Your ideal project tote

I'm trying to decide whether I want to make or buy a tote for carrying my projects around with me. I'm kind of wanting something small that I can carry around one ball of yarn, a hook, and scissors but I'm open to something bigger for traveling as well.

Since I'm still a relative crochet newbie I don't want to overlook some necessity only to find out after it's too late. So here's my question: If you have a tote what is it and what do you like/dislike about it? If you don't have one, what would you like to see in a tote?

What I use is a free tote bag that I got with a purchase from Estee Lauder.(love their lotion, and only buy it when its free gift time!). but I have seen small totes at Wal-Mart for less than $10. What I think would be great is a bae/tote with pockets. For the pattern, snips etc. I am thinking of doing one for a friend whoalso crochets, and if she likes it, I will do one for myself. Crochet of course!

Well, I have several things I use as totes...depends on how many projects I want to take with me...

I have several tote bags - some with outside pockets, some with inside pockets. (i have a tote bag/purse feddish) I find that the more pockets I have the more likely I am to not be as organized b/c I stuff things in there I don't really need, then "lose" them when I need them.

I also use the Longaberger med size boardwalk basket - its great for not so big projects and a couple skeins of yarn, my hook caddy, and a pattern book.

My favorite bag is made out of some kinda waterproof material with ladybugs all over it (i LOVE ladybugs) and it has an outside pocket that just fits a magazine or pattern book, and fits more than the med boardwalk basket, and has nice straps on it (not too short, not too long). but...it has velcro as the closure, and that gets caught in my yarn. I have to put something over it so I can use it more. I like the waterproof part of it b/c if I take it somewhere where it might be dirty or damp or whatever, it won't go through the bag.

I have all kinds of totes for projects.. some bought and some made and some freebies.

They each have their uses.

If I'm traveling a long ways.. I use a tote that has a zipper closure so that nothing can fall out.

I usually like a big floppy tote because not only can it hold the yarn, hook and scissors, it can hold the project as it grows.

Here's an idea for you.. I keep a pair of folding scissors on my keyring. I never loose my scissors that way and they are incredibly handy for all kinds of things, not just cutting yarn.

The next project tote I'm going to make (after the tunisian class.. or maybe simultaneously.. I'm bad that way) is the felted crochet tote in the current issue of crochetworld. you can see a picture of it here: http://www.crochet-world.com/content_detail.html?_id=126

I've got 2 bags that I use most of the time. One of them has two pocket inside that zip & I use those to keep track of safety pins, crochet hooks, etc. It doesn't zip on top to keep my project inside, so I have to be careful with some projects since they might spill outside. The other bag zips & has no inside pockets. It does have bulky outside pockets that I can use to put odds/ends in.

Both serve their purpose & part of it depends on the mood I'm in when I pick one out to carry!

I say, make it, it will mean more to you. Look in the purse/bag pattern section over at CPC I am sure you would find something you would love, and I bet you have yarn sitting around wanting to be made into a tote, I am sure of it.

Hugs

JoAnn

I like using dollar store zippered shopping bags for projects that are reasonably portable. You'd probably want to throw something like a pencil or makeup case inside to put your small items like hooks, stitch markers, and scissors in.

If I'm taking a small motif one-color piece, I'll just use a yarntainer .

For travel, I have a nice zippered bag on wheels (similar to luggage) that I got at Joanns.

For larger totes, and to store smaller WIPs I use those plastic zippered bags you get when you buy curtains or bed ruffles, & sometimes pillow cases come in them. The big blanket/comforter ones are great for storing yarn stash - you can see through it, stuff it under something & keep the dust bunnies out!!

Thanks for the ideas so far. If I make something it'll most likely be sewn because I've been sewing for 20 years and only crocheting for a few months. I also worry about small hooks and stitch markers getting caught in the yarn. So far I'm thinking a tote with a flat pocket on the back for patterns, a pocket on the inside for notions and maybe a flap with hook holders that can flip out of the bag when in use and then be tucked back in to keep them safe. I don't really like sewing on zippers so I'm thinking either a flap or magnetic closure to keep stuff in. I'd like to do something to make it easier for the yarn to feed out of the bag but I'm not sure what. Maybe a d ring on a nylon strap inside the bag? Then I could just toss it all in on top and not worry about the yarn and my project getting tangled.

I'm not sure I'm prepared to spend $80 on a bag but this one seems pretty neat: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0660

couldn't you put a drawstring lining in your sewn tote?? I saw this somewhere and it was nice, b/c you could actually expand the height of your tote if needed. And the drawstring would keep your yarn in place, and even give you a small hole to pull the yarn through...

couldn't you put a drawstring lining in your sewn tote?? I saw this somewhere and it was nice, b/c you could actually expand the height of your tote if needed. And the drawstring would keep your yarn in place, and even give you a small hole to pull the yarn through...

That's a really cool idea! Although, I was thinking more of a rectangular tote and that would work better for round, but that'd be perfect for a one-color project where you could just throw one ball in and go. Hmm, maybe I'll have to make two totes. :D

I've seen rectangular and square bags that have a drawstring top in them...the outside looks like a normal tote, but the inside has the "liner" that is taller than the actual tote, and has a drawstring closure - has rivets or "eyelets" that the cording goes through. I'll see if I can find a picture and post it....

I have a Liz Claiborne tote from the ST. Jude's HOPE catalog. (stjudes.org/shop)

The catalog is having a post Christmas sale now. I like it because it is a nice size, not too big, has some pockets on the outside and a zipper pocket on the inside.

It is black so it doesn't look 'dirty' after three years of usage.

It also goes on the plane as a "purse".

The bottom right corner purse on the cover is the one I am making as a medium sized tote. All I need to do to finish is line it and make the wood handles:

Purses & More To Crochet (L.A.)

I made it out of the suede yarn but found it difficult to work with in some areas. It sure feels good though.

I've seen rectangular and square bags that have a drawstring top in them...the outside looks like a normal tote, but the inside has the "liner" that is taller than the actual tote, and has a drawstring closure - has rivets or "eyelets" that the cording goes through. I'll see if I can find a picture and post it....

I think something like this would be cool to make for a project bag not a bingo bag:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37674&highlight=bingo

Hey Wiste,

As an experienced sewer, I bet you could replicate that swift knitting bag for far less than $80. In fact, as an experienced sewer myself, I'm thinking about making something like that for my projects.

Good luck, keep us posted on what you come up with!

-B

I rarely take my work anywere anymore but I do have a large canvas bag nothing fancy just one of those bags given out at confrences, it has two small pockets inside. I use it when I am working on big projects like clothing and afghans.

I also have a folding knitting bag (found at a yard sale) that I can keep next to the couch or by my bed. It's nice for small projects.:hook

speaking of expensive purchased bags.. this is on my dream list.

I have to have this!!!!

I'm trying to decide whether I want to make or buy a tote for carrying my projects around with me. I'm kind of wanting something small that I can carry around one ball of yarn, a hook, and scissors but I'm open to something bigger for traveling as well.

Since I'm still a relative crochet newbie I don't want to overlook some necessity only to find out after it's too late. So here's my question: If you have a tote what is it and what do you like/dislike about it? If you don't have one, what would you like to see in a tote?

Have you seen those skein holders? Basically they are a clear plastic container with a handle and a hole in the top of the lid so you have pull the yarn out without taking the ball out of the container. If you are using smaller skeins you can also fit your other essentials in it.

Archived