Going to the Hospital...?

Hello everyone! I am looking for ideas of a little something to take when visiting folks in the hospital. Instead of flowers (which are so expensive) or a book they may not like, I thought something hand crocheted would have more meaning. I've looked at some flowers or ami's and thought that might be OK. I'd like something easy and fast to do up that is fairly generic since I don't know everyone I visit very well. Then I thought about all you knowledgable ladies on this board and just know you're already doing this. So, I hope you're willing to share what you make for folks you visit. Thank you so much for your input! :hug

Patty

Hi Patty

Here is a link to a great pattern for a lapghan...those in the hospital appreciate specially when they are sitting in a chair...use acrylic yarn for easy washing......the pattern works up very fast....

http://www.crochetme.com/patterns/easy-lapghan

also

here is a cosmetic case you can make and then fill with small soaps, and travel size items of talc, travel toothbrush etc....

http://www.geocities.com/safiya_ali/patterns/Cosmeticpattern.html

I would recommend bookmarks or lapghans - something that's not likely to get left behind. On one of my grandfather's extended hospital stays, I had made him a dreamcatcher to hang near his bed. When they moved him to a different room, it got left behind - he forgot about it, my grandma wasn't there when they moved him, and the nurses obviously didn't catch it. By the time anyone remembered it and they went back to the old room to check, it was long gone. :( Odds are someone won't forget their book or a small blanket they have with them on their bed, but something that's hanging up or sitting on the table might get accidentally left behind. Just my thoughts. :)

Well all my ideas were used up, how about a pocket tissue cover, they are fairly fast, and you could put in the tissues as they are cheep, there are beautiful free patterns out there also, easy, fast and every gal I know loves them. thank you for your kindness may God bless you tenfold.

My comments are from someone who spends several weeks in the hospital every year. I always minimize what I have with me to make it easier to keep track of, not to mention how easily things 'walk away' when I'm out of the room for tests, etc.

Headbands/hair ties/caps make it easy to deal with yucky hair from not being able to shower, and/or surgery.

Fingerless gloves/mittens that are a touch oversized are good not only for chills but to prevent yanking on IV locks.

A bookmark inside a magazine is excellent. Books NEVER get read in-patient because I can't concentrate that long between the meds and constant interruptions (vitals, doctors, tests, etc).

Lapghans--always nice and comfy and a change from drab gowns and bedsheets.

I'd go against slippers and socks in-patient because of fall/slip risks. Every hospital I've ever stayed at provides non-slip socks. It would be awful for someone to get stuck in longer for a fall.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all of you for your great ideas! I definitely have some new projects to try out and that is very exciting. I know they will be wonderful to take to the hospital and those who receive them will be thankful for you sharing your ideas, too. Have a blessed Christmas!:wreath

Patty

I like the idea of flowers or plants. You could crochet some small flowers, even yo-yos with a button sewn in the center, and plant them in a small purchased terracotta pot stuffed with some of that green foam in the bottom. You can use pipe cleaners or floral wire for the stems. You can even crochet a little pot or teacup and plant the flowers in that. Also I recently came across a link to crochet a bonsai tree. A lot of people like flowers, but could be allergic to them and also they die. These flowers and plants need no watering and will not die.

I made my parents lip balm cozies to pass out to all the nurses and techs that have taken care of them threw out the year. I also attached a key ring and put chap stick in each of them. My parents drink alot of ice tea and saved all the bottles, filled them with candy and used the cozies instead of a bow.

I made a rice bag for my sil when she was going through cancer surgery. She loved it. You can sew one just of flannel and fill it with rice. It can be heated in the microwave or frozen in the freezer.

You can't use them in the hospital, but when you get home, they are wonderful.

Someone here made a beautiful crocheted cover for a flax seed bag. It was very nice.

I have made bookmarks, sleeping socks, and a shawl for my friends when they are in the hospital. It's nice to get something from the heart.

:manyheart

My dad is in the hospital now, and before he went I made him slippers. There are some easy patterns on CPC that can work for men and women and that don't take too long to make.

I also like the idea of a little cover or a "pouch" for lip balm - thats the first thing my dad asked for after surgery.

Archived