Which type of hooks do you prefer?

OK, I have to post again because when I posted before on this, I hadn't tried many types of hooks. I've now tried Boye, Bates silvalume, and bamboo. I didn't like the bamboo much, which was surprising because I love bamboo knitting needles. The Bates silvalumes were nice, but I didn't notice much difference between them and other aluminum hooks. I keep going back to Boye for aluminum, and I LOVE their Balene plastic hooks, esp. for bigger hooks.

For Tunisian, I like the Boye I size afghan hook that came with the I Taught Myself to Crochet kit best. The plastic Easy Tunisian hooks are nice, but they only come in large sizes. So for smaller ones, I use Boye or Bates, it's all good.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a complete convert to wooden hooks. Like many of us, I have rheumatoid arthritis. The metal hooks make my hands hurt after only a few stitches. And I don't much like the feel of plastic in anything. I've gotten wooden hooks from a variety of places, but my absolute favorites I got from http://www.brainsbarn.com. I've purchased stuff they had already done, as well as a couple of custom orders. They're more expensive than the mass marketed ones, but worth it for the pain relief and pleasure of using.

cheers - tbird

I am a complete convert to wooden hooks. Like many of us, I have rheumatoid arthritis. The metal hooks make my hands hurt after only a few stitches. And I don't much like the feel of plastic in anything. I've gotten wooden hooks from a variety of places, but my absolute favorites I got from http://www.brainsbarn.com. I've purchased stuff they had already done, as well as a couple of custom orders. They're more expensive than the mass marketed ones, but worth it for the pain relief and pleasure of using.

cheers - tbird

Hey tbird,

I'm curious... I have RA, so I was wondering what is it about the wooden hooks that make them more comfortable to use (I don't have any)? Is it that they heat up less than the aluminum ones? Or is it because they have more contouring to the handles?

Archived