Are you a Granny Purist?

Are you a Granny Purist?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Granny Purist?

• I'm a Granny Purist. Only the traditional granny squares are grannies to me.
    • All squares are granny squares to me, no matter the design.
    • I have no opinion, makes no difference to me what a square is called.

I love making all different kinds of squares, but I guess I'm a granny purist. It's always bothered me that squares in general are often referred to as Granny Squares. To me the only ones deserving of that honor are what we remember from the '70s. You know the ones...

post-19997-135897503057_thumb.jpg

I seem to be the first heretic here lol :)

I've tried crocheting only traditional grannies but have seen several different variations of crocheted rectangles and usually refer to them as granny squares I don't insist that all squares should be called granny squares but personally to me they have all the same title easy and not confusing. I'm planning to try all the variations too - they all look great no matter how one calls them.

Once upon a time I would tend to call all crochet squares "grannys' but really I'm a purist now. I don't get upset if others lump all crocheted piecework as grannys, but to me, I'm like the original poster...

My own grandmother taught me how to make traditional granny squares...

I've always considered all squares that start in the center, regardless of stitch pattern, to be granny squares and thought of the example as the traditional granny square. Hmmm, you've given me something to think about.

I voted purist but:

(1) There are variations on a granny square with granny elements that I would still call a granny, such as a granny rectangle. What I consider 'granny elements' are the granny-shell 'look' of 3 dc, chain 1. I've seen some where the center is modified slightly but then it 'becomes' a tranditional granny, and I would consider them granny squares.

(2) Not all motifs are granny squares. Granny squares are only 1 type of a gazillion motif patterns out there. Granny squares are a subset of motifs. Like, a square is a 2-dimensional geometrical figure, but not all 2-dimensional geometrical figures are squares.

Hey, I should know :rofl

I think I am a Granny purist also, because as Vonnie has shown, that's a Granny Ghan.

My Grandma also always made the first round in red, which was traditional. The little red centers were because they were the heart of your work. It's my guess that's how Red Heart Yarn got it's name.

It took me years to think it was OK to make the centers some color other than red, almost like it was sacreligeous to think otherwise. When I started seeing granny afghans that were purposely color coordinated with the centers also coordinating, I began to relax more about this. and now I love it.

To me, only the traditional granny squares are called granny squares. In my own personal dictionary, all the other squares are simply called "motifs". Even though they may be square in shape, they're not grannies.

In the old days they found use for everything, and didn't throw away leftovers.

To me the very idea of the word "Granny" means the tradition of making squares from scrap yarn. Therefor it doesn't matter what they look like.

:manyheart

I think I am a Granny purist also, because as Vonnie has shown, that's a Granny Ghan.

My Grandma also always made the first round in red, which was traditional. The little red centers were because they were the heart of your work. It's my guess that's how Red Heart Yarn got it's name.

It took me years to think it was OK to make the centers some color other than red, almost like it was sacreligeous to think otherwise. When I started seeing granny afghans that were purposely color coordinated with the centers also coordinating, I began to relax more about this. and now I love it.

I didn't know that about the red center:think Wow, sounds like it makes sense....I might keep that in mind and make one with red centers:hug:manyheart

Yes Vonnie ~ isn't that neat about the little red centers. And the Native Americans have Red Heart beads that actually have a red center.

Several times now I've found tecniques and crafts having multiple, but all valid, origins. Here in Scandinavia Granny's are a part of the native tradition, either as scrap yarn objects or with their traditional red, white, blue and green.

Not so surprising when you think of it, but interesting none the less.

:)

I am a "granny purist" the only true granny is a 3 or 4 row granny...just finished this and to me this is a granny ghan.....:hook

..that is lovely!:crocheting

I have to agree with you! To me, a granny square is made with the little blocks of 3 or 4 dc, and then there are granny variations like Donna's rectangle http://www.yarntomato.com/patterns/7x9-rectangle-granny/

Generally, I just like the traditional ones, but this looks intriguing. You could keep going with different colored rows and make a beautiful afghan.

I have to agree with you! To me, a granny square is made with the little blocks of 3 or 4 dc, and then there are granny variations like Donna's rectangle http://www.yarntomato.com/patterns/7x9-rectangle-granny/

Thanks for that link! I've been looking for a new pattern for the 7x9s and that is just perfect!

Not sure how to vote here. On the one hand when I think of granny squares, the scrap granny comes to mind. Something done in a variety of colors and bordered in black. But at the same time I think of this http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p403/mva549308/?action=view&current=HPIM0419.jpg&newes.

As you can see in the photo, there are the traditional grannyies, but also the "filled- in" granny as well as the another granny in a granny. So I guess I am a purist who is open to change,lol

I thought all squares were called "grannies." In fact, I thought all "motifs" (squares, hexagons, etc) were called "grannies," :blush so when I saw a call for 7" squares that specified "no grannies," I didn't understand how that was possible. :think Since I've realized "no grannies" didn't mean "no squares," I've been able to donate about a dozen. :lol

I'm making a whole blanket out of basic grannys, but mostly because I don't know how to make them fancy. So for now... a purist. Once I can do something more than a basic... maybe then not so much.

I never really thought much about this... I guess I just called all square motifs "grannies" as a general catch-all category. Reading everyone's responses has made me think twice!

Archived