old comments will be erased! Sorry!

thanks once again for all your compliments on my rail fence. :blush:hug

Linda Y that sounds like a great idea. I might do stripes with the squares for the back just so its not the same, then maybe crochet the two pieces together and put the pillow with the stuffing inside.

Julie how are you going with everything. Are you still crocheting. How is Cam?

Tabby how is the hamster. Do you still have him after he kept you awake.

Rachel

Very pretty !

Wendy- I 'm still crocheting a little bit ... almost got burnt out I think so I took a little time off and am only doing a little a day. I hope I get out of this slump soon and back into gear with the rest of you all . :)

Julie~How are ya? I hope you get your groove back but take your time & relax some. ;):)

Rachel~That's coming along beautifully, great job! :clap

Wendy~I did think about serving him for dinner tonight. :lol Just kidding, that's mean. He's super cute & actually we bought him because Jaden wanted his own "Wonder Pets" (cartoon on Nick Jr.). He picked him out so I guess we have to live with it not to mention the cage, him & all of his stuff cost us quite a bit. :eek:yes

Linda Y.~Earplugs would be great but i'de be scared that I wouldn't hear a smoke alarm if needed or one of the kids calling if needed.

Good Morning.:rain It's a wonderful cloudy morning with a light shower. We are always happy to see rain here, after a drought for over two years.:)

How are you all doing on projects? I crocheted some squares on Saturday and am planning on more later today.

Have a great Monday, everyone!:hook

Thanks Wendy, Maggie and Tabby!

Wendy--It is for my grandmother. But noone on my side of the family knows I'm making it. It will most likely be a gift for her around Christmas time. She always says she doesn't want gifts and gets upset at you for giving her one. She didn't get upset at the dressy scarf I made her and wears it with pride to church, so hopefully she won't get upset with me for making her a blanket! I don't suspect she will. But before I give it to her, it will be making a detour to the county fair!

Progress wise I was able to crochet the squares for the next two rows, I should be able to sew them on tonight. My goal is a blank a week. Which means sometime in the next 3 months I should be done!!

Morning, everybody. I was bad this weekend. :blush I finished one book and started another and only crocheted a tiny bit. It's cloudy and overcast here this morning. John's flying to Texas this morning on business and won't be back until Friday evening, so Kim and I are having a girls week. I will try to get a picture of my progress for last week posted later today, other wise it will be two weeks worth of progress on Friday.

Rachel - Your 'ghan is beautiful! Great work!!!:yay:cheer:yay

Cara - I have ordered the two quilt books that have lots of patterns that can be converted for crochet. One that I am going to do for sure is entitled 'Lady of the Lotus' It's one big pattern rather than a repeating block. It will need to be modified a little to make it work, but I think it will be worth it. As a quilt it's 90 x 90. Not sure how big the converted pattern will be, a little smaller I think.:hug

Tabby - Hasmsters don't have a real long lifespan, so you'll only have to put up with the noise for 2-4 years. Hehehehehe.:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Im sure your grandmother will treasure it Rachel.

I really need to start making xmas presents I mean its only 8 mths away.:eek

Has anyone else started making xmas presents.

Tabby are you ok, you seem to be on the floor laughing hysterically.:lol

Well Im going to bed.

Catch u all tomorrow.

Rachel

I believe you have a blue ribbon winner there in the making ! Can't wait to hear how it does in your fair. When is yours ? Ours isn't til September .

Tabby-

Well, they say a lot of other meats taste like chicken , so maybe hamster would too .

Did anyone notice the wheel isn't spinning any more ? :lol

Julie--

Where I grew up, our fair is toward the end of september. Where I am now, it's in JULY!! A little earlier than expected, but I should be done by then.

Wendy--

I haven't thought about too many gifts for christmas yet. I think doilies would be nice for the family, but having never made one, I'm not sure! I think my mom would love one of Cara's blankets, and I've had a blanket in mind for my dad for ages...but that's a lot of commitment!

Linda B--I need to go to thte library and check out some quilting books. I love the quilt patterns!

Good morning ladies :flower

Rachel - Wow! That's gorgeous! Love the blues :yes Definitely a ribbon winner in that one! Hmm, I might have to enter the fair, too. It's been years since I have.

Julie - We're gonna have to hook the jumper cables up to your groove here pretty soon :lol I joke, it'll come back, we all go through it :)

Hamster Helper :rofl :rofl You're wicked! I loved that about you :wink

LindaBee - Can't wait to see what you come up with! I'm gonna check out the very large quilt book section at the library this week. I got overwhelmed last week and just picked up a couple of Dave Barry books for a laugh. I love Dave Barry :D

Wendy - Christmas presents?!? Christmas presents?!? After I spend a weekend reviving my relationship with 30 family members you pick now to remind me that I have Christmas presents to make? :faint I need a time machine to go back to January :rofl :rofl

I overdid on my weekend so I think today shall be one of those rare "All Day in Bed" days :blush Have a wonderful day!!

Archived