Eco Simply Soft

Real Deal

I finally saw the Eco Simply Soft. Yuk. It IS full of lint. Most of the colors were anyway. What are we supposed to do? Crochet it in or stop every few inches and pick it out? The lint was white, and frankly, I would never buy this yarn. This did NOT look like flecked yarn ~ it looked like tiny little cotton balls interspersed all through the yarn.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not really lint. If you read the label it is made with recycled plastic. I used to work for National Spinning Company (now Caron). I emailed the Caron today & they quoted "The specks are the nature of the blend and show up more in some colors than others".

I am disappointed too! :ohdear Our Walmart has the Vanna yarn but it is a bit pricey for me - $4.97 for 7 ounces. I do not like Red Heart - too scratchy. I guess I will try the Caron Eco yarn and see how it does - I will pick out skeins that are not too speckling looking - at least they are $2.28 for 5 ounces.

Thank you for that explanation. Our Walmart finally go their shipment of the Eco yarn in as well as the Vanna yarn. I am in the middle of projects and have not purchased either yet, but will try each at least once. I agree with a fellow poster, the RH is too scratchy and will only use for bags and or purses, no afghans, scarves or pillows.

The only thing I can think of using that kinda of yarn for is grocery bags, or something of that sort....but even then Im thinking I'll have to use at least two stands together to make sure its thick enough. Its just different... and I think they still should carry SS =(

I tried the Black Eco and it didn't have any white pieces in it... not sure why. I noticed some did and thought they were fleck type yarns (I didn't look closely at them until later). The black was soft and seemed to work up fine for the small project I did.

I like RH and have used it for afghans. My friend has the one I made for her at christmas and she uses it all the time. I went by her house last month (and it was still hot) and she had it on her couch (of course she LOVES blankets and afghans and wants a king sized one for her bed... um... her other friend has offered to make it if she buys the yarn). I haven't found RH to be too hard or too rough or it washes up soft.

I haven't tried Vanna's because it's kind of expensive, but I do like the feel of it and may try one for a scraf or something small just to try it out.

So I'm glad my WM has several selections for me to choose from that I like.

Debbi

I saw it last week too and don't think I'll be using this either, only one color that I recall didn't seem to have that "lint" look. In any case, they should sell this for less since it's NOT the same as regular SS. Won't be too surprised to see it all on clearance next year...

Lady of Roses ~ pre-pilled is the perfect description!

The Caron Company says the specks are the nature of the blend. Uh-huh. So what they are putting together won't blend well.

That assures I will never want to use this yarn. Why are they making it? Surely someone must have some common sense over there.

I haven't seen this yet either but from what everyone has been saying about it, the reviews aren't good. I agree, the flecks and the pre-pilled look would make it seem like whatever they recycled to make the yarn didn't blend well. The proper thing to do would have been to go back to the drawing board and start again, not put junk on the shelves. They must have made some test skeins and such before production began. Didn't they know this is the way it was going to look? And if they did, didn't they test it out on a few people who knitted/crocheted to see what they said??? It doesn't look like much thought or planning went into this product.

I stopped in the craft section at Wal-Mart yesterday to check and see if they had the new big Vanna's Choice skeins (they did, hooray!) and to check out the Eco Simply Soft. Now, I've never worked with the original Simply Soft. Call me an oddball, I know so many people love it, but I think it feels slippery and weird so I've never bought any. I thought the new Eco Soft felt wonderfully soft! DH loved it too (he will pet soft yarns, LOL!). In the lighter colors I couldn't see any white specks at all, though there was a lot in the darker colors. I'd really be interested to know how it works up. If it wasn't for all the white fluff in the dark colors I think it could be a yarn I'd love otherwise.

I haven't seen the new yarn yet (it will probably take another week or so till we get it). But from what most people are saying, I'm not real excited. They had the price tags out for the Vanna yarn and it was over $5 a skein. Wow. They had better be big skeins. SS was my favorite of the acrylic yarns (that I've found so far), so the switch is really not making me happy especally because I like to use darker colors. :(

Yes, they might have been hurrying to get an eco yarn on the market, but I certainly am not going to use yarn that looks that linty on new projects that I put so much time, energy and love into.

The more I got thinking about it, the more I thought about the "plastic" part too. What exactly does this mean? Ground up bleach bottles? Toilet cleaner bottles? What? The more I thought about it, the more unsavory it became. Car oil bottles? Milk jugs? Industrial floor cleaner containers? I don't know. It makes me feel squeemy.

I'd like to know if the original Simply Soft is still available. I, too, purchased some of the Eco yarn (for a Christmas prayer shawl project) and find it is not as soft and luxurious as the Simply Soft yarn I've been used to using. My WalMart only carries the Simply Soft Eco. It is more pricey too because it is only 5 oz instead of the 7 oz the original Simply Soft came in for the same price.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I got a peek at it last night in my local Walmart. While there is white flecks in the yarn, I would certainly not call it "pills" or "pre-pilled". To me it looks like some of the more expensive yarns that are flecked with other colors. I have not bought any or made anything with it yet, so I can't comment on how it works up. As far as it being made with recycled plastic....I think that's great! In my opinion...there can't be a more plasticy (is that a word?) yarn out there than Red Heart SS....

To be honest I was thinking about this yarn last night and I began thinking about how they are either phasing out a lot of craft departments or even just eliminating them at the Walmarts. Being that many of us are really pessimistic (sp?) about the simply soft eco and a lot of us will probably not buy it, we may just end up with no yarn section at all at walmart. Now this is not going to drive me to buy it but wondering whether or not you guys think it will drive them to bring back SS or just take it as people don't want to buy yarn and just stop carrying yarn all together?

I was in Walmart tonight returning a few things and of course couldn't help but take a peek in the craft section. I did finally get to pet the Eco Simply Soft. My thoughts were that it's not as soft as the original Simply Soft (but very close) and it's a wee bit thicker (not an altogether bad thing). All the colors that were in stock had white fluff in them except for the black and a dark green. I didn't buy any. I can still get regular Simply Soft at other stores if I want it and really, I didn't need any yarn (though that's never stopped me before!). If they were giving away free samples I would have gotten some. :hook Oh well, I was not impressed. I would be picking off the white bits as I went along, making that yarn split even more than normal.

I finished the Pittsburgh Steelers afghan and need to post pictures. The black had no little balls of white. The yellow was full of them. I had to stop and pick them off as I was working. They seem to be the plastic they are using. The white also has them, but not as bad, but it split something fierce like it wasn't wrapped tight enough or something. I wasn't very thrilled working with this new stuff. I think they need to rework their formula or something.

Marcia

I finally got my first glimpse of the new eco yarn, YUCK, I don't like it, it looked dirty and had all the link looking flakes throughout. Hubby was like, what is wrong with that yarn. They have lost a customer to the point of I won't be buying the SS Eco. I am not going to waste my time trying to clean it up.

I finally got to see this yarn yesterday at Wallyworld. IMHO, it is horrible.:thumbdown

I cannot imagine using yarn that has white flecks throughout. It reminds me of tiny pieces of those plastic packing peanuts, spread throughout the yarn. What were they thinking:badidea...I have been recycling for years but do not want this junk in the yarn that I use to crochet things for my baby Granddaughter, or for anyone else either.

I hope they have not discontinued the original Simply Soft. Although I hate the splitting, I do love the colors and feel of it. Guess I'll have to order it by mail or wait for a sale at HL.

When I saw this at Wally it did not look like white flecks~it looked liked it was caked with dust. HATE IT! I know y'all say it has white flecks, but I still really do believe I was looking at dust~does plastic attract dust more that fiber? I would not wear a shawl that looked dusty or make one for anyone else.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Archived