Crochet and knitting

How do you hold your hook and can you knit?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold your hook and can you knit?

• Hook held overhanded (like pen) and can't knit
    • Hook held overhanded (like pen) and can knit
    • Hook held underhanded (like handle) and can't knit
    • Hook held underhanded (like handle) and can knit

I've been thinking about this. I can't knit to save my life and started wondering if its because I hold my hook overhanded (like a pen), but when you knit you hold it underhanded (like a handle). Knitting just feels awkward. So how do you hold your hook and can you knit?

:turtle:vheart

I have the same problem Sue, even just holding the needles feels ackward and uncomfortable. I think I was just born to crochet :)

i use the pen/pencil hold, and i can knit. continental feels a lot more natural to me than throwing.

there are so many other differences between crochet and knitting, that I doubt if the hold style is the main factor that makes it hard to learn---jmho.

there are so many other differences between crochet and knitting, that I doubt if the hold style is the main factor that makes it hard to learn---jmho.

That's what I was wondering. If it was me or the way I hold the hook. From the looks of things, its me. :lol

:turtle:vheart

I hold my crochet like a pen and can knit too I learn to knit years ago from my Mom and started with making a baby sweater first. I like that I can go either way to make something. I tend to crochet more right now.

Up until a couple of months ago I was like Alesha and 'knitted a scarf once' (40 years ago!) but I'm currently working on re-learning knitting.

I crochet pen-hold but hold my right knitting hand more like a knife or toothbrush (if that's what you meant by handle).

I experimented with a couple of different continental styles; knitting was easy (slip stitching with a stick) but I really struggled with holding the left (yarn) hand for purling until I discovered Norwegian purling. It looks wicked complicated trying to learn from a video but once I 'got' it everything fell together. I now hold the left yarn hand just like I do for crochet (well, except there's a needle there) and no difference with knitting or purling (right hand does all the work, like crochet). Just passing this along since this helped knitting 'click' with my long-time crocheting self.

I was also struggling with my 40 year old, 14" needles before I discovered circulars are much easier. The needles are only 4" long and much easier to hold on to.

I can knit..it's not pretty, but I can do it. I even learned simple cable waaay back, but always enjoyed crocheting more. I might have to give knitting a try again..after all these projects are done...so in about 5 years?

I can knit the basic stitches, and I make shawls and throws.

As I'm inventive in crocheting I try new things in knitting too, but the more advanced stitches never come out right.

I remember trying to learn to crochet from my mom holding the hook like a pen, and I could probably still make chain stitches that way but it feels uncomfortable to me. I taught myself to crochet again after my mom passed and found that the knife (handle) hold feels right for me.

I'm teaching myself to knit. I've made a few scarves, a pillow, a prayer shawl, and my big project is a coat. I had the hardest time learning the purl stitch for some reason. I had a dvd put out by Caron and I just was not catching on to it. My dad watched it and showed me how it was supposed to work. lol

I hold my crochet hook like a handle (self-taught) and I just started to teach myself to knit in January. The only thing I have real trouble with is the yarn. I have to have the yarn on my right hand to knit (English style, I'm a thrower) and when I crochet it's on my left hand, gets confusing. Knitting takes a lot of practice, but I'm making some awesome dishcloths in the meantime.

I learned to knit first and taught myself to crochet years later. I've been told I hold my hook like a knitter, but my stitches come out the same as everyone else's. My preference is crochet because of the simplicity of it - if I drop a stitch or make a mistake it's easier to go back.

I hold the hook like a knife and I knit. In fact I'm knitting more then crocheting lately..

Jimbo~ I think that's a Gnat. You could expand your business to include knitting needles...;)

• 1 year later...

I hold my hook like knife (handle), I learned to knit first, I started crocheting recently (11 years ago), when I was univ.student I was knitting all my winter outfits :)

I do crochet, knit, beadwork and few more things, I think I am good with my hook and knitting needles

Demet

first let me say I am left handed, so I may not exactly fit any category exactly,lol...but I hold my hook underhanded, cannot crochet like a pen. That feels unnatural to me. I do knit but it has taken me a longer time to become comfortable with it than it did to crochet. For me I think the two sticks as opposed to one hook didn't make sense to me. I to find that I prefer continental (picking) to throwing. and I think that those who crochet would have an easier time with picking because how you hold the yarn similar to how you hold it to crochet, at least I do anyway. I also think that knit from a book is much more difficult. I learn what limited knowledge I have from a right handed knitter (also difficult to do), videos on you tube, a knitting dvd, and lots and lots of practice.

I am still much better, faster, and more confident in my crochet work, than I am with the pointy sticks. and something as complicated as dpns(double pointed needles ) I still want to learn but am uneasy about, would love to learn cables as I think they are gorgeous but not confident enough to go there just yet.

I learned to knit and crochet at about the same time--many years ago. I've made several knitted scarves, and started an Aran Fisherman knit sweater for my then fiance about 43 years ago. Then, about 25 rows up from the bottom of the back, I saw an error I'd made! :eek Since I can't for the life of me rip out knitting and get it back on the needles right--I gave up!! Then, about 10 years ago, my hubby found the long-forsaken project and all its yarn packed away in the basement--we both had to laugh at the size it would have been--he couldn't fit an arm in it now!! And he confided in me that it's a good thing it was never finished--because he's always hated wearing sweaters!! (I ripped it out and used the yarn for a LOVELY CROCHETED afghan!!:yes)

I do have to confess though--I like the "feel" of the knitting process--it makes me feel more "talented"!:lol

:crochetingCollette

This is why i LOVE LOVE LOVE my Loom Knitting stuff!! I can get the Look of knit without the Frustration of trying to figure how to use 2 hooks LOL!!!

I tell ppl.. Give me 1 hook and I can create a masterpiece.. give me 2 and you'll be lucky I dont scream in frustration and throw that yarn and hooks at u. I just can not for the life of me manipulate 2hooks. I turn all thumbs. but I sit with yarn and 1 hook and ZOOM ZOOM off I go creating Wounderous Items.

and I hold my crochet hook I guess you can describe it like a handle.. I tried the "pencil grip" but I can't do it.. and to figure. I dont even hold my pens like they teach u in school

i use my thumb, pointer and middle to hold it. (weird i know) and that felt all wrong with my hook so i just wrap my hand around it lol. and eh by looking at my creations.. it works for me lol.

I'm left-handed but crochet right-handed and that's an underhand hold. Just to challenge myself I'm crocheting left-handed and that's an overhand hold.

I can knit but don't enjoy it because the needles hurt my carpal tunnel syndrome. I tried the knitting looms, but they're not as much fun as crocheting.

I hold my hook like a pen and I've tried and tried over the last 10 years to learn how to knit, classes, videos, etc., and absolutely NOTHING has worked. I just am way too clumsy to use two needles at once AND have to keep track of the yarn on top of that. One hook please!

I hold my hook like a pen and I've tried and tried over the last 10 years to learn how to knit, classes, videos, etc., and absolutely NOTHING has worked. I just am way too clumsy to use two needles at once AND have to keep track of the yarn on top of that. One hook please!

You've tried knitting in the Continental style? Where you hold your yarn in the left hand, a la crochet? It made a HUGE difference for me--being able to knit vs. not being able to knit.

Many knitting "how to" sources just mention Continental as if it's some deep, dark secret. The book Teach Yourself Visually Knitting (2nd ed.) shows the complete process of making the knit stitch and the purl stitch, holding the needles and carrying the yarn, for Continental style. It's only four pages, but it was a life-saver. I checked the book out from my local library. :)

Worth a shot, anyway!

DCM

Archived