Aran Sampler Tote and matching wallet

Cocoa Cream

I just finished lining these Christmas gifts for my MIL. The Aran Samply Tote pattern can be found here. I improvised the design for the wallet using some of the same stitches from the tote, only on a smaller scale. I used some old yarn that was given to me, Caron One Pound Plus in off white. The lining material was from my fabric stash, and just happened to add a nice homey contrast to the neutral yarn.

th_arantote9.jpg th_arantote8.jpg th_arantote10.jpg

th_aranwallet6.jpg th_aranwallet7.jpg

I made some substantial modifications to the tote pattern: widened the gusset by 2 stitches, so I didn’t use the decorative lsc as suggested. Then I shortened the top edging to 4 rows of sc and 1 row bpsc. I didn’t understand if the straps were supposed to be added from the outside or inside, so I went with the inside since it looked better with the short top edging. I had to adapt the lsc repetitions since I made the gusset wider. I left off the rings and beads, mainly because I didn’t have any beads, so when I crocheted the strap, I just did it all in one piece, slipstitching it to the opposite side of the gusset. I also added a tab and a button for closure.

I love this! It almost looks like it's knitted... :) Offcourse I like crochet better than knitting (since I don't knit.. :P), but I think the cableknitting looks so good.. And this look like something like that! Yeah.. Just me trying to say that it's beautiful, but as always I babbel. ;)

How did you line it?

A long time ago I posted a little tutorial on my blog about how to line an Eight Pocket Tote. I pretty much did the same thing with this one, only I didn't line the straps. I sew quite a bit, so lining a bag is usually no big deal for me...but I know alot of people don't like doing it. I felt it was necessary with this pattern because some of the cable stitches created larger than usual spaces/holes in the body of the bag.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived