How old ...

I am just learning to crochet and took an afghan I am working on to my nephew's little league game last week (I only watch when he is playing anyway so this was something to do with my time between him batting and pitching). My step-sis-in-law came up to me and loudly informed me (and everyone within a 50 foot radius) that crocheting was for grandmothers and old people. So I am just wondering, what is the big deal? Do any of y'all get derogatory remarks from people? Is it just my family that is rude about this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No its not just your family. I have heard that many times especially from young people. It seems that there aren't so many of us "younger" ones crocheting in public, so many people think that only old people do it. Alot of people can't comprehend the tons of different objects and things you can make with crochet.

Don't feel bad - they would probably do it too if they knew how!

I never get that. If people make any comments at all, they are generally positive. However, I am over 50 and maybe people just expect me to do things like crochet.

Gee, I'm 53 and still consider myself "younger" than a crocheting old person:lol

I never get that. If people make any comments at all, they are generally positive. However, I am over 50 and maybe people just expect me to do things like crochet.

First of all, WHATEVER!:P

I am in my mid 30's and just learned to crochet a couple years ago. Old is an attitude, not an age. And obviously she hasn't heard about the comeback of yarn - lots of celebs doing it, the SnB book, shows like Knitty Gritty and Knit & Crochet Today - hello, us "hookers" are the new "in" crowd!LOL There is a "Craft Mafia" in just about every town.

I'm betting since she said it so loud, more & more people will start checking out what you are working on & maybe even catch the bug themselves! Come on' who can resist something cuddly & hand made?

I have learned that when people make comments like that they are just trying to draw negative attention to something they are really jealous they don't how to do. So my reply is usually something like this.....

I will look at them is total surprise and say (in an exagerated animated voice so it sounds like a joke)

"I didn't realize you were so jealous! I'm so sorry you're not talented or coordinated enough to learn how to do this!"

:rofl...................It shuts them up every time

I've gotten it. Especially when I was younger. I used to crochet in high school and some people would think that I had to be pregnant because no one my age would do that for fun. Those people I'd politely tell: "No, I'm not pregnant, but if I was, I would want someone kind and thoughtful to take the time out of their busy schedules to make something by hand to give to me for the child."

I still get it on occasion. I'm 21, been crocheting for 11 years. Depending on my mood, I'll give different responses. I've been known to say "Your grandmother crochets? We should get together some time and swap." or "Well, if only grandmothers crochet, it must mean that I'm smarter and wiser than you and know not to insult people about their hobbies."

I occassionally get this...but when they find out I actually design stuff, most people think it's pretty cool. I never bother much with what other people think, anyhow. I think Zig Ziglar said it best when he said, "What other people think about you is none of your business"! I'm 42 and have been crocheting over 20 years.

My friends all made fun of me (mid 30's) till they saw the things that started showing up at baby showers and now they want me to have a class and teach them all how to do it

Oh yeah, not to mention all the "OH my God...You MADE that??" 's

My in-laws never make comments because they all knit and/or crochet, and are really into crafting....

Now, MY FAMILY on the other hand.... in all honesty they say it all in good fun, and never in a mean tone, but when I spend a Saturday night at home with the kids watching a movie with my hooks going my sister trish will say "There goes Ada, so good at this mom thing she's almost a Grandma". It doesn't bother me, because I've taught her and my other younger sister how to crochet, although Trish didn't take to it, she says it's something she'll do when she's old... oh well, can't win them all!

I've never gotten "old" comments (I'm 38 & have been crocheting for more than 25 years). Many of my co-workers are quite surprised that I do it, though, because I'm so busy with many other things - they can't imagine that I have time. I tell them that I make time for what is interesting. I'm teaching a co-worker to crochet & she's in her 20s. She thinks it's an awesome hobby.

I don't think I've ever gotten that, probably because so many people in my area do needlecrafts. Actually, not that long ago, my grandma wanted me to take a look at a coverlet she had to see if it was crochet or knit so that it could eventually be copied. Then when she saw some of the things I was working on, she wanted some pointers! I'm 21 and she's in her 70's, so it's definately not an "old people" thing, if anything, it's becoming a "young people" thing. My BIL is even starting it and he's a little younger than me.

I think the people who make comments like that just have a "bee in their bonnet" :bee:hook

This is what I don't understand...People say crocheting and knitting is for grannies...what is it, when you reach a certain age you just pick up hook and yarn and start making blankets? I started a crochet group at my church, and some people were laughing about it, but many people who fill out visitor cards say they are interested in crocheting...WHOSE laughing now!!! It's a misconception that people have...I blame it on ignorance!

RUDE!!! I find people who make those types of comments have no talent at all, so they feel compelled to make rude ones to those that have an artistic ability. Crocheting is not for grandmas....there are people on this site that are from 9-90...it is for everyone!!

I've only had one relative say that I'm like a granny because I crochet so much, and I crochet everywhere including on top of my horse (I guess since I've been crocheting for 16 years that really shouldn't be a surprise). That remark came a couple of years ago when I was eighteen. My sister in law also thinks I crochet to much and says no man will ever want to marry some one who likes it that much. I'd think they'd wanna marry some one who could save them money (the more money you save, the more money there is to buy yarn. :-D )

I'm 19 and I get teased by my friends for knitting and crocheting. I just roll my eyes at them because they often turn around and ask me to make something for them. Crochet being for old ladies is an outdated cliche.

awe sweety, I am sorry that your sister did that to you. Hopefully there won't be a next time, but in case it is, just smile sweetly at her and say, "Now now <insert her name>, theres NO REASON to be SSSOOOO jealous of my artistic ability. Perhaps ONE DAY, you may learn to be creative AND artistict at something also. I hope it happens for you, as it did for me, before you get SO OLD that you can't enjoy it."

Just keep doing what you enjoy, make many gifts to give, and receive MANY compliments from those who enjoy such items and creativity. :)

Sandy

I've gotten it. Especially when I was younger. I used to crochet in high school and some people would think that I had to be pregnant because no one my age would do that for fun. Those people I'd politely tell: "No, I'm not pregnant, but if I was, I would want someone kind and thoughtful to take the time out of their busy schedules to make something by hand to give to me for the child."

I still get it on occasion. I'm 21, been crocheting for 11 years. Depending on my mood, I'll give different responses. I've been known to say "Your grandmother crochets? We should get together some time and swap." or "Well, if only grandmothers crochet, it must mean that I'm smarter and wiser than you and know not to insult people about their hobbies."

I LIKE that latter comment and will have to remember it for those rare moments. Love it

Sandy

Archived