Expensive Yarn--Is it worth it?

O.K. I admit I have a problem. That's the 1st step right? On my lunch break I fondled yarn. :blush There's a little gift shop 2 blocks from my office with knitting lessons and some yummy high-end yarns. I was going to take knitting lessons but have about decided just to enjoy crochet. :cheerI'm more into the budget variety right now due to budget constraints, but I have a little mother's day cash left. Just wondering . . . is expensive fancy yarn worth it?

Depends . . . . I have to admit, there are some yarns that just feel so good going through your fingers, that - YES - they are worth it. I am usually a Caron Pounders girl - but have splurged on the "good stuff" when the project calls for it - i.e. it's for a special person, the item really needs it, or I just wanna use the pricey stuff cuz I'm worth it.

The good stuff is like a great dessert, lots of fun to enjoy, but you don't have to use it for everything. I like nice yarns and occasionally splurge, but usually shop Joann's, Michael's, etc.

I think that it depends on what you're making. There's the amount of yarn you'd need (cost), the amount of time you'd be taking to make the item, who the item is for, whether you feel that the item you are making should require additional TLC for cleaning, etc. I certainly wouldn't make an item for a baby/small child out of "be super careful with this for cleaning" yarn.

I usually use regular acrylic yarn for stuff due to the easy care, but if I was doing something like a lace-weight shawl with an intricate pattern that would take me a long time to make, I'd consider splurging on a higher end yarn. Of course, I'd only feel like I could wear it out on special occasions due to the time and cost involved in making it.

What I'm thinking of using it for right now is a lacy shawl . . . and maybe the insides only of a granny square/motif afghan. That wouldn't require a lot and makes it pretty.

<<Expensive Yarn--Is it worth it?>>

In a word: yes.

I don't use it for a lot because I can't afford to, and because sometimes it's just not practical. (I made my first grandchild an alpaca sweater and a cashmere hat, and DD, the mom, just about killed me. Now he gets acrylic, sometimes cotton. I do my charity things in acrylic or cotton blend.) But if you're making something special for someone, or even if it's just special for you, and you can afford it, I'd say, use it. To me, the difference is like night and day.

What I'm thinking of using it for right now is a lacy shawl . . . and maybe the insides only of a granny square/motif afghan. That wouldn't require a lot and makes it pretty.

Make sure that if you mix a high-end yarn into a pattern that the washing instructions don't conflict with the rest of the yarn. You don't want one wash to ruin your item. :)

I hate to admit it but I really dislike the expense yarns-especially the ones that are fuzzy, sparkly etc. I had a project I was doing and had one of those yarns that was real fuzzy-half way through the project I realized I had made a mistake and when I went to undo the yarn-well let's just say I will never buy it again. Plus that's all you seem to be able to find anymore. Not any of the good quailty "normal yarn".

It depends what you're making, and how it will be used. You don't want to make a baby outfit or blanket out of yarn that needs hand washing, cause would you want to wash it every time baby drooled on it?

If you are making something for charity, most want acrylics for easy care and in case of allergies. There are beautiful acrylics out there that are lovely to look at, touch, AND care for. An afghan or bedspread comes to mind. If you never have kids or pets near it, unwashable yarn may be ok, but in my house? no way. I have to use easy wash yarns, because in my lifestyle I have no use for anything that needs dry cleaning. So, I'd never make myself something dry clean only.

Now, I have friends who would be fine if they had to dry clean an afghan, so I may make them one out of a more delicate yarn or one that needs more care in cleaning.

I'll agree with just about everyone else here. It can be soooo worth it, for the right project. I used some higher-end acrylic for a baby blanket for my cousin's son last fall. I could have gotten the same colors in RHSS, but since I hate working with that yarn and this yarn felt soooo much nicer already and was machine washable (and only a little more really...) I couldn't turn it down.

If it's something like mohair or furry or the like, I won't touch it if it's free. I just can't work with it so I'm not going to waste money on it.

But yes, working with, or even just petting, the high end yarn can be worth it, just make sure the yarn matches the project. Kinda like cooking dinner... you don't want to spend $100.00 to make Tuesday night burgers, but $100.00 for dinner for two couples for a special reason, that can be worth it.

The good stuff is like a great dessert, lots of fun to enjoy, but you don't have to use it for everything. I like nice yarns and occasionally splurge, but usually shop Joann's, Michael's, etc.

