U Shawl

fran

A couple of months (or so) ago clearwaters posted a photo of a blue knitted shawl. I was very taken with the shape and made one in crochet. It isn't lacey but is very warm and stays on the shoulders. It has a nice drape in the back. My neighbor consented to model it for me. I will be making more of these. There is a mesh row about every 10th row.

UShawl.jpg

Admin Note:

An exact pattern has not been posted, but in Post #53 fran says that general instructions are given in two posts: Post #33 and Post #36, and should be enough information to make the shawl.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! You crocheted the 'Pi Square' shawl!! Great job!!! Is there a pattern forthcoming?

Is that what it's called? I was just going by the photo of the blue knitted shawl that was posted on this forum some time ago. As for the pattern, I didn't think anyone would want it. I was just playin' around.

Is that what it's called? I was just going by the photo of the blue knitted shawl that was posted on this forum some time ago. As for the pattern, I didn't think anyone would want it. I was just playin' around.

Yes, it's definately called the "Pi Square" shawl! And I would definately want a pattern if you care to write it up! I'll test your pattern for you even!

You did a great job! I had thought about trying to make up a pattern, but you beat me to it. :lol I love the colors you used. It's too hot here for me to be crocheting something so warm. Did you use acrylic or cotton yarn? I can't tell.

Oh please :nworthy please write up a pattern for this! Yours looks great, I haven't been able to find even the knitting pattern "Pi R Squared" to try to *convert*. Add another vote!

Great job! :hook

Oh please :nworthy please write up a pattern for this! Yours looks great, I haven't been able to find even the knitting pattern "Pi R Squared" to try to *convert*. Add another vote!

Great job! :hook

I need to make a correction in the actual name of this shawl, it's "Pie Are Square Shawl" and/or "Pi Square Shawl". The original knit pattern is in a book called "Knitting Around" by Elizabeth Zimmerman, published by Schoolhouse Press in 1989.

Thank you for the info, Cheryl. I finally found a pic of it on the net. It's a circle! I didn't know that. Although I did know that pi r squared is the formula for the circumference of a circle. Sounds like she did all sorts of mathmatical calculations. My shawl is the "by guess and by golly" school of math. Ok, ok. I'll write it up just for "U" all at Crochetville.

Archived