I know there is no set rule but

I never know when to change colors on a doilie.......I love doilies that have more than one color but never know where to change the color to make it look right....I also have problems with this when making a "painted doily" Anyone else have this problem:think is there an easy way to know when to change colors:crocheting What do you think:blush

It's always sort of hit-and-miss, but I will say this--having a chart to look at makes it easier to visualize which rows might work best. The one time I did a painted doily from a written pattern, I found it very hard to work out.

If I'm wanting to use several colors, I will look for a pattern with a lot of variety in the rows rather than a continuous pattern. A continuous pattern--such as pineapples, but other designs, too--doesn't look good broken up color changes (IMO). If I'm just using two colors, one MC and one CC, I just look for elements that would be pleasing to emphasize in another color--a strong design element like fans or something.

For painted doilies, I think the simplest designs are best, so that the color can be the feature rather than the design.

LOL--you tell I have a lot of opinions on this stuff. Let me see if I can find some old doily pictures to illustrate what I've said here...

These are examples of doilies where I've selected one part of the design element to show off with a contrasting color. The doilies do have strong design elements of their own, so that helps make choosing where to put the CC easier.

post-13065-135897447176_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897447178_thumb.jpg

post-13065-13589744718_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897447181_thumb.jpg

Here are some doilies where I had at least 3 colors to use, and I really had to think about how to place them to best effect. The square one was probably the hardest to work out, and the sunflower one the easiest. The oval is a perfect example of a lot of variation in the pattern (no continuous design until the border), so it lends itself to color changes.

Here is a link to an OLD blog post, in which I show another oval doily made in colors (similar in concept--lots of variation and no continuous design). You will laugh to read me saying that I usually crochet with white and ecru. That was my first multi-colored doily, and so far I have not looked back.

http://ukrakovianki.blogspot.com/2006/11/work-of-her-hands.html

post-13065-135897447182_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897447183_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897447184_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897447185_thumb.jpg

You've hit a favorite topic of mine, I guess, Vonnie. :lol I have a lot to say. Looking at the sunflower doily again, you can see that the green part has a continuous design. I would never change colors in the middle of that kind of design.

I agree with Karen, I never change color in the middle of a continuous design. It has to be when the design elements changes or I stick with one color. Its always a challenge designing to figure out color changes. You have to have a good idea of where you are going with a design to add color without loosing the design.

Sometimes I challenge myself to use color as an element of my designing.

I am of the old school also that the colors used in the piece go well together. Complimentry or harmonizing colors are important to pull a piece together. I have seen some color combinations that set my teeth on edge.

Color is wonderful if it is well thought out, But can be a big distraction if it isn't.

Here are few of my design that I used color on.

My Avalon Doily got an Honorable Mention in the CGOA design contest this year. That is the lavendar and ecru one, It also has green in it.

post-709-135897447606_thumb.jpg

post-709-135897447629_thumb.jpg

post-709-135897447643_thumb.jpg

post-709-135897447648_thumb.jpg

I don't have exactly the same problems as Kathy, because I'm not designing the doilies. I'm usually looking at all white designs, already complete, and deciding how to use color in them. Designing with color changes in mind is something else altogether, and I don't think many designers do it--Most designs I see patterns for are monochromatic.

Thank you both so much for your examples and pictures!!! I love them all, it does help to see some color ideas to see where I can change colors.....I don't design but I love to make solid doilies into mix colored doilies.... Thanks again for your help....

I have made a couple of the painted doilies. Nothing to compare to Katchkan or Krakovianka.

Anyway, I was told for the painted doilies, you take the number of rows and divide it by the number of colors you want to use and that tells you how many rows for each color. Then of course 3 rows before the color change, you start switching on strand with the new color, so it blends.:hook

Painted Doily

I have made a couple of the painted doilies. Nothing to compare to Katchkan or Krakovianka.

Anyway, I was told for the painted doilies, you take the number of rows and divide it by the number of colors you want to use and that tells you how many rows for each color. Then of course 3 rows before the color change, you start switching on strand with the new color, so it blends.:hook

Painted Doily

Oh that makes sense and it sounds easy to do, I will give it a try, I love the painted doilies but eye sight isn't what it used to be...:eek thanks:hug

I hate to tell you this, but it depends on the pattern. If you have a row of chain loops, for example, that are merely an anchor for a bunch of dc clusters on the next row, then that row is null in your color-change scheme. It will not be seen. Tampa Doll's math is a good starting point, but you have look more closely at the pattern, and be a little flexible and prepared to change your plan as you go along. (Guess how I learned this?) :lol

Wow, what a wonderful instruction on doily art this share has become...I am so glad that I threaded through! Katchkan and Krakovianka, your works are so artfully done. Thank you for sharing! :yes

Karen and Kathy,

Ladies, those are some of the most beautiful dollies I have seen. Makes me want to get into string crochet again. I fear my eyes won't like it, but what the hay. They are too beautiful not to do.

Karen and Kathy: Your doilies are breathtaking!! :heart Thank you so much for sharing the photos.:manyheart I only crochet doilies but do not know how to add color :( so all of them are crochet in solid colors unless they are floral ones!!:rose I depend on pictures in the crochet magazines or professionals like both of you so that I can crochet with colors!! :ty Bonnie for asking the question that I am sure benefits a lot of us!!

Archived