Eco Simply Soft

Real Deal

I bought some of this yarn but haven't used it yet. I haven't noticed any specks in it though. I am a big CSS lover though, so I really hope to like this yarn as it is the only SS avail at our local Walmart like everyone else. I'm curious....someone in the off topics thread mentioned having an allergic reaction to the eco yarn. Has anyone else had that problem?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it.

But none of the colors i have have had any lint.... I did see some with the lint.... kinda off putting, but silly me, I assumed it was SUPPOSED to be like that... :(

It seems like regular simply soft other than that... except none of the beautiful neon colors! :think Oh well... I do like it, but I miss the old simply soft.

I made myself an iPod carrier out of the forest floor and white... it turned out beautifully.

Last week I checked out a DVD from my county library that has step-by-step instructions for a nice "cropped cardigan" (shrug) in it and my daughter wants me to make her one; it looks as if it was made with CSS so the one I'd bought to make her a pineapple shawl will now go for this, so later on I'll have to go back for more...

I changed my mind about this yarn.! Pinkroses - LINK about the allergic reaction. I have not had any allergic reaction to this yarn.

The "lint" or "dust" is the plastic bottles recycled into the yarn. It is suppose to look that way.

I started a shawl then decided to do a hat and scarf set to see the wear and tear on the yarn. Finished the hat and scraf. 2 strands. No problems. Wore for about a week before it got warn enough I didn't need it and I was fine. The yarn was fine (and that's after tossing it in my car or room when not wearing it).

Someone somewhere else also mentioned washing this since it has plastic in it, I washed and dried my hat and scraf and it's fine. Didn't shrink or anything. In fact I think it's softer then before I washed it. As soft as the regular SS. I didn't add a softener to my wash (never do) but did use fabric softener sheets in the dyer (always do). And washed and dried it with other clothes, so it wasn't by itself or just crochet items.

Debbi

:eek I am feeling some concern about using this yarn now because I've had chemical sensitivities too (and don't know if the recipient of a shawl I wanted to make does...).

Generally healthy people should be fine, even if it's still probably not a good idea to use something that may have a chemical of doubtful safety in it. I posted in the other thread too and included a link for an article about toxic load in case anyone's interested.

I haven't taken a real close look at it, but I did notice extremely prominent flecks in many of the colors, and I'm not real keen on the colors - they're nice, but not what I would use/want. I'm also not too keen on paying more for a smaller skein (I know they raised the price of SS) Unfortunately, Walmart is the only "in person" source for yarn that I have if I don't want Patton's wool or a good price, and since I have little experience with yarn other than Caron SS and Red Heart SS, I don't know what I would get buying online. I guess RHSS is going to become my mainstay. :sigh

I used this yarn for a scarf. It worked up well and no flecks in it at all in the natural color I got but it felt funny to crochet it. Hard to explain but like it didn't have much give to it. It's not as soft as SS. I will wash it to see if that helps, it's for a gift. I didn't have an alergic reaction like some have reported. And I hope after washing it the person I give it doesn't either.

I used this yarn for a scarf. It worked up well and no flecks in it at all in the natural color I got but it felt funny to crochet it. Hard to explain but like it didn't have much give to it. It's not as soft as SS. I will wash it to see if that helps, it's for a gift. I didn't have an alergic reaction like some have reported. And I hope after washing it the person I give it doesn't either.

If you've regularly used SS and not much else, you will notice a difference. I found the original SS with very much give, in fact so flexible it didn't hold it's shape for me. My eco scarf and hat wasn't as soft until after I washed them, then they became as soft as SS, but they were soft, softer then RH that's for sure.

I wish there were more colors. Now my walmart has more RH colors then anything. Which is fine, I actually have used that more as I couldn't find a comparable yarn at a comparable price. I do like the Eco yarn though. Again, more colors I would choose it more often in the future.

