gas station cosy, or, the protest blanket

Anyone see the article that was in my Sunday paper (and also online in various newspapers) about a woman in Dewitt, NY, who was fed up with gas prices and decided to cover an abandoned gas station with a giant handmade blanket? She and others crocheted, knitted, and quilted more than 3000 blankets together to make a blanket more than 5000 sq ft. Here's a link to the newspaper section; the photo is at the top, but scroll down for the story.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/239587.php

I didnt here of it until I seen this, I also dont understand how covering a abandoned gas stration with a huge balnket draws attention to our oil situation.To me it makes no sense.

Kim

Uhmmm.... it looks kinda cool.... but like the others have said how exactly is this supposed to "help" with oil/gas prices?? :think

I see it more as a statement about abandoned properties than gas... :shrug

HMMMMMMMMM...... I am like the rest of you, how is this supposed to help the price of gasoline. The only thing I see is it is drawing attention to an old abandoned gas station not the rising costs of oil/gas.

:thinkI sure would have liked to had all that yarn they used because I can think of a lot more ways to put that yarn to good use.......such as for our charities that we all crochet for right here on the Ville, instead of letting it get ruined:( in the weather just to cover up an old gas station.

:thinkI sure would have liked to had all that yarn they used because I can think of a lot more ways to put that yarn to good use.......such as for our charities that we all crochet for right here on the Ville, instead of letting it get ruined:( in the weather just to cover up an old gas station.

I would have to agree - the yarn could have in some way helped people with more pressing needs than being saved from an eye-sore.

I'm with the last two.... there are plenty of people out there who could use the blankets. The protestors would have actually made a difference by donating the blankets.... what they did isn't going to change anything.

I guess I am with the majority of the posters. I don't see what covering an abandoned gas station does to help lower the gas prices. What I got from the article was that she didn't like to look at the place and covered it up. What a waste of some beautiful blankets. Hey I don't like to look at my neighbors yard, maybe I should cover it up. :think

HMMMMMMMMM...... I am like the rest of you, how is this supposed to help the price of gasoline. The only thing I see is it is drawing attention to an old abandoned gas station not the rising costs of oil/gas.

my thoughts exactly

I feel for 2,500 school children, and their teachers, who contributed their time & effort (and our education dollars at work!)-like others said; there are many worthy causes that could have better used blankets.

This link seems to explain the intended purpose of the project better:

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2008/05/17/1494880-artist-covers-old-gas-station-with-huge-blanket

Apparently the goal was to have people "stop and think about it (oil) ... and be inspired to make up their own opinions about the situation and how it has affected their community".

I still am persuaded that there are far more profitable things to involve the community in, and spend all that money and yarn on, than creating such a thing.

On the link that Alicia provided, I click on the arrows to view more photos on the article. All I can see is the narcissitic artist posed in front of the gas station. I would appreciate more of close ups of blankets. I mean those people pour their time, effort and love in those blankets. They believe in something as a community. In the end, all I see is the artist, not others' work.

Ok, end of the soapbox rant. Now, I wonder where all the blankets go after they put them down in mid-july. I wish the article would mention something about it such as donate them to some charities or hospitals after deep washes of blankets. That will make me feel better about USA trying to go "Green".

when i looked at this link it has her email addy - wonder if we should send her a link to this site (especially this thread) so she can "get a clue"!! LOL

Please, everyone, let's not do this. Why would we want to call this person's attention to a discussion by a group of people who don't understand her purpose? Of what possible benefit would that be to her? I certainly don't want an argument to take place here.

Archived