Okay.... I give up!

My oldest daughter is expecting (this will be grandchild number 5 -- not same daughter -- counting from all my kids! :heehee ) I have tried to no avail, to make baby sweaters numerous times and I just can't seem to get the knack of it.... (the others I've made never turned out either)

I also struggle with baby sweaters, its those darn little sleeves that get me, I can never make a sleeve that fits in the armhole!

I totally hear you! Even with swatches, I cannot make something to fit! I've tried several different cardigans and sweaters, to no avail. I tried the short-n-sweet from the SnBHH book, the gauge worked out perfectly. Well, about halfway through, it would have fit my 3-y/o! :eek I actually did make the sweetie-pie toddler dress and it came out one size smaller than planned- it fit anyway so I was happy. But I don't think I will be trying wearables again anytime soon.

My tension/gauge seems to vary with my mood or with the phases of the moon or something.

Rather than following patterns strictly, I usually look for the kind of patterns that come with good graphics showing the size and shape of the finished pieces - that way you can adapt as you go along.

Aww hon....... darn it... I'm sorry to hear you're having such issues.

Okay... if you're willing to try one or two more times....

give these couple of patterns a try........

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/hexagon-jacket.html

and........

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-baby-jacket.html

:heart

:mug

That's why I quit sewing!! I've only crocheted one sweater and it was ok. The pattern was written by measurements for each piece so I just crocheted til each pattern piece matched the picture and it came out ok. I'm usually terrible with gauge!

I tend to measure as I go, then I can increase / decrease as needed. If this can work for you, you might try and find a life size baby doll to help you with pattern fitting. Just a thought

I had the same thought, measuring would've been a great thing for you, can't imagine how you ended up with a sweater 3 sizes bigger for yourself, I think the larger width is something that would become obvious if not during the first few rows at least in the first piece... I've only made one child's cardigan for a 2 y.o. and don't even think the pattern was all that clear but it turned out right even though I'd never even seen the child I made it for, but in my "mind's eye" the size looked right. However, I used to sew a little so maybe I had the advantage of knowing what pattern pieces look like, it's probably harder for someone who doesn't sew.

Maybe you shouldn't just give up but find new patterns AND use a store-bought garment of the right size and fit turned inside out as a guide you can compare your WIP with.

I agree with yarnluver, don't give up. Next time measure as you go. That's how I was finally able to knit sweaters that fit. Like you, my gauge was always good but for some reason the sweaters came out too big. I started measuring as I went and it made a big difference!

I really like this hexagon jacket - there is a link on it for a solid one too!! I make a lot of afghans and my squares / hexagons always are the size the pattern states. I'm starting it right away! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'll let you know how it turns out! :hug:yay I have a hexagon baby afghan that I can make to match the jacket too! I am so excited, I can't stop grinning! Off I go!

Oh... I'm excited for you............ :hug I sure do hope you have success with this sweater. I really like the pattern. And yes... make a matching hex blanket and maybe even a granny beanie...... and you have a lovely baby set for gift giving!

Please keep us updated as how this one is coming along. I do expect to see pictures... because I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! :cheer

I made this set a while back... I have it tucked away for last minute gift giving .. I should make a matching blanket to go with it! :yay

DCP02477.jpg

I have the same problem. With a granddaughter on the way due 4/20 I have been trying like crazy to make sweaters, etc for her with the same problems you have.

http://bellabambinaknits.blogspot.com/2007/08/sweater-dress-pattern.html

Sunday I started the Bella Bambina Sweater Dress and decided to measure it against a onesie I'd picked up for her, and it was right on size! Yay! I love Kelly's patterns, because you can make them plain or fancy as you choose.

I made a granny square vest (a 70's fad), it was a little lopsided (frogged it). The hat I made didn't fit anyone I knew. It was too nice to frog, so I gave it to a church rummage sale. The only wearables I make are scarves (I have made them too long though :lol). I like afghans and stuffed toys. Size doesn't matter.

Ellie 13

My first question to the oversizing would be, "what kind of yarn did you use?" Is the yarn you are using the same as the pattern suggestion or different. Yarns have weights that vary greatly and this will make a huge differnece in your pattern. If you are making a baby item that calls for finger weight yarn and use worsted, you're in trouble. Even substitutions of the same weight vary. I would try a pattern and use exactly what the pattern maker used before giving up.......it's worth it in the end when you accomoplish that first piece that fits!

There is a great pattern at www.lionbrand.com and it is rectangles sewed together very simple, no decreases, just plain rectangles. Good luck!!

Can you give us the right link or the name of the pattern? That link is just for the home page.... Thanks!

I'm about done with the hexagon sweater! This is just too cool! :yay I am doing the cuffs and edgings today and then starting on the hexagon afghan pattern I got from Crochet Pattern Central.

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/BabyChild/LW1806+Hexagon+Baby+Blanket.htm

I'll post a picture of the sweater when I get it completed.

I can't thank you enough, teakaycee, for telling me about it! :hug The picture you posted is very cute. I love the colors you picked!

I am soooo thrilled. I was sooo frustrated and really wanted to make a sweater that turned out right! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Itttttttt turnnnnnnnnnned outtttt! ha ha hahaha (singing as I turn cartwheels across the livingroom!)

:yay :yay :yay:cheer :cheer :cheer:yay :yay :yay

:yay:yay:yay:hook:hook:hook:yay:yay:yay

I am more than excited to hear this one is working for you!

I know it can be disappointing at times when you just cant make something....... so I just knew you needed to have something that would boost your confidence again. I cant wait to see pictures.

Congratulations sweetie............ you did it and I'm proud of you for not giving up! :hug

btw......... thank you for the compliment on the one I made.

:cheer:yay:cheer Its Perfect :cheer:yay:cheer

I am so happy for you... look at that... it came out GREAT! Love the colors too!

Oh... and a blankie to match........ good for you!

I knew you could do it!

okay.. now stop ready this post.. get that blanket done missy!! :hook I cant wait to see pics of the set!

:clap Congratulations on persevering and finding a pattern that worked for you. Your hexagon sweater is gorgeous. You've got a really good eye for colour combinations! Looking forward to seeing it with the matching blankie.... :yay

I'm glad to see that by coming here and share your frustration with your peers you also found the encouragement to try again, and look! A gorgeous sweater!!! :clap I'm SO happy for you, congratulations on a great job!

Congrats on finding a pattern that works for you. Love the sweater, the colors are great......I could see a lovely blanket with it. I think I will try this pattern just as soon as I dig out from under my wips....currently working on my first shawl, I am adapting an afghan pattern and having a few trials of my own. Your perseverance is encouraging, I will not give up. :) Now back to stitching, the sooner I finish, the sooner I can get to this sweater,lol.

Archived