New Disabled Crocheter in Town

ChasKitty

Hi, my name is Chastity and I haven't been :crocheting long (started this year only) but I have a love of anything arts/crafts related and dabble in anything I /think/ I may not suck at. XD This includes drawing, painting, polymer clay charms, digital art, and even customizing My Little Ponies from the 80s. Weird, I know.

A little background on me - I'm 24, born in '84, I live with my partner Jason and our black cat Hush. I love cats. And bunnies, I've been begging for one for a while. I live in San Antonio TX and hate every minute. Hot weather + me = not fun. I /will/ someday move to London like I dream to.

I was born with a very severe and disabling skin condition called Epidermolysis Bullosa - http://www.geocities.com/chaskitty221 - my personal EB site - (I'll be floored if anyone's even heard of it since most Doctors even haven't) which basically makes the two layers of my skin not "bind" together properly (missing a vital protein) so the skin just sloughs off leaving open sores and blisters all over. I have had Squamous Cell Carcinoma (skin cancer) removed 4 going on 5 times due to the repeated loss and regrowth of skin. Due to 24 years of scarring I have also lost my finger "spacing," meaning basically my fingers grew together in a fist/mitten type shape (I still have my finger bones but if you didn't know better you'd think they were just stubs with my fingers amputated or something). This, as you can imagine, sets me up for a great deal of issues with crocheting as well as other crafts and tasks in general. I use a leather and elastic cuff around my hand to hold tools such as the crochet hook. I may ask some odd questions due to my limits such as where to find rubber grippers for :hook hooks so they fit in my cuff better or if there is a less "finger-involved" way of making a Magic Ring to start amigurumi.

Anyway, I'm very open about EB and my life in general so if you'd like to ask me something don't be shy!

Chastity :ghug

Welcome, Chastity! Actually I have heard of EB, but am glad to have the website to learn more. Have you tried the fabric called Parafricta? It was used for a little girl in GB with EB, and I was fortunate enough to get some pillowcases and booties made of parafricta for my son, who has severe bedsores and is in bed for over 2 years now with a traumatic brain injury. The pillowcase really helps prevent new sores, and heal the old ones on his ear.

Hi Chastity !!! :welcome from Maggie in Stoneboro, PA !!!

WOW...and I thought I have problems!!! I guess our disabilities are what we make them...I have learned to live with my disabilities and take the good with the bad.

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes!

Kathy - I haven't heard of that fabric before, then again I live under a rock, any idea where it's available if at all anymore?

Chastity welcome and good for you to keep busy even though is would be "easier" to sit back and do nothing. Have you seen these hooks? thye might work well for you. Feel free to ask many questions everyone here is great and non judgemental. and please when you can we would love to see some of your creations inthe show and tell area

Welcome Chastity! There are a lot of good folk here who will help you out as you learn. I feel that if I'm making something, then I'm not wasting the time I spend in my chair.

~ Debby

Hello and welcome from another disabled crocheter. ;) I have actually heard of EB and read about it a few months back.

I have a rapidly progressing neurological disease as well as connective tissue order, causing 14 surgeries (including 4 brain) the last 3 years.

I'm making the most of every day while I can, with crochet as a part of my daily life. I do mostly charity crocheting to help myself keep perspective. :)

Welcome to the Ville!!!!! from Dallas Fort Worth....you could move up here....not as hot as San Antonio!!! :hug:hug

I'm so sorry that you have had to live with this condition. You have done a good job of eduction for others by your website. :hug

A very warm welcome!! :cheer I looked through your site and enjoyed reading about you and learning about EB. :yes

I can't wait to see your creations! :c9 So glad you joined us! :hook

*tear* It warms my heart to know so many people have heard of EB - Awareness Cures!

I have one of those butterfly necklaces ordered and so does my mom! The awareness Courtney Cox has help to spread is a miricle. I always knew she was my favorite "Friend" for a reason XD

The idea of those hooks are great! Altough the ball end is too large for my cuff I may be able tocome up with an idea to make some sort of cover from polymer clay to make it just the right size, thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks to you all for taking the time to learn about EB and how it affects me. Hugs all around!

Chastity

PS. I also posted in the Charity thread for Leparcy an idea I had if anyone'd like to take a peek.

Chas, the Parafricta is from England, I'm having trouble tracking it down at the moment (can't get thru to company) but when my friends get back to Scotland this week, they're going to keep trying for me. I need to order a few more pillowcases for Tim. I'll let you know if I get an answer.

Archived