New Job = More Crochet Time

I have this new job (temporary) with the Census Bureau. I sit in a little room in the basement of city hall. I'm supposed to help people with their forms. Guess what? No one comes in ! Today will be my 3rd day. Monday 1 person came in and yesterday NO ONE. If I didn't have my crocheting with me I'd go crazy! At first I was a little ticked that the pay was a lot lower than advertised but I guess I can't complain too much since i'm having so much fun crocheting.

Sounds great. I also get about two hours a day to crochet during the little guy's naptime. It's nice to get paid to crochet!

:manyheart

Oh how I wish I was so lucky. Enjoy it while you can. Even though you are getting paid less than you expected just think of how much yarn you can buy with your salary. WhooooWheeeee!!!!!:rofl :rofl

The deadline is April 1. Wait until March 31 !!

Hopefully I'll get rehired for the next phase when people get hired to go door to door for those people who didn't return a census form. This phase is until April 19th. I guess we wait for the slackers or something. If anyone lives close to Ft. Knox, KY come to Radcliff City Hall and I'll help you with your form! I'm just a little lonely there lol!

Can we focus for a second on why people would need help filling out the census? I did ours the other day and um... it's not hard. If you know who lives in your house, you're done. So that's just ... odd.

At any rate, I'm so happy for you that you get to fill your time with crochet! I'm so jealous. But not really because I think I'd have little to no patience with people who need help with the census. I'd probably just look at each person and go, "Seriously?" So I totally wouldn't have that job long!!!

Can we focus for a second on why people would need help filling out the census? I did ours the other day and um... it's not hard. If you know who lives in your house, you're done. So that's just ... odd.

Not so odd if you consider citizens that might have a literacy problem or some other disability....Also, I saw on the news that some were reported to have a problem when it came to how to address the question about race (don't recall the details)...

Not so odd if you consider citizens that might have a literacy problem or some other disability....Also, I saw on the news that some were reported to have a problem when it came to how to address the question about race (don't recall the details)...

That's true. I guess I picture someone who is able to live on their own or is the head of a household as not disabled, literate and congiscant of their own race. I guess that's pretty narrowminded of me. :( I'm sorry.

We have aids to help non-English speaking people. There are forms in 6 different languages and like I said, other items to help people that may speak other languages--many I never heard of before! We're a small area here but there are many immigrants because of Ft. Knox.

That's true. I guess I picture someone who is able to live on their own or is the head of a household as not disabled, literate and congiscant of their own race. I guess that's pretty narrowminded of me. :( I'm sorry.

:hugTotally understandable oversight, Amy -You have no need to apologize -Sometimes it's easy to forget that things aren't always black or white...nor as easy as ABC. :) I happen to live in a very diverse neighborhood, and I also know and love a couple of wonderful independent yet functionally illiterate (English speaking) people.

Sadly:

42 million American adults can't read at all; 50 million are unable to read at a higher level that is expected of a fourth or fifth grader.

20 percent of high school seniors can be classified as being functionally illiterate at the time they graduate.

Your new job sounds like the temp job I had years ago where we all sat around waiting for someone to call to request a CT catalogue of summer activites/attractions. As the ad ran only once an hour, if that, we'd have maybe 10 minutes of activity, but then NOTHING. Back then, I didn't crochet, but I brought in books and some crosswords.

It was heavenly.

Unfortunately, it was a temp job, not terribly well-paying, and I soon found a permanent job (thankfully). But it was a wonderful 4 weeks! :c9

Looking back, it would have been awesome if I'd been crocheting by then.

Archived