I wanted to let everyone know that the pattern page has been updated at the Caron website! :hook

My Eco Throw is now available on the website in addition to the tear off sheets.

POPEco1Throw_00008_SMALL.jpg

There is an Aran Baby Blanket, Baby Jacket and Hat set (really cool texture on this one) and the Land & Sea Throw (ripple).

And, although this is knit, I can't resist letting you know that our Crochet Dude, Drew Emborsky, has a knit design in there as well called Man's Cabled Shawl Collar Sweater.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

I recently crocheted a blanket using a skein of the SS Eco yarn which is the brown above the green and found it easy to work with and soft. I agree it doesn't have the sheen of the Simply Soft, but I like the white flecks, which does not give the look of pilling.SS852279.jpg Take a look at Noro Cashmere Island, which is a high-end yarn, but just pointing out that it also has flecks, but I doubt anyone would say it looks like its pilling.SS852274.jpg

Nice blanket!

You point is good if that's a look one prefers but if not it won't matter which other yarns have it (at least not to me...) as we don't all buy the same types. Besides, we've been comparing the Eco to the regular CSS and in that context you might understand why some of us have been less than excited about it. I've gotten over most of my objections about it though and decided to give it a try but if I could have my way I'd rather that W-M still sold CSS too.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have worked through two skeins of Eco in Forest Floor, two in Black, and one in Wine Country and I didn't notice the white flecks. So I was really surprised to read that everyone was so disappointed. :( I did notice a lumpy cottony bit here and there but they were all the same color as the yarn. Some I picked out and some I just worked over. I noticed a slight difference in softness from SS and it does have a kind of slick feel to it (Wine Country more so than the others) but I still liked it. Maybe that's because I can't afford really nice yarns and just about anything is better than RH next to your skin, lol.

Here are some links to my blogs of projects I've done with Eco if you want to see the colors. I've still got three or four skeins left so I'll be watching for flecks. My Walmart is getting rid of yarn all together *tear* so I guess I will be making special (and less frequent) trips to JoAnn's from now on.

Longcat Scarf

Cable Scarf

Rebel Alliance Scarf

I noticed that all colors of the Echo SS looked like it was "pilled", maybe the nature of the blend, but every skein I examined looked the same way. Don't think I'll be using this yarn---a friend of mine tried it, she thought it was pilled and ended up cutting through her stitches in several places to get the "pill" out of her project:(

Yeah, I'm really laughing "out of experience". I've actually done similar things, like cut little holes on a couple of things I was sewing. I remember I did this to the sleeve of a dress I made myself :lol many years ago so I just grabbed the krazy glue and fixed it. Fortunately, the sleeve was sort of the puffy kind and the "patch" so tiny you couldn't see it. :whew

I actually like the newer simply soft better. Call me crazy but I don't think it splits near as bad as it use too and I haven't noticed the pilling at all. I'm actually buying more of it now than I was before.

Julee

• 3 weeks later...

It's amazing how different we all are. I actually like the heathered look of the specks in this yarn. I had been looking at the yarn on Caron's website and bought a skein the first time I saw it in the store. I chose the denim color specifically because it had specks - LOL!!

I only purchased one skein since I was uncertain how nice it would feel against the skin - so my test project will be a scarf.

boy I haven't seen any Eco like that around here in any of my stores. I have used a few skeins of it, I liked it for a beanie and scarf, but hated it for a pillow cover. I seems to stretch but not shrink. But I have had I think 4 or 5 different skeins from about 3 different stores and haven't seen any pilling. Sorry to you gals that did! I did like using it in a granny square I did a while back!

I finally saw this stuff tonight at Walmart. At first I thought they had piled up old yarn full of dust bunnies into the bins (not unlikely at our local Wally-World let me tell ya!) so I started looking through the colors for a "clean" skein...then caught sight of the label. Eco. I'd heard about this and thought it would be cool, but I'm totally disappointed and won't be wasting the money. I'd rather use RH or Caron SS.

Archived