a "green" tip/ stash solution.

While watching the Food Network tonight, they showed a tip on saving energy. They said to stuff crumpled newspaper in your refrigerator. When you take up more space, it needs less energy to cool. I figured- why not use yarn??!! :lol

In my fridge, the bottom veggie drawer is completely empty. Solves two problems in one- save energy (and money, in turn used to buy more yarn), and stash your stash!

I think my family would think I was off my rocker if I started filling up the fridge with yarn.:lol

It is a good idea to fill the empty drawers with something so that it needs less energy to cool it.

We all need to find ways to help the environment.

:manyheart

My kids would find some way to spill something yucky onto my yarn...then would take great pleasure in twisting the tale to their advantage since "Mom was loony enough to put yarn in the fridge in the first place!":lol

That's hilarious! I would definately be the one to spill something on the yarn!!!:D I'm such a goof!

That does remind me of a funny story, though. A few years ago, I decided to make afghans for several people at work for Christmas gifts. I wanted to start on them during the summer so that I would have plenty of time to finish them. So, I made a special trip to Walmart. I bought ONLY yarn that day, and I am certain that I had 40-50 skeins of yarn. The cashier, amazed at seeing all of that yarn, asked me what I thought was a very silly question..."Are you making something?"

My DH (being very quick-witted and someone who jokes with people constantly) said to her, "No, we use this as insulation. It's a lot easier to work with than that pink stuff."

My poor DH would go completely over the edge if I did that! He is used to finding bags of yarn stashed in odd places, but the fridge I don't think he could handle! LOL

• 1 month later...

I've actually started doing this. Its only a 2-person household so there usually isn't much in the fridge. My girlfriend thinks I'm nutty. I just look at her and say that I'm keeping my stash fresh! :lol

I've actually started doing this. Its only a 2-person household so there usually isn't much in the fridge. My girlfriend thinks I'm nutty. I just look at her and say that I'm keeping my stash fresh! :lol

Wow, That's hilarious!! Just think. A friend comes over and she goes to the fridge for a can of pop and grabs a skien of yarn instead. She'd be like "Wow. Now she's not only sleeping crochet but eating it too."

Ha! It's probably good for the yarn like it is for pantyhose! Especially if it is a synthetic fiber........but with so much yarn....I would have to go out an get ANOTHER refrigerator! I guess I wouldn't be all that "Green":blush Of course, that says loads about me....that It makes perfect sense to buy a major appliance to keep my yarn fresh!:loco

:D:D:D My hubby would think I'd totally lost it, he never lets me forget the times he's found the milk in the cupboard, the coffee on the countertop and the kettle in the fridge :think

Thank heavens, I'm not the only one that puts the milk in the cupboard!! :lol

While watching the Food Network tonight, they showed a tip on saving energy. They said to stuff crumpled newspaper in your refrigerator. When you take up more space, it needs less energy to cool. I figured- why not use yarn??!! :lol

In my fridge, the bottom veggie drawer is completely empty. Solves two problems in one- save energy (and money, in turn used to buy more yarn), and stash your stash!

I read this to my husband, and he busted up laughing! :lol But....he couldn't argue with the logic. I'm not to the point where I need to store yarn in the fridge....yet! Maybe someday......:hook

I would have never thought of the fridge. I understand the chest freezer, to make the freezer more efficiant (sp). :think If the yarn is frozen, is it easier to work on the afghans in the summer?

I would have never thought of the fridge. I understand the chest freezer, to make the freezer more efficiant (sp). :think If the yarn is frozen, is it easier to work on the afghans in the summer?

I don't know about making it easier to work with, but what a way to cool off! :lol

Archived