Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good evening. :) I've had one of those "life got in the way" days, but hope to crochet this evening.

It sounds like a lot of squares are being made! :yay

Wendy ~ You are really multi-tasking ;) ...I think I would be seeing squares in my sleep!

Cara ~ Sounds like you have a busy week, but what fun to have a new baby in the family! I've missed something...didn't know you were writing a book. How wonderful!:fame

Wendy, I started whipstitching on the baby gingham, and then got lazy and was joining squares with crocheting -- the back looks messy:( ...I'll probably start from scratch with that again. Might explain why I haven't picked it up in weeks, too!:P Good thing I only did 2 rows!

I have a new supply of yarn (baby yarn, too)...went to AC Moore today...

I was very, very bad:yay :devil:yay:devil

Judi ~ It's never bad to buy more yarn! :yarn:lol:yarn

Out of desperation from all the ends to weave in I thought I'd give a try of just crocheting the ends in since I'm sc'ing the squares together on this quilt. Has anybody else tried this and does it stay good? It seems to be going together fine just wondering if anybody has experienced how good it stays together doing it this way.

Hello all,

I've been crocheting away on my squares. I actually prefer to sew my "saltines" ;) together instead of whipstitching or sc.

Maggie--I'm glad you were finally able to see my picture.

Julie--I hope your monitor behaves itself. I know what a pain it is to have your computer down. Drives me nuts!

Take care!

Linda Y

p.s. I've actually at times gone by "Lin" instead of Linda because there were too many Linda's about. I'm sure Lindabee and Linda H have had similar problems.

Out of desperation from all the ends to weave in I thought I'd give a try of just crocheting the ends in since I'm sc'ing the squares together on this quilt. Has anybody else tried this and does it stay good? It seems to be going together fine just wondering if anybody has experienced how good it stays together doing it this way.

This is usually the way I "weave in ends" in straight crochet. It doesn't work on these little squares, though, since I'm sewing them together. I haven't had any problems with the things I've crocheted the ends in. They seen to stay just fine.

Linda Y

Well, I'm crocheting all the little squares together, and I'll probably crochet the blocks together too.

Mostly my reasoning behind this was the fact that I'm using the SS yarn and so I need the structure to be stronger. Also, another problem I was running into is that the yarn is so thin, I could see the stitches in between the rows. I solved this but it's hard to explain how...basically instead of crocheting through all four yarns, I just pick up the outside two. I will try to get a picture of this at some point for illustration.

I didn't do any squares today but I did completely finish my first block this weekend so I'm doing ok so far. :cheer

Wendy--You must be seein bocks everywhere you look with THREE projects going. You're one crazy gal. You and Athba :)

Maggie--Congrats on finishing your first block!

Heather--I've been weaving my ends in--I take all the ends into the center and go around the the center loop. Its seems to hold as when I mess up I can never find where I hid it!

ALL--Morning! I hope you all had busy square making nights! I had one row to do in order to finish my block. All the other ends were woven in so I thought to myself, Tabby (I think it was you--although it may have been Judi?) you'll like this, "Hmm, I'll just keep weaving the ends in as I go."

And like all thoughts to myself, I shouldn't have listened! Of course I wasn't thinking and misplaced a square. And of course I didn't realize until the block was completely sewn in and ends hidden in the center. And as luck would have it, eventhough I finished it 5 seconds prior, I had to get the scissors out because I couldn't find where I hid it. No new squares had to be made, I made a correct cut, thank heavens! So, anyway, I'm now completely done my second block!

Maggie congrats on finishing a block. Are you crocheting the squares with just one color or changing it when the square is a different color. Cant wait to see some pics.

Rachel thanks I am pretty mad to be doing so many projects that call for squares. But then I think most of us have lots of projects on the go. I only got like this when I joined the ville. It seems pretty normal now to have lots of different things to do. Did you get your block sorted. Its the only thing thats wrong with whipstitching squares, if you misplace one its hard to undo the stitching.

Im on the 5th row of the rail fence. The rail fence block is 12 x 12 squares. Its quite big. Im actually thinking that they would be big enough to turn into a pillow. I might make 4 blocks and that would make 2 pillows. What do you all think. The girls can use them in the lounge when they are watching foxtel(cable), they love their disney and nickelodeon channels.

Rachel- it sounds like you are going to town on your squares ! Good work !

Wendy- yep, the pillows sound like a fine idea to me -- it should work out fine . :) Have they started showing the new Survivor over there yet ? I hadnt heard you mention it, so I didnt know if it had started. It's been on here maybe a month or so, something like that .

Linda Y- My husband graciously traded monitors with me -- I now have a huge one, which is kinda hard to get used to. He has his laptop that he uses most of the time, so he said he'd just hook this one up for me .

Maggie -- good job ! Keep it up, you are rolling right along .:)

Rachel, weaving in the ends as I go sounds like something either me or Tabby might have said... My brain isn't what it used to be, so your guess is as good as mine!

I've had to take scissors to my work, too - unable to pull out the ends I had woven in so well!!!:P

Sounds like you're on a roll! Keep on going:cheer :clap:cheer:clap !!!

Im on the 5th row of the rail fence. The rail fence block is 12 x 12 squares. Its quite big. Im actually thinking that they would be big enough to turn into a pillow. I might make 4 blocks and that would make 2 pillows. What do you all think. The girls can use them in the lounge when they are watching foxtel(cable), they love their disney and nickelodeon channels.

GREAT idea, Wendy!! Squishy, huggable pillows are always favorites for kids - and us adults, too!:c9

Now you have another WIP :lol !

Hi, Ladies. It sounds like there are a lot of squares being made around this place! :hook I finally had time last evening to make about 15...my blocks are 100 squares, so am still on the first block.

I'm weaving in ends with a yarn needle and hopefully they aren't going anywhere. :yarn;):yarn

Can't wait to see pictures on Photo Friday! :yay

Mary, the ends will definitely stay put woven in with a yarn needle!! We all know about how good a method that is...because we've had to resort to using SCISSORS when we have to corrent a mistake!:lol

Afternoon Ladies

Im thinking of doing something very stupid over here...riping out my cassa :eek..im just not liking the way its looking on the back and i think i want to wipstitch it or sew it...but im halfway and its so hard to pull that first thread :lol But my others look so mush better and they are wipstitched :think.

Well i did get more squares done so thats good and i can now get back behind Julie...DO YOU HEAR THAT TABBY!!...im working harder then her so she gets the bat first :rofl

Yes--the weaving in ends method is good! Especially when you go around the center of the square!

Mary--My goodness! I guess i should feel lucky that my squares are *only* 64! You're doing good though!

Shaylen--If you're not happy with the way it is now, you proobably won't be when it's done either! I'd say it's probably worth the time to rip it out (if you can do it without sacrificing squares!) and whipstictch if you've been happy with that method in the past.

Tabby--I hear Shaylen asking for the bat!!!

Hey, you two. :2nono If you just get busy crocheting, then nobody would have to get the bat. I'd just as soon put mine away and not use it, but I will if I must.:tryme

I've really been cranking out the squares this week. :hook I just have about 50 to go for the next block, and this afternoon I finished hiding the tails for a quarter of that block. Each of my blocks takes 144 squares. The bi-color squares have been going much easier this time around. I guess I just had to get used to making them.

The glasses are still giving me fits. I put in a call to the company today and left a message, but haven't heard back from them yet. I'm about ready to go back to my old glasses, since neither the top nor the bottom work at all well with the computer screen. Sheeeeesh! :thumbdown How am I supposed to keep in touch with you if I can't focus well enough to read what's posted???? I have to back far away from the screen, and then my arms aren't long enough to reach the keyboard!!!! :compute:laughroll:rofl

Morning everyone,

Shay Im sorry to hear you dont like your casa. Did you crochet it together. I agree with Rachel, if you dont like it its best to rip it apart and put it together the way you want it. I have to admit although crocheting the squares is quicker I do like the whipstitch squares better. Im actually adding a square at a time instead of strips and Im liking that way better.

Judi and Julie thanks I think I will make them into pillows. Something different from all the ghans Im making.

Julie, Survivor hasnt started here yet. Is it a good one.

Howdy Everyone!

Julie & Shay~~Linda is right, if you two sent more time making squares and less time argueing on who's getting the bat first then no one would have to get the bat. Geesh, you two what will we do with you??? :lol Maybe i'll just give ya both the bat to make it even. I wouldn't want anyone to be left out. :tryme:rofl And Julie, I sure would. It's called tough love so the harder I hit ya the more I love ya. :devil Do you think that'de hold up in a court? :rofl:P

Wendy~I think the pillows are a great idea. Make me some for my couch, please. :lashes:blush

Rachel~I do weave in my ends as I go And I also do it with a yarn needle. I have learned to always look before weaving in the ends or you will have to get the scissors to cut it apart just to undo it. Live and Learn. :D

Mary~Wow! :eek 100 squares per block, what ghan are you working on now? Better you then me. :yes:lol

Wendy - Happy Anniversary :party:heart Congrats on making it 20 years :manyheart

Judi - You don't need new glasses. You just need longer arms :rofl When you find out where they sell 'em would you let me know, please? :rofl

Archived