My new baby

Shelleden

Meet Molly! Here's a neat story about a daughter's love....

First, a little background.... I recently lost my beloved Jack Russell, Maggie. Many of you know about her. I've talked about her before. She was my favorite model for my Doggie Duds. She was 17 last December, and the vet thinks she had a stroke. She got pretty bad off, so we had to have her put to sleep, a very difficult thing to do! I have a very good and caring vet, and I knew it was the right thing to do, but my heart was broken. It's hard to even write this. It was a peaceful event, she was alert and looking around all the way to the vet, but she was just sooo weak. I kept telling her over and over "Mommy loves you." At least she wasn't crying out in pain, thankfully! The vet said her heart was real weak. She couldn't even stand up, and she didn't even try to raise her head or anything. He said as her kidneys shut down and everything, she would suffer, so....

She died on Feb. 27. But the good thing is, she lived a good life, and out-lived her life expectancy! She was happy and active up until the day before she died. In fact, two days prior, she actually ran across the room for a treat! She would have a burst of energy and agility at times, then other times, she was stiff and had difficulty getting up. But all in all, she was in pretty good shape for her age. Her vision remained perfect, but she was a little hard-of-hearing. I was so attached to this dog, more so than any dog I've ever had. She was just so special. We enjoyed her so much! She was so smart, loyal, and funny!

My daughter, Becky, has raised JRTs for about 10 yrs., and had told me a couple months ago that she had the perfect 'Maggie puppy'. Knowing that Maggie probably wouldn't be around much longer, she thought I should have this puppy. I said No, when Maggie goes, I don't want to get another dog! I was adamant, and the subject was dropped.

So....last Friday she sent me a text and said she had a favor to ask of me.... would I dog-sit this JRT puppy for the weekend while they were gone. She said she's the last of a litter and she hasn't sold yet, and I hate to leave her in the puppy kennel all by herself all weekend. Hmmmm.... I texted back Is this a trick?? She said No, no tricks here! I was suspicious though.

I think God had a hand in this. Usually, her dogs sell immediately - quite often BEFORE they're born, people will put a deposit on them. But, for some reason this one didn't sell (13 weeks old) and Bec couldn't figure out why. Then, she comes up with this plan..... she said they were going to be 'gone' (I figured a race or something - it's not unusual for them to be gone for a weekend). So I said "OK, I'll take care of her for you". So, she brings the puppy in, and there it is -- a brown head, and two big brown spots on her back just like Maggie! (Maggie's face turned white in her old age though lol). I think within the first hour she had me! I texted Bec later in the evening and said IF this IS a trick, it's working! She said she laughed when she got that text. So, the next day, she called me. I was headed to walmart to get her some toys, etc... I had already made up my mind I wanted her! She said someone called wanting to buy the puppy!!! Can you believe it?! Nobody wanted her until she gave her to ME! So Bec told them it was spoken for, but if something fell thru she would call them back. So she said "Mom, if you want her, she's yours, but if not, I'll call them back and tell them they can have her. I told Bec I'd really like to keep her, but she had a chance to sell her for $400. Bec said she'd rather GIVE her to me, than sell her to someone else. She said she knows she'll have the best home possible. Plus she knew how much I needed her. I didn't realize how much it would help, but it really has. I still miss Maggie terribly, but now I can think about her without bawling. It's like Molly has filled a void. She healed the hole in my heart. So then Bec asked me if I had seen the number she was calling from.... I said No, I just saw the name... she laughed and said it was the shop's number (their business, Mullins Motorsports). I said "YOU ARE SO GROUNDED!!" LOL I said "I KNEW it was a trick!!!" She said, "Well I knew you would love her, I just had to figure out a way to get you to give it a chance. And I didn't lie - we are gone from the house...." Clever girl! (Can you still ground a 34 yr. old daughter?) So, here's Molly! My husband suggested naming her "Maggie", but that just didn't feel right to me. There was only one Maggie and she can never be replaced.

Millie didn't like her at first, but she's getting used to her now. They'll be good friends soon. She's adorable - a very sweet, smart dog - and pretty calm for a JRT. She's perfect!

spongebobpuppy2.jpg

Molly

MaggieandMIllie.jpg

Millie and Maggie

Hi, I just read your story about your sweet Maggie, so sorry,I too can relate to your story, it brought tears to my eyes. I am a doggie lover, 1yr 1/2 ago, we had to get our little chihuahua put to sleep. It was a very sad day for us, he was almost 15 years old, he got very sick, kidneys were failing, bad vision and deaf. We loved him very much, I just wet him with my tears when we had to take him to the vet and do such a thing. Thinking back on it now, i realize it was a very good decision because we have to do what's best for him as we didn't want to see him suffer. I am sure Maggie had a great life. Sounds like she was pampered just like our doggie was.

I do not have another dog yet, but I am working on it! Our little dogs pic is in my profile. He was such a sweetie!