That's how I feel too.

I totally agree that it depends on what you are making and who it is being made for. You don't want to give someone a wool or alpaca scarf if you know they will just throw it in the washer and felt it, even if you tell them not to! Baby stuff must be machine washable, but there are nice superwash wool blends that are lovely for such garments, so if I were making an heirloom item, I would definitely spend the extra money. If you are making for someone else who is a fiber artist that uses natural fibers, I think it would be fine. I make stuff for myself from my handspun, which requires handwashing, but really you just soak and rinse. No big deal.

:hook

Special things do deserve nice yarn, but plan the project first before getting the yarn. I have a number of skeins of a gorgeous alpaca/silk yarn that I got for a deal, but now they are sitting in my stash waiting for the "perfect" project for them.

I think that nice yarn is totally worth it, though you do have to take into account what the item is going to be used for. I made my nephew a baby blanket out of wool-ease by lion brand, but I made myself the softest scarf out of pink cashmere. Most of my afghans are made out of nice 100% wool, since that is what my husband prefers, and you can wash, just in cold water, and I would avoid the dryer.

So, if the project is for you, then I would say go for it. It is a real pleasure to work with high-end yarn as it tends to split less and it feels good while you work with it. That always makes a project more fun to work on.

I'm glad you asked this question and am happy to read all of the replies. I'm new to crocheting so cost will determine, for the most part, what yarn I use. I'm glad it's ok to use the non-expensive stash.

i am with the majority, a lot of it is worth it. there are some that you can find cheaply on ebay or online and in my experience are pretty good/close in feel to the even more expensive stuff. i love the bamboo and the alpacas and they are usually pricey, i buy them on ebay for a fraction of the price in the yarn shops. there are some things/fibers that there just seems to not be a cheapy version or a good buy (cashmere, silk etc etc) but i would personally rather make a few less projects and buy a little bit pricier yarns when i am making something for myself

FRUGAL is usually my bi-word any more. I simply WON'T and CAN'T give up crocheting but our dollars are pretty much stretched to the end of the string. So, most of my projects have to be tailored to what I can afford. BUT (...and it is a HUGE "BUT"...), I keep a small file of patterns that I have seen, liked and take limited amounts of yarn (no more than 400 - 500 yards). That way when I FALL in LOVE with a high end yarn and tumble off of my "economical yarn diet", I know that only a couple of skeins will satisfy my CRAVING and I already have a pattern just waiting to be worked up.

i have found that majority of the high end yarns have a budget alternative.. wether it be just the brand name, or a similar feeling/weighted yarn that is cheaper..

Normally I don't buy expensive yarn, but there was a very pretty, lacy sweater I wanted to make and the yarn it called for in the pattern was pretty pricey. I did splurge and bought enough (I thought) to make it... turns out I needed a few more, so I have ended up paying almost $100 total! And I had to order the yarn online, which meant s&h costs, TWICE...so it's going to end up costing me a LOT of money. I don't think this one will be given away.

I feel that it is totaly worth it! If I make something for myself and I spend hours, sometimes weeks on it, I want it to be made out of a really nice yarn.

Acrylic has it's place. I would never make baby items that need to be washed frequently out of more expensive yarn. I only use RHSS or Caron for afghans...but when I am making a sweater or socks for me...I usually go with a better yarn. When I want to make something for someone special....I splurge. I don't feel that this makes me a yarn snob either....To me a yarn snob is someone who looks down on others for using the "cheap" acrylic...I would never do that. You use what you can afford and or like. There are many beautiful fo's here made out of all kinds of yarns. You be the judge of whether it's worth it for you!

I think it all depends on the item and who it's for. I tend to spend oodles of money on yarn for presents, but I end up making myself items out of the scraps/stash. The funny part is that I get the most compliments for my striped sweaters and scarves made up of all my leftovers.

I don't see the sense in buying the ludicrously expensive yarns (I once backed away in horror at a $20 skein, realizing that if I bought enough of this yarn for a sweater, I'd end up spending $300). I like the Yarn Harlot's reasoning...try using a more expensive yarn for something small, like a hat.

Some of the expensive yarns are so luscious and are so tempting, but I agree with most others in this thread. Save the expensive yarns for a special project. Myself, I really don't feel that I'm expert enough to be using real high end yarn. My luck I'd ruin it and then be just sick about it.

Archived