Bed doll? Forgive my ignorance . . .

Bed dolls can be made with fashion dolls or some dolls actually referred to as bed dolls.

The regular bed doll types I've made use sport or worsted weight yarn, and just look really pretty on top of a guest bed to dress up the room a bit. They are also washable if needed.

Momo—that is so pretty!!!

Lady_of_Roses—thanks for the explanation!

I saw the dolls and have seen other dolls called bed dolls but they all looked like they were on a stand so the whole bed part confused me!!

Thanks ever so much!!

The 1st "bed doll" I ever saw (30+ yrs ago) had a no legs and there was a draw string under the skirt. You were supposed to put your nightie/pj's in it (A.K.A: pajama bags). I always thought they were "creepy", with only 1/2 a body. The new ones are whole and mostly decorative.

Ellie 13

What makes it a bed doll is the oversized skirt. It is meant to be displayed on a well made bed (which is why I don't have one in my house!!!!)

:rofl:rofl Im with ya on that one, but I am in the process of making one and the doll looks exactly like the one shown above in the purple :hook

What makes it a bed doll is the oversized skirt. It is meant to be displayed on a well made bed (which is why I don't have one in my house!!!!)

If i made one of those, my dogs would think it was a new toy for them and try to play with it. And they play rough:D

One of my sisters recently asked me if I'd seen any patterns for bed dolls from the 80's and earlier. They had half bodies, and coolwhip bowls underneath the skirts. If anyone knows how to do them, pm me.

Bed dolls can be made with fashion dolls or some dolls actually referred to as bed dolls.

The regular bed doll types I've made use sport or worsted weight yarn, and just look really pretty on top of a guest bed to dress up the room a bit. They are also washable if needed.

This is one I made last year, it's a doll that sits on the bed

DSC00305.jpg?t=1225914176

OMG What a beautiful doll!! Perfect colors and type of doll!! To all the ladies that have post here, "thank you" for all the info!! I was also confused about those "barbie" style dolls!!

The above doll is the type of bed doll that I love!!! Thank you Momo

waiting for tampa doll to chime in here! she is the queen of dolls. and she has rubbed off on someone else - hehehe - bed dolls don't necessarily have to be shown on a bed - lord only knows that they won't be shown that way at my house - rather i will have to find a shelf to display mine on. i am in the process of making one for a gift for my grandmother for xmas - only using a full size doll instead of the bed doll.

the bed dolls.com address does not work.

The bed dolls, can be whole, half, Barbie size, even air freshener dolls.

Most of the time they now have pillows under the skirt, but the basic thing is the skirt is to be large enough to spread when put on the bed.

Love the doll momo, she is just beautiful.:hook

Hi, I got the same question when I posted links for the 3 bed dolls or rather fashion doll bed dolls I have done which you can see post here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75028&highlight=bed+dolls

I just did a search and found this explanation which might explain a little too:)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/419535/collectible_dolls_of_the_1920s_the.html

momo, yours is great!, I have done some of those too, many years ago:)

Yvette

The 1st "bed doll" I ever saw (30+ yrs ago) had a no legs and there was a draw string under the skirt. You were supposed to put your nightie/pj's in it (A.K.A: pajama bags). I always thought they were "creepy", with only 1/2 a body. The new ones are whole and mostly decorative.

Ellie 13

I had two of those when I was little - one at home and one at Grandma's.

Goodness me! I was showing mom the fashion doll bed dolls on Annies Attic as I knew she always liked that sort. Well it turned out she had owned a couple of the patterns many years back. One of her sisters was supposed to make her one, but let's just say the pattern never came back and never will.

She was SO excited to find her two patterns again (on sale no less) and we ended up going through the bed dolls together and I placed an order for both of us and she'll pick up her part when they visit from Canada in a month.

Of course the real doozy to me is that she doesn't know how to crochet... (she knits circles around me though.) If she's ever going to get one of those dolls she loves the pictures of, it's going to be on my shoulders to eventually figure out how to work with thread and get it to gauge and make it!

I've made a monster for myself, but she's a happy one. :lol

I find them creepy, personally. I've seen a few in older relatives houses over the years but not often. *I* didn't understand the purpose of them. I never knew that some were made to hold pjs. That's interesting.

Oh, I'm so glad someone else said this! :lol I'm not much of a doll person at all - I loved Barbies and my soft Cabbage Patch dolls, but otherwise dolls tend to freak me out. (though one of my girlfriends has a couple of the lovely Asian ball-jointed dolls, and I'm just itching to make clothes and accessories for them, go figure!)

But yeah, bed dolls, the half-dolls like the one my grandma had crocheted into a toilet paper roll cover (the skirt of her dress covered the TP) and those super creepy disembodied doll faces - gah!

2 of my nieces don't like dolls (especially clowns). They think the plastic faces are creepy. But, they took old doll clothes from grammie's attic and dressed their teddy bears and other stuffed animals. My other nieces are into Barbie and American Girl dolls and not much into stuffed animals. Go figure :think.

Ellie 13

Archived