Now you have a new little addition to your family , he is such a cutie. Great trick for that daughter to play on you, but a good one. Please don't ground her!lol I wish you many happy years with your new Molly! Judy

Here is a poem that I found on the internet!

DOG’S PLEA

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ears.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Author Unknown

Uh oh, not sure I can type this without crying! :cry OK, so I can't ... :cry

So sorry to hear about Maggie. Ya know, doggies are amazing. :manyheart Your Maggie was around just long enough to help me with my Maggie. That's what she was supposed to do and I thank her very, very much for that. :hug Your new baby is adorable and I wish you guys many years of happiness together.

Here's my Maggie, right after a bath and a haircut, and her now, in major need of a bath and a haircut, lol.

th_IMG_0333a.jpg th_IMG_0321-1.jpg

Thanks Judy for your kind words and the poem, it's very touching. Choked me up.

Craw, your Maggie is so cute. She sure has curly locks! :D

Thank you Gardener, I hope so, too!

Molly is adorable! Part of the magic of dogs and cats is that they make our hearts grow bigger loving them. So that when they do finally have to leave us, they leave us behind with a heart big enough to accommodate still loving them while loving another little cat or dog.

Congratulations! And we look forward to seeing Molly learn to be a model dog for your beautiful sweaters. Patty

What a very sweet story. You know Shelle, sometimes our kids know best. ;)

It was a year after I lost my faithful companion of 16 years before my daughter asked for a Pug for Christmas.....turned out to be MY Pug! And I would be lost without her. It definately helped to fill the big hole in my heart.

Shelle, your story brought tears to my eyes. Let me say this...your daughter is one smart cookie. She knows her mom, that's for sure. What a great friend she is to you.

My parents have a JRT and she's never sat still a day in her life. I sure know when it's her time my parents will be heartbroken, as will I. She's quite a character.

Crazy, isn't it, how attached we grow to these little creatures? They steal our hearts like no one or nothing else can. I just wish they lived as long as we did.

You are so lucky to have a new 'baby'. She's adorable .... and priceless!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody! I still miss my Maggie so much, but Molly sure is providing a lot of doggie love and enjoyment. She's quite a character already! I taught her to sit and shake in about 5 minutes. She seems pretty smart and is relatively calm for a JRT. I think she's going to be a wonderful companion. Here she is in her new sweater I made her. Dixie is my daughter's dog, and is a couple months older. They played and played that day.

DixieandMollly2.jpg

Dixie and Molly

DixieandMollly.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Having just lost my beloved Ginger, I know how you miss Maggie. When I lost my first dober girl, Misty Bleu, my daughter waited six months then said "Mom, you need another dober girl" and she took me to where she had found one and bought her for me. She, Kia, is now almost 12 and is the same age as Ginger, so....

Molly is adorable and just what you needed. The last pictures of her really, really contained the AWWWWWW factor! :yes

Congrats on your new baby, she is just precious. I so understand how you feel our own beloved poochiemama in 07 we had had her 13 yrs, she was a rescue and the best dog ever. When we had to have her put to sleep (terminal cancer) it broke all our hearts. We decided to not get anything else, it was just too hard and that decision was right for us, and this decision seems to be right for you. Looks like Molly came along right when you needed her .Please enjoy your new baby and keep the doggie duds coming. ps below is a pic of my beloved Poochiemama

Julsxmaspics066-1.jpg

Been there, done that! My beloved 2 yr old long hair chi was attacked by two pitbulls on Sunday, Nov 1. He died in my arms wrapped in a warm towel. I now have two new chi's who i love but nothing can take the place of Chico. Best wishes on your new baby!!!

Your story reminds me of my Jack Russell, Pickles. I gave her away to a good home, after Hurricane Ike destroyed my fence (along with my window, parts of my roof and window and ceiling and almost all of my crochet patterns). She loved being outside and didn't care to be indoors for very long. So, she lives on a trailer park and rides on an ATV and visits everyone. She has a better life I know, but I still have that ache for her. I had to do right by her, and you did the same with your dog. I'm glad you have a new puppy and that your heart is mending.

Dogs Rule,

Linda

P.S. I have 2 Labs and a Westie living inside my house (still waiting for the fence, ugh insurance issues due to Ike).

Been there, done that! My beloved 2 yr old long hair chi was attacked by two pitbulls on Sunday, Nov 1. He died in my arms wrapped in a warm towel. I now have two new chi's who i love but nothing can take the place of Chico. Best wishes on your new baby!!!

Oh, I am so so sorry.

:hug

Linda

ohh, she's soooo cute!

I love jrt's! We have one!

I totally know how it feels to loose one too, that happened with our first one. She was three legged, due to a vet putting a cast on a broken leg to tight and developing gangrene! Anyway, she got around the farm super well, but she got into a stock tank one day, and we weren't near, and she drowned before we got there... It was soo depressing.

I'm glad you have a new puppy!

Archived