Other than a baby blanket (I am working on) what else would be good for a newborn?

My cousin just became a father on Dec. 21, 2008 he has a little girl. I am currently crocheting her a RR baby blanket. What else would be good to crochet for her besides a cap? Baby booties are to complicated for me I tried & could not get the hang of. I am also crocheting her a cap.

I have never crocheted clothes before. So what else would be good to crochet for the little girl? I don't want to ask my cousin since I would rather it be a surprise. I can't ask anyone else in the family (my family gossips too much so he would find out). Any ideas???

I've always believed that babies should have two blankets. One is the screaming in the car seat-I want my blankie-drag through the sandbox blanket. And the other is the heirloom lacey christening blanket for special occasions blanket. My nephews have two. One looks like it's been through a war zone (I love it!) and the other is in a special handcrafted box for future generations. (A guy I work with made the most AMAZING box for it!)

So if you like making blankets, make two! :D

:hookColleen

When my younger son was born a coworker made a mini quilt for him. At the time I didn't get it. I ended up using it more than almost any other blanket. It's about 24 inches x 30 inches. It fit him perfect over the baby carrier without long ends hanging out or having to be tucked in. Worked in the stroller, car seat, lots of places. When he got older it was his bear's blanket for bed time. Just a thought, I sure loved having a small blanket.

You can never have too many afghans/blankets. Babies tend to 'leak' a lot! :heehee I liked having a small blanket baby length (thick - made with two strands of ww) to keep in the diaper bag for a changing pad. They are nice because they can be tossed in the wash and won't melt or crack like plastic does after so many washings. And smaller afghans can also be made for burping cloths!

You can never have too many sweaters as well. The smaller the baby is, it is better for less buttons and decorations as it 'hurts' delicate skin when laying on a 'bump'. And watch the buttons for any size sweater. If it can be put in their mouth, it will get there!

Ribbons weaved or woven through an afghan or sweater collar or edging are a pet peeve for me too! A lot of aghans/sweaters have ribbon on the borders or edging. They are too easy to be pulled out in a loop. Though they are pretty on a piece, they are really dangerous to a young child. If you want a ribbon on your item, then actually sew it down every 1/2 inch with needle and thread so that it can not be pulled loose for the baby/child to get it tangled around a wrist/arm/leg or neck.

Booties are another good thing to make for cold little feet. Up until the time they are walking and pulling themselves up, as they are too slippery for them after that!

Perhaps some puppet washcloths to make bathtime more fun. You could follow a theme such as barnyard animals or silly pets. I would use a gentle cotton for those since they are for baby.

May I also suggest a little pamper kit for Mommy-to-be? Some nice crocheted washcloths, a dainty lace holder with some scented soaps in it.

If you want to make something for the new baby to wear, I highly suggest making it for when the baby is a bit older. Everyone buys for when the baby is a newborn so it's always nice to have something special when the child is a few months older.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

A sweater may be a good project in a 6-9 month size or larger.

Find a pattern worked from the top down with a yoke to start with and you should have no problems. There's a nice one in the book "24 hour Crochet projects" that I have made and it turned out really cute.

Good luck in making gifts for the baby.

:manyheart

you should make a BICO sweater. they are SUPER easy (made in one piece). but I would make it one size larger than you want. i made one and it turned out small. i don't crochet tightly so i'm blaming the pattern. search BICO for the pattern.

yes like everyone said: some small square changing-type blankies, you can never have enough and how about a bath set including one of those loofah balls? Make it with some super soft cotton and add some washclothes with it??

We would also love to see your RR when it is done!!

Well, I think every little girl needs a pretty dress. I've made this one before. Its fairly quick and easy.

http://www.bhg.com/crafts/knitting/kidswear/floral-dress/

And she'll need some little panties to go with it in the same colour!

http://www.lullabiesandlace.com/babybottombloomersbaby.html

But if you want to buy a patterns for a dress, you NEED to check out Crochet Garden. She has beautiful baby girl stuff.

How about a basket, crocheted using 5 or 6 strands held together and a size Q hook? Then, put some socks or baby wipes, or little toys (dollar store) in it.

Personally I think a soother keeper/tie line is a good thing. Nothing worse than trying to find that thing with your dear little one doing punk rock in your ear. :rofl

I always made them attached to the soother so they didn't get separated and to match the blankie or whatever the big gift might be.

Archived