Hook Material?

What is your favorite kind of hook to work with that you've used?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite kind of hook to work with that you've used?

• aluminum
    • steel
    • hard plastic
    • soft plastic
    • bamboo
    • other wood (please elaborate)
    • depends (please elaborate)
    • can't decide/it's a tie (please elaborate)

I've always used aluminum or steel hooks except for a huge hard plastic hook and an old soft plastic hook that I unfortunately got rid of before learning that it was meant for metal wire. (Most of my steel hooks are gone now, too, along with most of my aids, but that's another issue.)

I've recently been looking at stores to see about replacing some of my squeaky or missing hooks, and I noticed that now there are all sorts of wood available. I know about bamboo getting smoother as you use it, but what are the benefits of other woods, of other materials?

For example, I'm pretty sure different woods don't all crochet the same. Anyone have any feedback on how they work, or maybe know some articles that talk about it? I can't seem to find any.

I actually love the new hooks from Susan Bates. They have a aluminum head and then a nice bamboo handle. They are just wonderful to crochet with and I don't get sore hands from using them, like I do with a regular hook.

It just fits so nicely in my hand. I will not use anything else now.

:manyheart

Hm. I myself have preferred my few steel hooks for feel, but those are smaller, and I mostly crochet yarn and not thread. I can't stand Susan Bates' hooks, though—it's the slice thing. Boye has a nice graceful taper to the hook, and I find it easier to use.

Of course, that brings up issues of different brands sizing their hooks differently…

I use steel when using thread. And depending on the yarn, it can be lucite (hard plastic), aluminum, or bamboo. The aluminum is getting to heavy of late, so I have been using the lucite or bamboo as they are lighter.

I actually love the new hooks from Susan Bates. They have a aluminum head and then a nice bamboo handle. They are just wonderful to crochet with and I don't get sore hands from using them, like I do with a regular hook.

It just fits so nicely in my hand. I will not use anything else now.

:manyheart

Ditto :D

I voted for aluminum, since that's what I use the most, but I do love my big plastic Crystallites for bulky yarns or multiple strands. I have a couple wooden ones that were my grandmother's but I've yet to use them.

I've been given a very beautiful rosewood hook, but it looks so delicate, I'm afraid I'll break it if I try to use it. I'd love to hear from someone that they can stand up to use. I currently use aluminum most of the time, with one plastic one that I am not overly fond of, but it's the only one I have in that size. I have steel ones also, but my eyes don't want to work on something that small.

I have some nice rosewood hooks but also like metal hooks. I don't care for plastic, except for the very large sizes, where I prefer plastic, for some reason (size M and up).

I have these on my Herrschners wish-list. I'd love to get these! I always end up having to use those foam rubber hook wrappers, which eventually get ratty and fall off, depending on how often you use the hook.

Interesting poll!! Ok, I'll fess up that I'm not much of a crochetier, but I know a little something about hooks since i've been making them for a few years now. And from what i've learned, and the little crocheting that I do, I've learned that

Metal hooks are definately good for dead on accuracy (size wise) when that kind of thing counts.. and plastic are pretty accurate too. Wood can't really compete in that area because wood expands and contracts with humidity.... BUT at the scale of crochet hooks, the amount of movement isn't much, and most likely is totally within tolerances for most crochetiers.

Metal and plastic don't break as easy as wood. True in some cases, and more true I suppose if you crochet REALLY tight. If you reach your aerobic phase afer your first row... maybe you shouldn't be using wood hooks.

Metal and plastic can be made in the Boye style. Wood hooks are not often made in the Boye configuration because Boye hooks are not "in line'. That's not to say that wood hooks can't be made to make Boye fans happy, but wood hooks are seldom made strictly in the Boye shape. Why? Because its a REALLY difficult thing to make a skinny Boye style head and throat in wood and end up with a stong hook. We need the "meat" across the hook head for strength. Hooks turned on a lathe also just don't lend themselves to the Boye shape... a turned hook is by nature, "in line". That's not to say that nothing can be done to make the Boye folks happy, but generally, a wood hook is seldom a true Boye hook.

BUT

Metal and plastic are made by machines from cold manufactured materials.

In my experience there is something about wood that you just can't get from plastic or metal. Maybe its kinda like the difference between zirconium and real diamond. Ever see a metal or plastic violin?

There can be a kind of partnership that can develop between a wood hook and its master that I don't believe is readily seen with a metal or plastic hook. A wood hook has a natural history... you can see and feel nature in wood. Wood can make you want to pick it up and stroke it like a little kitten. Wood is beautiful.

Ah but then I'm biased.

Ah but then I'm biased.

Everyone's biased; it's the people who won't admit theirs (or insist they lack them) that you have to worry about. ;)

I found your input on the design aspects quite interesting to read. Thank you for taking the time to write all that up.

I realy like aluminum hooks, they work very well, but sometimes they cause blisters on my left hand(the one I crochet with), usualy only on my pointer finger.

i use aluminum because they last pretty long, come in pretty colors and slide nicely on the yarn.

i made 2 ceramic hooks, but i don't know what size they are lol. they're pretty big though, work okay except i'm afraid to break em

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived