Which type of hooks do you prefer?

I'm just getting back to crochet.

I found that I don't like the feel of an aluminum hook (and I crochet tight so the hook *squeaks* when it goes through the yarn -- drives me crazy! Causes me stress!) So I picked up some Lion Brand plastic hooks. I'm noticing that the "nose" of the hook is too blunt. I really have to pry the hook through the stitch. I just ordered a couple wooden ones online: one for my step-mom and one for myself. Anxious to try it!!

So, I'm wondering: What brand or mat'l hook do you all recommend? (Besides aluminum: I really despise them.)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Susan Bates plastic (luxite) ones.

Metal ones, in general, are too slippery for me, and I really can't stand the knobby heads on the Wrights.

Maybe it's just the Boye colored aluminum hooks I don't like? They are honestly the only alum I have tried. Maybe the "color" makes them squeak??

Just an afterthought..............

Do Susan Bates have a sharper nose on them? I was looking online for a close up of the nose -- cant' tell if it's sharp or blunt. Guess I'll have to browse at LYS.

Thanks Suebee!!

Maybe I am insane...but I like the steel hooks best....but I have recently started using plastic - Susan Bates and Coats & Clark and find them just as easy to work with....the only problem with the plastic hooks I have is that sometimes the tips are not smooth and they the yarn I am working with gets some nice pulls in it....what I do it sand the bits of plastic smooth with some very fine sand paper ....and it no longer pulls my yarn.

I have recently tried the cushion hooks ... I think the brand is clover...and they are really nice! But expensive!

I don't really have a preference between Boye and Bates style hooks or between aluminum or plastic (though in certain sizes, I tend to have a favorite hook--my favorite J hook is an aluminum Boye). I mostly only notice squeaking when I'm using my Crystallites hooks with acrylic yarn--I like those Crystallite hooks, esp since the ones I have are in hard-to-find sizes, but they can be really squeaky!

I have one wooden hook from TOTC, and it is wonderful, definitely nicer than either aluminum or plastic. If I had the money, I'd get a set of them. (Maybe someday :) )

I've found that Boye hooks have 2 different finishes. Smooth and "Matte". I crochet tight, too, and I can't stand it when I accidentally get one of the not-so-smooth ones. Perhaps that is part of the problem?

I adore Ozarktwist hooks on Ebay. They have a point, like Boye, and slide very easily - no matter how tight I crochet.

I don't like plastic, don't like the way they feel (though I have to use them for my p and q hook projects). I have tons of both boye and bates and in prefer, no question, my bates hooks.

I'd like to try the ones with the cushion grip on them and I would love to try a TOTC or ozarktwists wooden hook someday!! I've heard so many wonderful things about wood I can't wait for "someday" lol.

alright, ladies -- who is TOTC?

Oh, you mean Bill at Turn Of The Century?!!?!?!?

THAT'S who I ordered from! :cheer

I'm already eying up a few more!! But I think I'll wait until I actually use one.

I prefer the Susan Bates Quicksilver. No squeaking, and they are not round on the end. They have a bit of a wedge, which makes them move throught the yarn like butter.

I prefer Bates aluminum or Brittany wooden hooks. I really don't like the Boye hooks at all. So much so, that even though I have a complete set of Boye thread hooks, I'm planning on replacing them with the Bates. I'm hoping to get a full set of Brittany hooks someday, too.

I'm with you, Renee! In fact, I'm selling all of my Boye hooks at the High School garage sale next month. That's why I'm shopping for different ones..... :)

This is info I got online:

Silvalume is durable aluminum that's polished for extra smoothness.

Quicksilver Crochet Hooks are made from a special heat-treated aluminum alloy to provide strength and durability, while remaining lightweight for comfortable stitching. Crocheted stitches slide effortlessly on and off the smooth glass-like finish of Quicksilver Hooks, making crocheting easier and more enjoyable than ever before

Silvalume comes in colors, which is nice, but I think they are a bit heavier than the Quicksilver.

Quicksilver are very smooth, too, but not glassy smooth like the Silvalume. I just love the way feel in my hand. Also, because they are not painted or coated, they never look "used".

hmmm, NOW I see! thanks for the info!!!!!

I'm gonna have to go check out Quicksilver. Sounds more like what I'm looking for.

I'm a Bates person myself. Treated myself to a full set of the Crystalites last fall. I ended up breaking every one of those under the "L" size. I think I hold my hook too tight. They all snapped just above the flat area.

I use Susan Sates also. I bought a set of sivalume on e-bay. Good price for six hooks. I gave a set of these to the teacher I assist since she was having trouble like you. She is "HOOKED' like I am..the yarn doesn't get stuck on the tip:cheer

I'm a Bates person myself. Treated myself to a full set of the Crystalites last fall. I ended up breaking every one of those under the "L" size. I think I hold my hook too tight. They all snapped just above the flat area.

If you contact Wrights, they were replacing broken Crystalite hooks. I don't know if they still are but it's worth a try.

My favorites are my INOX set hat have handles and my Caron hooks which are a coated aluminum.

I broke a few of the Crystalites too. That was the first set I bought when I started crocheting again. Replaced those with Boye & was satisfied until I tried Susan Bates. I llove SB hooks! I haven't tried wooden hooks yet but hope to soon.

I like the Susan Bates plastic (luxite) ones.

Metal ones, in general, are too slippery for me, and I really can't stand the knobby heads on the Wrights.

And I'm just the opposite. I prefer the aluminium ones because they aren't as lightweight as the lucite ones (but not heavy either) & the thread slides better thru them. I prefer Susan Bates as their tips & hooks seem to work easier with thread and are better defined without the tips being too pointy or too blunt and the hook part being just deep enough without being too deep or too shallow. Hope this makes sense.

Archived