"Model 18"

such a pretty name for a doily isn't it?! So I call it Hearts instead ;)

Made using #10 thread from my local shop, a size 1.5mm hook and a DIAGRAM.

I'm so pleased with myself for making this without written instructions, I've been grinning about it since I started it yesterday :lol

The booklet it is from is "Easy Handicrafts Small Doilies no/4" and judging from the advert for knitwear on the back page I'd say it's from the late 80's/earlier 90s :D

I'm disappointed that my choice of thread totally obscures the pretty pattern but I still can't stop grinning over my accomplishment :manyheart

post-14036-135897406411_thumb.jpg

I agree with you now ctawq but 3 days ago I would have insisted that I needed all those words :) it's like magic when it clicks into place :2magic I'm now half way through another doily from the same booklets & it's going very smoothly so far.

Charts are the best! Once I used one the first time, I haven't ever wanted to look at written-out instructions again. Your sweet red and white doily looks like you didn't miss a stitch with it, either. Very good job, kookaloo!

Thank you all, it is so nice to come here & get positive comments! My sister told me today to stop making doilies as "you're not 70 years old" I told her I'll make them now as I doubt I'll be able to by then - bah!!

Cherrypicker, give diagrams a try. I covered the rest of the chart up and uncovered them as I went along first time, it helped. There's no worrying about whether its a UK or USA or even Turkish pattern either, it doesn't matter what the stitch is called so long as you know what they symbols mean.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you did a lovely job! i did find looking for the hearts even better and the thread makes the doily! Please do remember that the UK and Australia doesn't use the same symbols as we do. Their treble is our double, their dc is our single. So it will make a difference in the pattern if it is USA or UK and Australian.

Mathwizard the beauty of the chart is that the stitch names don't matter, if I see a stitch with one line through it (-) I wrap yarn around once, if I see a stitch with two lines through it (=) I wrap it twice :) I've made things from Russian and Japanese sites since I got the gist of charted patterns :hook I actually prefer USA terms for written patterns as I taught myself crochet from USA sites.

Archived