Gift Ideas

I'm always trying to think of a DIY or homemade gift for family members. I think I'm making my parents (if I have time) lapghans this year. I have a pattern that looks like it'll work up in a weekend (if I have a season of tv on dvd to watch, that is)

What are some different things you'll be making this year? (Maybe it will help me think of more interesting things to make as well!)

For some odd reason, my mother hates (and never forgets to tell me this) crocheted washclothes or potholders. I'm not sure why but she refuses to use them and tells me anytime that I make one that they are pointless.:think Though I could give her a gag gift of a few. :devil

Lapghans are a good one. I've got a few planned for Birthdays coming up. I'm making kitchen sets for Christmas. And have done so in the past and they were well recieved.

I'm making scarves and hats for the younger women. And also wrist warmers and headbands.

For some odd reason, my mother hates (and never forgets to tell me this) crocheted washclothes or potholders. I'm not sure why but she refuses to use them and tells me anytime that I make one that they are pointless.:think

My mother is the same. No reason why she dislikes them, but comes right out and says " don't even bother making me any". So, I don't.

Place mats,coasters, doilies, hats/headbands, maybe a scarf and some slippers, a shawl, wrist warmers/gloves, a bag, bookmarks. Although some of these items are knitted.

I like to make and give things which can be used, and not just put on a shelf with some dustbunnies... I have always trouble with coming up with ideas for my dad. So if anyone has ideas for manly stuff, I would be happy to know tem :)

This year, I'm thinking of making snow people to represent the family members. Mama, Papa, and whatever number of kids. Maybe even add the cat or dog! This is something they can put out on a shelf or mantle to decorate over the holidays. Tree skirts is a nice idea too. I'm thinking more Xmas-y this year than all-round purpose uses.

I made towel toppers and bought a matching dishcloth and oven mitt to go with it! Everyone loved them! Some are hinting they would like one this year too! So I know what I am going to make for a few on my list this year!

Name Doilies are always a great hit in my family too!

Even regular doilies, runners and that kind of things!

Yes, It's that time of year to get started if you haven't already! I made my craft group (18) donut pin cushions, some cell phone cases, a bag in progress(8 pocket tote).

Donut Pincushion Pattern - Crochetville Forum

eyeglass case ( I just made the case a little shorter for a cell phone, 14 rows, G hook)

Eight-pocket Tote CAL - Crochetville Forum

For some odd reason, my mother hates (and never forgets to tell me this) crocheted washclothes or potholders. I'm not sure why but she refuses to use them and tells me anytime that I make one that they are pointless.:think Though I could give her a gag gift of a few.

Often it is because they have used one made of acrylic yarn. Acrylic yarn melts and gets thin and looks terrible very quick. You also get burned if you try to pick up something hot with it. Those pads have to be a cotton yarn and double thick to be safe!

You could make a shrug for your mom and a hat, scarf and mitten combo for your dad.

Although, lapghans are always good because you can wrap around cold shoulders or drape over ones legs.

I think the tote bag is a great idea. With the stores "going green" and trying to do away with plastic, you can crochet a large string bag to use for shopping. It takes very little space when stuffed into a purse. You can even use postal cord for this project. You could also make a large tote bag to use for shopping, also.

I got the yarn for their lapghans. I picked up a free pattern awhile ago that calls for the pound yarn to make a lapghan so I thought I'd try it. Burgundy for mom and Navy Blue for Dad.

I was daydreaming last night and thought of making him some sort of Semi truck in Filet crochet since he's a mechanic and works on them and has since before I was born. And I want to come up with a pattern for a fireman's blanket. I think I'll do that next year or for Father's Day, just sc one and then cross-stitch on the fireman's shield. I know I've seen it tons of places before.

I think he'd like it, he bought so much of the yarn while I was living at home and I have yet to make him anything!

everyone is getting swiffer pads from me this xmas. i love the ones i have made. they are machine washable and it's environmentally friendly. plus the real swiffer refills are expensive.

i just gave my MIL a wrap tonight for her bday gift. she said she needed one for at nights while watching TV.

dishcloths are always a big hit in my family.

you can make pet toys too. my dog loves his crocheted toys.

• 1 month later...
This year, I'm thinking of making snow people to represent the family members. Mama, Papa, and whatever number of kids. Maybe even add the cat or dog! This is something they can put out on a shelf or mantle to decorate over the holidays. Tree skirts is a nice idea too. I'm thinking more Xmas-y this year than all-round purpose uses.

That is a cute idea. My uncle's girlfriend did that last year for us but she did gingerbread people. It was really cute.

ratdog,I think there's a link on CPC for swiffer "shrugs" or reusable swiffer pads...I know I saw one somewhere, I think that was it. HTH

Lots of great ideas! keep em coming!

-Nephew is getting a baby grab ball (CPC pattern)

-Sis is getting a skirt I made (and re made and....) and dyed--I still have to sew in the liner. no ideas for her DH, maybe a hat (he shaved his head) for part of a gift.

-Mom is getting a pineaple oval doily, made with thicker (unknown) thread and a B hook (2.25mm), and I don't know what else yet.

-DD is probably going to get another outfit or two for her baby dolls (12" baby's I think) made with yarn I already have on hand

DS--second hand razr scooter, don;t know if I'll crochet him anything. maybe a camo scarf (I already have some left-over yarn that would work)

-MIL will probably just get a gift card. (one of them)

-SIL-this side we don't exchange between sibs, just the cousins...though she has 5 kids and we have 2...no ideas for most of her kids...her 17yo, I have some idea though.

-baby sis--no ideas yet (her or her DH)

-my brother--not sure yet

-my coffeebreak group--bookmarks, the "little lambs" group leaders...don't know yet, but something special.

I've also been on TipNut (website) which has tons of links and ideas for homemade gifts...links to recipes for food-in-a-jar gifts, for example, which I'll probably be taking advantage of this year. (esp as $$ is scarce)

Thanks for the mop cover pattern link. I think I will make one or two for my very green neighbor (and I mean that in the nicest way) for Christmas. It will go well with the stainless steel water bottles I already bought her.

I made scrunchies out of thread for nieces with long hair. Placemats for one sis. Wide headbands for my sisters out of nice warm wool (and not a hat, so no working in the round, which I'm not too good at). My BIL has gotten scarves from me the past two years, so I think this year he'll get a gift certificate. I know, kind of boring, but he loves the hardware store so I know at least he'll use it.

Patty

Last year, my grandma got a doily, my mom got slippers, my sister got things for graduation and Christmas: a stuffed duck, dishcloths, and a cell phone holder. I have no idea what i'm making for presents this year. Dad wants some slippers like I made for mom, but I haven't made them yet.

I'm making fingerless gloves (my own pattern, yet to write it up...), and cradle purses for some of the younger cousins. My Mom knits, so she's making up the dishcloth sets, so can't do that... I'm going to make a blanket for a couple others in the family, but have no ideas on the men... Most likely will get gift cards lol. :)

Great ideas!

Victoria

everyone is getting swiffer pads from me this year. i think i will make 2 or 3 for each family.

doggies will be getting snuggle blankets.

Archived