State Fair Entry

Hi Everyone! I've decided that I'm going to make an afghan to enter in the state fair this year. I have two weeks of vacation coming up & no money to go anywhere! :( So, I thought this would be something for me to do while I'm relaxing at home.

I just thought I'd ask for any advice from people who've entered projects in their local or state fairs before. This will be a first for me!

Will it be at the state fair in Dallas?? Let us know...I will look for it when I go!!!:hug

That's what I'm planning. I know they do a "North Texas State Fair" in Denton, too. But, I don't know if they have arts & crafts?

That's what I'm planning. I know they do a "North Texas State Fair" in Denton, too. But, I don't know if they have arts & crafts?

Okay...I just googled the North Texas State Fair, and they "do" have a Creative Arts contest. Not sure which one to enter?

I was going to mention maybe you could do both, but then I looked at the State Fair website and entry deadline is July 31, then items must be delivered in the middle of August after your entry has been registered. And they keep them for a while. http://www.bigtex.com/docs/Rulesandinstructions09Hndbk.pdf

Good luck in deciding which you enter!

I have entered the one in MD for the last two years. I actually won a blue ribbon for a purse I amde at the 2008 one. My advice is to make sure that the dye lots match, that your ends are woven in, and that your tension is consitent. Challenge yourself when you look at possible patterns as sometimes the more unusual are popular. My blue ribbon was for a felted purse that someone told me looked like a houndstooth pattern. I essentially made up the pattern as I went.

NiYa :yarn

I have entered the one in MD for the last two years. I actually won a blue ribbon for a purse I amde at the 2008 one. My advice is to make sure that the dye lots match, that your ends are woven in, and that your tension is consitent. Challenge yourself when you look at possible patterns as sometimes the more unusual are popular. My blue ribbon was for a felted purse that someone told me looked like a houndstooth pattern. I essentially made up the pattern as I went.

NiYa :yarn

I'm actually looking at a pattern for an afghan that has a pocket for your feet. It's something I've been looking at for myself. I have a quilted "blankie" that has a foot pocket that I use all the time, but it's starting to wear out. So, I thought I'd make myself a new one! :hook

Wish you well! I've never entered a state fair, but from what I've read, much of it is "In the details"--tails, dye lot, even tension, etc etc. (originality helps too)

Keep us informed :)

I'm a three time state of Ohio winner and it seems to be all about the details. Make sure your dye lots match, no knots and make sure you do some blocking with your blanket. I wash mine and dry them partially and them pin them to my living room floor for a couple days to block them.

It's a lot of fun. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes!

:hookColleen

Back in the early '80s I entered some baked items in the Kentucky State Fair. Never won anything but it sure was fun. Good Luck with your entry. Keep us posted on what happens.

Not silly at all! They are usually held in the Capitol city of the state...for instance, I live in Indiana and the capitol is Indianapolis. That is where our state fair is. They are generally held the same time every year. There are also county fairs. I live in Lake county. Our fair is in August every year. The neighboring county is Porter and theirs is in July every year. The fairs consist of a number of venues. They have carnival rides, LOTS of food, animals, vegetables, flowers, and crafts. Vendors of all kinds! You can really make an entire day of it! They have different forms of entertainment and usually concerts or car races in the evening. Hubby and I look forward to it every year! I've never entered anything in the fair but have always wanted to. Hope this helps you understand an American tradition a bit better!

Friends who have entered state and local fairs say much of it is in following the rules to the letter! Good luck and please post your results!

I agree.

I enter the McHenry County fair all the time and it really depends on the judges themselves. Do your best. Tuck in all those ends properly.

Choose a pattern that's not too hard for you, but will be pleasing to the eye of the judge.

I've entered afghans for many years, and have only gotten up to a 2nd place.

Good luck.

:manyheart

Thanks for explaining the state fairs to me (especially Linda for the PM :hug).

We have something similar in Ireland, a county fair. It's mostly agricultural though, with some crafts. When we were small, we used love looking at all the chickens and horses and cows... the crafts were much less interesting :lol There isn't anything like this in my part of Germany... just beer festivals... not quite as exciting as a display of combine harvesters and bullocks, as far as I'm concerned!

Hi Everyone! I've decided that I'm going to make an afghan to enter in the state fair this year. I have two weeks of vacation coming up & no money to go anywhere! :( So, I thought this would be something for me to do while I'm relaxing at home.

I just thought I'd ask for any advice from people who've entered projects in their local or state fairs before. This will be a first for me!

I am entering my town's local art festival for the first time. I am entering an afghan of my Grandparents. I got the pattern from Todd Paschall

• 2 months later...

I only enter a community fair and a county ag expo, our state fair is too far. I will just say, make sure your dye lots match and your stitches are neat. Don't pick a pattern you think will please somebody else, pick one that pleases you. I know you will do fantastic with whatever you decide to make. Keep us updated on the project progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my results back yesterday....I placed 10th, which means my afghan won't be displayed at the fair. :ohdear I was really sad at first, but it was my first time ever entering. Plus, I have no idea how many entries they receive every year. So, looking on the bright side, I made the top ten! :yay And, I can look forward to next year! :yes Plus, I have a new blanket that I made just for me! :hook

Archived