Which type of hooks do you prefer?

I like the Bates hooks, too. The Boye always seems to split my yarn--the head is too rounded, I think. The SB hooks tend a little flatter. My small steel doily hooks are actually my grandmother's Lee Wards, and they work great.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After trying all of the standard hooks available at Michael's, etc. I then tried Clover Soft Touch hooks. I own the complete set even the steel hooks for thread. These are the only hooks for me. The comfort handles make crocheting a joy for hands! They are worth the extra money!

~ Lori

I also have a full set of TOTCs (which I love), Brittany's (also love), bamboo and a Clover Soft Touch (not wild about), but I always pick up my Susan Bates first for some reason. Maybe it's habit, what I'm used to, I don't know but a majority of my crocheting is done with Susan Bates including my thread projects.

If you contact Wrights, they were replacing broken Crystalite hooks. I don't know if they still are but it's worth a try.

My favorites are my INOX set hat have handles and my Caron hooks which are a coated aluminum.

I cannot believe I gave you the wrong manufacturer for Crystalite hooks:eek . My only excuse is that I have been researching the Boye company, the correct contact is

CONSUMER SERVICES

Coats & Clark

Consumer Services

P.O. Box 12229

Greenville, SC 29612-0229

(800) 648-1479

If you have had problems with Bates hooks including crystalites breaking, let them know so they can fix the problems.

Again, sorry for the mistake.:blush

I jsut got my first TOTC hook on Saturday, threw my Lion hook aside and will never look back! Oh my gosh, what a difference! With the Lion (plastic) I was holding the hook way up by the tip so I could pry it into the yarn and my hands got fatigued very fast! With the TOTC, I can hold it at the back of the hook (where you're supposed to!) and crochet like a dream! It's fast and easy and I could crochet FOREVER! My only problem is that I started it mid-stream in a project and now I don't crochet as tight so it's a bit looser than the first few rows......no big deal to me. Well, not enough to start over, anyway.....I AM a bit of a perfectionist, but I'll let this one slide. LOL

I do like a tighter stitch so I may use a smaller hooks when I use TOTC -- I'm ordering 4 more today!! :)

I was wondering where I can find the Clover Soft Touch hooks for thread. Do they come in the full range of sizes? Would like to try them, But want the thread hooks not yarn hooks. :hook

• 2 weeks later...

Cristin, it's really a personal thing, I think, what material or brand a person prefers. Rather than recommendations, it's probably better just to get a list of what is available and TRY different hooks to see what you like.

My personal favorite is exactly what you hate: aluminum (Boye). I crochet loosely (nearly always have to go down a size to get gauge). I absolutely adore the Moez wooden hooks, but of course, those are specialty (very large afghan stitch hooks). For very small hooks, I really prefer bone-but I don't see those available anymore and my single D hook snapped one day. On the plus side, I haven't had a single pattern requiring anything smaller than a G in a long time!

Stephanie

Stephanie

Thanks for responding. I did do that exact thing.....just tried a few.

I have since fallen in love with TOTC hooks. I have 6 now. I crochet really tight and with the TOTC hooks, my stitch is a little looser (I think because I can hold the hook down lower because I'm not FORCING the hook into the yarn like I did with a blunt tip) and my hand doesn't fatigue as quickly.

I still prefer plastic for some things. Dishclothes, for example, I want them tight and therefore have just been using a plastic G hook.

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

I discovered bamboo needles, they are the best! I switched over all my knitting needles, and now my crochet hooks are also going to be changed to bamboo. It is just so comfortable and light. Not to mention: with metal hooks I get sweaty hands, not so with bamboo :)

I've always used Boye aluminum needles, it's what I was taught on and what I've become very used to over the years. :)

I've heard Bates are good. But I have a set of Bates knitting needles that have me timid about buying corchet needles in that brand. They feel nice and smooth in my hands but they're much slicker then I'm used to, the yarn just flies off the needles when I look away, I swear! hahaha

I've recently picked up a couple of plastic needles (sizes F and K) (it's all Hancock Fabrics carries since 9/11 or so said the lady behind the counter). And I pretty much hate them, LOL. They're Lion Brand needles and they just feel so cheap like they're going to snap right away and the yarn catches on the raised print like nobodies business. I tried sanding it down but I had to go so far it's now got indents on both sides. It was worth a shot... and I'll use them until they break. They list "flexible" as one of the features of the plastic needles but it just weirds me out, heh.

I tend to lose half my needles every few years so I don't think I'm ready to invest in those gorgeous carved handle needles, heh. But... I was thinking to ask for one in my favorite size from the hubby for my upcoming B-day though. :D

Not to mention: with metal hooks I get sweaty hands, not so with bamboo

Hmmmm now is this because the wood is absorbing the sweat? And such a case does that weaken the wood? Or cause mildew? Or splintering? I've never used wooden needles so I'm very curious. :D

I've recently gotten some Boye needles with the "satin" finish and they feel really very odd to me right outta the package, at least for the first half a dozen uses. I'm used to the matte finish needles. Albeit I do like the look of the uber shiney ones, heh.

I love the metal hooks --alum & steel ! When it's hot & sticky, I use baby powder on my hands. When my hands are too dry, I use a dab of hand lotion. I do NOT like those new matte finish hooks, tho. And I HATE plastic & wood ! YECHHHHH !

Maybe it's just the Boye colored aluminum hooks I don't like? They are honestly the only alum I have tried. Maybe the "color" makes them squeak??

Just an afterthought..............

LOL...I thought I was the only person in the world that could make a crochet hook "squeak"!! So glad to know I'm not!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here tried the Addi Turbo crochet hooks? I saw some online.. and have been dying to try them because I just love :manyheart their circular needles! I am assuming they would be of excellent quality as well..

I never posted on this thread the last time it was going strong, but I read it and thought to myself, "Well, I like the Boye hooks, I've never felt the need to try Bates." Boy, was I wrong! I always had problems with LB Microspun and Caron Simply Soft, and when I got a Bates hook on clearance for $1, I discovered that the yarn never split on it. I know it's a matter of personal preference, and I still don't have a problem with the Boye hooks, but if you find a sale, I say try both types! You might be surprised, and at least you'll know you've got the right hooks for you.

And Aziandoll, I've wondered about the Addi Turbo crochet hooks, too, since the circs are *amazing.* But I've got not idea. Sorry!

I know you say that you don't like aluminum hooks and that you crochet tightly. Have you considered practicing hooking more loosely? You can give yourself all sorts of wrist and hand problems, over time, from very tight hooking or knitting. It took me roughly 3 weeks to teach my hands to knit continental style. I would expect it to take roughly the same amount of time to teach your hands not to crochet so tightly. You'll enjoy it more also and have less problems matching gauge in patterns.

In answer to your question, I really prefer Boye hooks (yeppers, aluminum). I have used Bates and find I prefer the more blunt edge. I have not yet tried the Lion hooks although I planned to buy one for my airplane trip (which was to go to Dallas and Houston in October, but now isn't looking so good) as an excuse to try it. I am really liking my Tunisian wooden hook (Moez) too-I'm finally getting that afghan stitch EVEN! Again, it's more the hook than the material--I like the blunt.

Stephanie

Has anyone here tried the Addi Turbo crochet hooks? I saw some online.. and have been dying to try them because I just love :manyheart their circular needles! I am assuming they would be of excellent quality as well..

My mother started buying them for me since they are better for your hands than the Boye's and Bates hooks I had, and my mother loved her Addie knitting needles. I LOVE :manyheart the Addie hooks. I had been holding my Boyes hooks to high up, and it took me a little while to get used to holding the Addie so that I wasn't holding onto the metal, but worth the effort to learn. They have saved my wrist. So now, I use either Clover Soft Touch or Addie hooks. .. But one thing to watch, the Addie hooks use European sizings not American which isn't a big deal exepct for a few hooks aren't exactly the same size.

If you can afford the Addies, I highly recomend them. But shop around, thier price can very greatly depending on where you are shopping.

I know you say that you don't like aluminum hooks and that you crochet tightly. Have you considered practicing hooking more loosely?

I am a tight crocheter. I always have been... Tried for years to overcome it. Never could. I've just learned how to mod the patterns 'cause I stand no chance of makeing gague. But, then again my mom is a tight knitter so...

Though, one thing I found out, I do work looser on wooden hooks than on metal hooks. I recived as a gift a wooden hook. I had never used one before. ( I was afraid I would snap them becuase I work so tight. ) So I started paying with the wooden hook... Just to see what it felt like.... And, I noticed that I seemed to be working looser than I normally do. I'm still not sure if I like the wooden hooks 'cause the one I've got has a funny point on the hook.. BUt, that's only an issue with this brand. I can't say if that change in gague will hold since I've only done little trail swatches, and not a whole project.... It could just be that I was crocheting differntly because I was "just playing around".... .

I like Susan Bates regular metal hooks...I have worn off the paint on a few..haha I like Susan Bates plastic hooks when I crochet with plastic grocery bags. The plastic hooks seem to warm up with the plastic so that it's not as hard to work with.

If you haven't seen my plastic purses made from grocery bags...here's the link again...they turn out different every time. You have plenty of free material...look at the grocery stores at the recycled bag area...:hook

http://photos.yahoo.com/yetieddy

I have always used Susan Bates, aluminum and steel, but I recently got a set of 6 TOTC's that I can't wait to try out! I am in the middle of several projects and don't want to change mid-stream because I think TOTC's are closer to Boye sizes on most if I read Bill's chart correctly. They are almost to beautiful to use, but I can't wait to try them out! For now, I am loving just looking at them!

Laurie:hook

Archived