Crochet Saves Lives!

Well, indirectly. :P

I thought you'd like to hear something nice: every year a colleague of mine organises a Christmas sale of work - crocheted, knitted and baked items - in aid of charity. I've taken up the helm as the resident crocheter (because the others died of old age. I kid you not :( ) Anyway, she told me yesterday that the proceeds of last year's sale paid the plane fare and the accommodation costs for two children from Kabul, Afghanistan, and their parents, to come over to our local clinic for life-saving heart operations.

So a big cheer to all of us crafters: let's not forget that what we do actually does make a difference. Everything we crochet or knit with love and goodwill will (hopefully) touch someone somewhere in a positive way.

Hurray for us :clap:clap:clap

Thank you for sharing this point of light, Miss Crochet! You beautifully illustrate how we can make a difference through our craft. The comfort that comes from our hooks sometimes extends far beyond the fabric that we create. Bless you. :manyheart

:ty for sharing this story. I think it is a lesson for all of us to learn. Each individual working separately may not be able to make much of a difference. But when we combine our efforts look what we can do. Keep us posted on what your group accomplishes this year. :manyheart

Each individual working separately may not be able to make much of a difference. But when we combine our efforts look what we can do.

It's absolutely true. We underestimate the power of many little kindnesses combined. We crafters also tend to dwell a bit on how our work is not appreciated (hands up, I'm guilty of that one sometimes.) Think of it: the €1000 that paid for a child's airfare is a hundred scarves, made on winter evenings after work and on weekends, sold in nearly-freezing conditions at a stall on our market square. It seems like a lot of work, doesn't it? But every stitch stitched and every hour spent working on them, the freezing toes and fingers from standing around in a bitter Bavarian winter, all resulted in some little child being able to live. It's worth it, isn't it?

And I love to read about all the nice things that people are doing here on the Ville: making scarves and hats and shawls and blankets for various good causes. It's just nice to hear some feedback to make you think, "Aaah - that was worth every second I spent on it!"

This year the plan is to bring over two more children. The surgeons will do the operations for free, and the children even live with some of the clinic employees while recuperating. The money from this sale pays for their airfares and allows the families some money to live on while they're over here. Fingers crossed we manage to do as well this year as we have in previous years.

That's so wonderful to hear that there are so many dedicated people helping others in need. I find that I don't have space any more and am giving away all my 30+ years of crochet supplies, magazines, etc. so I've had to discontinue most of my crochet projects.

Oh, yes, thank you for sharing that, Miss Crochet. That's the second affirmation this week that I've read of the direct impact of our crocheting, and how it really does change lives. You're right, it may not seem like much, but it really is powerful. A little yarn, a couple of hours, a life. How humbling. How inspiring.

I haven't given up donating money to my favorite causes at all. But I still like the intimate connection of something going from my hands to someone's lap (a blanket) or neck (a scarf, as in this case). Doubling the warmth provided.

Good for you! And perhaps you'll inspire another crocheter to join you. If not, that makes you the Indispensable Sole Crocheter. :hug

{The other was a post about how the gents appreciate the scarves made for the D-Day Musuem and distributed free to veterans; posted on Ravelry.}

Patty

• 2 weeks later...

Archived