Happy birthday from Marilyn

Gege

My sister's birthday was last month and I had a glorious idea for her birthday present. She has a love for all things 1950's- particularly I Love Lucy, Elvis, and Marilyn. So, I went to the planning board, checked out my wool stash, and voila! This is what I came up with:

Isn't that gorgeous?!? That's not all, my friends- you can't have just one Warhol-esque Marilyn- you need at least two! Here's the other side:

I didn't want to give it to her, quite honestly. I LOVE IT AND I WANT IT! She absolutely adores it and has proudly worn it everywhere- she's a great billboard. smiley.gif

I got the inspiration from Becky from beck's blog- you've probably seen her Marilyn afghan- absolutely freaking gorgeous!

This was the first time I felted Tunisian crochet- worked really well! It was also the first time I put a zipper in a purse:

SQUEE! I had to figure out how to do it all by my lonesome, but I did it. I don't know if it's done the "correct" way, but it does work and actually came out decently. The lining is absolutely beautiful. It has a shiny silver backing to it that makes it shimmer. It also makes it a bear to hand sew!! Seriously- sewing those handles and the lining into the bag was probably the hardest thing I've done- I went through 2 needles! But, it was worth it- so gorgeous. smiley.gif

Here is a pre-felting pic so you can see just how big this sucker was:

Yeah- freakin' huge!

Now....to decide whether or not to make one for me....hmmm..... smiley.gif

http://gegecrochet.blogspot.com/2009/05/marilyns-birthday-greetings.html

post-22851-135897407236_thumb.jpg

post-22851-135897407239_thumb.jpg

post-22851-135897407243_thumb.jpg

post-22851-135897407245_thumb.jpg

WOW!! That is truly a great job. How great that you learned new skills and made something fabulous! My SIL would LOVE this and ask for a James Dean too. Certainly, be proud of yourself!!

Thanks everyone! goldenj- I like to felt the heck out of my projects- I don't want any stitch definition at all. I find that they usually shrink by at least a third, sometimes even more, but not as much as a half. MarciMarie- hmmm.....James Dean........ ;)

Haha! Thanks :) I soooo HATE to weave in ends- that Medusa Marilyn was quite a shock coming out of the washer....though, I think the "nose hair" was the most hysterical for me. :)

I love that bag. Beautiful. I checked out your blog and got a good chuckle over your felted ends. Sort of Marilyn meets Medusa.

Great job.

• 4 weeks later...

Just amazing! You do this in your SPARE time? :eek Hate to see what you could produce if you really knuckled down and put your mind to it! :lol

Shelley

Archived