Which type of hooks do you prefer?

I like a very flexible hook, I bought some Balene II needles, a set of them, a few months ago. Now I don't want to use anything else. I have used metal and tried the crystal lites, I finally had to use sandpaper and smooth down the crystal lites they are better but still stiff, I must hold my needles very tightly I used those cushion thingys on the metal ones, to make it a little better. But since I found the Balene kind I won't use anything else!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I perfer Bates over Boye. I like Bates heads and the aluminum is smooth. I've never tryed wooden, plastic or bamboo. But after reading this thread I will be adventuring out.:D:yes

Aluminum is my favorite, although wood comes in a close second.

I've never tried Susan Bates. How is an inline head different? Does it ease strain? (My recurring tendonitis is acting up)

I like the Susan Bates aluminum ones...the flat head is easier for me. I can crochet fast than with the rounder head one.

Linda

It's Bates for me, too. I like the in-line head on them (I think I just got used to them when I learned and so they worked better for me) but I'm interested in trying out wooden ones with this same style hook on them. Are there some brands/types that are wooden but resemble the Bates style?

As far as there not being a size "O" hook, I wonder if that size was skipped to prevent confusion with the number zero? Although that wouldn't explain why there are size "I" hooks, would it? Well, it was a good theory while it lasted!:P

• 2 weeks later...

I've only used the aluminum so far but the base of the palm of my hand is getting sore. It seems I 'push' the hook through that way. I think I need to find a soft, rounded handled one. Any suggestions? So far the wooden ones I've seen seem to have fancy ridges or points at the end and that would be uncomfortable.

So far I've only used Boye aluminum hooks and the Crystalite plastic ones. I didn't like the plastic ones at all--too much friction, yarn won't slide easily. The same goes for their knitting needles. Too bad because I like the color and I think they'd be durable. I've tried bamboo knitting needles, which I love, so I'll probably try some bamboo hooks as well. No complaints with the Boye aluminum, but I might also try Susan Bates since many here are raving about them. As if Joann doesn't already get enough of my money!! :hook

I just resently purchased:yay two wooden hooks form TOTC and they are devine. I will most likely end up getting all the sizes available. I :manyheart love the way the wood feels.:c9

Lola

I'm a dedicated alumn Bates girl. The Chrystalines, and plastic hookes in general, frustrate me (I rub them down with waxed paper to make them work smoother). And don't get me started with Boyes. I tried Clover's bamboos once - and about threw the thing out I was so frustrated with it.

I haven't tried the Clover cushioned hooks. I want to test drive a hook before I pay that much for it.

I would love to try the Turn of the Century rosewood hooks but lack of funds means that as a newbie crocheter, I'm spending out instead on a selection of cheaper hooks, to get a feel for different materials and brands. I'm trying rosewood knitting needles today for the first time, and ooooooooh, the way the yarn glides over them is very pleasurable! So I've bought a Lacis rosewood hook on eBay to try. Has anyone tried this brand?

A friend bought me a couple of Surina wooden hooks, which are made in India, and they have a nice pointy head/nose/tip (whatever the correct term is!) - useful for burrowing into my too-tight chain stitches ...

Forgot to add that the one hook I really dislike the feel of is a 5mm one that I picked up in desperation at my LYS. It's grey and appears to be aluminium, but I think it's coated in something horrible, because it gives a yucky ceramic sort of squeak against the yarn. It's marked "5MM" on one side and simply "A.M" on the other ... I've no idea what brand this is. Don't know if anyone else has an idea, but I've since bought one of Prym's new 5mm acrylic hooks and in future will be avoiding the "A.M" variety at all costs!!

When I taught myself to crochet, the only hooks I could find were the Boye hooks, so I used them and disliked them the whole time; the way theyget very thin right after the shaft and before the hook made it difficult to keep my stitches from being too tight. I discover Susan Bates hooks and crocheting became so much more enjoyable. I promptyly disgarded all the Boye hooks and replaced them w/Susan Bates. I had a least 3 complete sets. In the past year, though, I have discovered my favorite hook: Brittany Hooks: they put me in crochet Nirvana. I love the feel, warm never cold, the nice straight shaft and they very pretty ,too. I like them so much, that I bought a set for my best friend for her birthday. I keep the Bates hooks around,though. that way, when someone wants to try crocheting, I let them use one of my Bates hooks..

I just bought three Brittany hooks which I love and a Susan Bates Quicksilver which feels great, too. Now I'll have trouble using my cheaper hooks!

And I still go back ( ASAP ) to my aluminum hooks and needles; and my steel hooks for threads. Some people dislike the "click" of metal knitting needles; but to me, it's comforting.....

ALUMINUM RULES !!! :cheer :cheer :cheer

Squeaky ? :( POWDER it ! Baby powder, cornstarch, anything , will help; part of the squaky problem is too tight stitches, and using acrylic yarns.

Slippery hooks ? :think I use just a dab of hand lotion on my palms...Neutrogena works best, but I do carry a small tube of Avon stuff in my "traveling" bag.

:cat :cat :cat :cat :cat

I've found that Boye hooks have 2 different finishes. Smooth and "Matte".

I love the metal hooks, but their new Matte Finish, doesn't cut it with me; I took those back and wrote the company with my opinions ! We don't want THOSE !! :eek

I prefer aluminum hooks, but it doesn't take much to make a hook difficult to use. Recently I couldn't find my F hook (was crammed way down in a skein of yarn), so I made an emergency trip to Walmart to get a new one, the same brand as the one I couldn't find. The head was just a little bigger than the other one, and it was almost impossible to use with Red Heart Soft Baby!!!! Who would have thought???? I was really happy to find my lost hook and get back to normal.

Lisa

I do not like Boye hooks at all; I love the "inline head" (I think that's what it's called) like Bates hooks and Crystalites. I have the Crystalites set L, M, N, and P. I haven't had any snagging or breakage, and I crochet VERY tightly with them. I also own a big PLASTIC Q hook (that I haven't used yet) BTW, how come there is no O hook????? The smallest Bates hook I own is a G... how small do they go? Is there A, B, C, D, E, and F???? What about bigger? R, S, T and so on......

Tina

I prefer a Bates hook as I have problems with Boye splitting my yarn. I have a Bates aluminum hook as small as "E" and have seen them as small as "B" with a classic Bates head. I also have a classic Bates silva-lume gaged as a steel "3". I have not seen or heard of anything larger than a "Q", but that is not to say that they do not exist in those sizes.

I can't say for certain but my guess is that aluminum hooks will work better with synthetic fibers where the plastic hooks would probably work better with the natural fibers. I would like to know if anyone has experimented with this theory. I tried cotton thread with my aluminum hook and found that it would drag terribly. It was a small project so I fought it out but I am interested to test my theory.

I just wanted to add my thoughts on Bamboo hooks. I just recieved a set I ordered for a very reasonable price off Ebay. So far, I absolutely love them. They are very lightweight and feel great in my hand. We'll have to see how they hold up to the test of time, but honestly, with the deal I got on them, if they snapped in half this afternoon, I wouldn't be upset.

I took a look at that TOTC site.....wow....I wonder if I convince Santa to love me enough fpr Christmas to get me a boxed set...lol.

Archived