How old ...

Yeah, I get teased a little by friends, but it's all in good fun. I'm 26, have been crocheting for almost 20 years now, (started on my 7th birthday) and if I didn't crochet, my hands would get pretty restless lol. :)

Victoria

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm too old to answer that question, LOL.

People can be rude about it. Just consider who it was that said it and don't let it upset you.

I have heard it from my family for years and I just ignore it. I just love to crochet and nobody is going to stop me!

:manyheart

No, my father can be rude. When I'm trying to count, he blurts numbers out to confuse. Sometimes I think that family thinks that they can act like this because they are your family. Try not to let it bother you. You are doing a wonderful thing. (((hugs)))

If crocheting is for old ladies/grandmas, why do so many say they learned when they were 12 or younger :think ? I started at 9 or 10 (I'm 47) and I'm not going to stop. They can pry my :hook from my fingers when I'm dead (better yet, bury me with it :lol). If I can't take my :crocheting, I'm not going!

Ellie 13

Hello,

Now I am 53 but I have been crocheting since I was 16;). Many a times I have carried my crochet :crochetingwith me to outings and meetings( crocheting while waiting for everyone to come). I always carry it with me when I am travelling by train. No one ever has passed any comment then or now. In fact a few years back when I had to travell almost 2 to 3 times a week I had many daily commuters ask me to teach them and sure enough I did. It is a great way to relax too. Continue crocheting and just forget anyone making comments.:yay

Regards,

i spose im lucky, im almost 28 and started knitting and crocheting when i was around 10..

my aunty, stepmum and 2 grandmothers all have a crafty streak..

most of the comments from my family are to do with reminding them of relatives that loved to craft items..

lol although people my age have a giggle and say how i remind them of thier grandparents and once they see the final product they are amazed.. lol then they ask how much i would charge to make whatever it is..lol i usually tell them $10 an hour plus materials..lol they nearly die when they find out the time i put in..makes them appreciate hand crafted items sooo much more

People who insist that only elderly women knit or crochet are extremely out of touch with reality. They have succumbed to an unfortunate stereotype popularized by the media for many years now. It's their loss, not yours.

I like angie's comments the best. How mean of your stepsister to say that. She is obviously jealous of your talent. You keep up crocheting though!!!!!!

Some day she will really be amazed at your talent.

Give me a shout if ya want some neat patterns.

Teapot:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

I agree... it's jealousy. Look at many celebrities who knit and crochet!

I learned when I was around 40... and wanted to learn years beore that. Crocheting is making a comeback, but IMO, it never really left!

I've only had one relative say that I'm like a granny because I crochet so much, and I crochet everywhere including on top of my horse (I guess since I've been crocheting for 16 years that really shouldn't be a surprise). That remark came a couple of years ago when I was eighteen. My sister in law also thinks I crochet to much and says no man will ever want to marry some one who likes it that much. I'd think they'd wanna marry some one who could save them money (the more money you save, the more money there is to buy yarn. :-D )

My husband loves the fact taht I like to crochet and knit. He says it's comforting and he like that fact I'd rather crochet than bar hop.

My Son is married to a wonderful young woman who like to crochet and he is just thrilled. He says the same thing DH says. Better than a Bar Hopper :rofl

I'm 20 and I've never had anyone tell me anything like that. I guess I'm lucky or something...lol Everyone who's ever said anything to me is generally impressed that I can. A few people have mentioned their mother or grandma could crochet (or knit) but it's in a good way, like they're glad people still do things like that. I wouldn't let the jealous people bother you though. :)

I am 28 and I crochet in public, and for the most part all I ever get are questions like "what are you making" or comments about how cool it is that I crochet. I am actually the only crocheter in the family, even though my Mom is 60 and my Grandmother is 88. So, crocheting is obviously not just for older people. Besides, what is old, anyway?

And just remember those 'old' ladies started out as young ladies and you can bet they crocheted then as well! :D

I'm guessing that there was a green-eyed monster nearby when she reacted so badly. Just maybe others were interested in you and your work and not her.

I have always found that people scream from their own lack of skill, talent, ability or whatever. My best suggestion is to pray for her.

Well Iam 47 (not that old) and Iam a Grandma of a 9 year old Grandson and i nobody has said anything negative yet but let them try! :box

People tend to give funny looks if you proudly proclaim you're a crocheter. They always think that by crocheting you are an old fuddy duddy (<-that saying is a little duddyish) but I say fooey to them. I'm only 28 and I LOVE crocheting.

At work everyone assumes I am expecting a baby when I crochet. :( My youngest is 6 and no more babies for me. I crochet to relax

Me too! I crochet at work...during my lunch hour and everyone always tip-toes around the question! it probably doesn't help that I look pregnant and have since my last son 10 years ago!

BTW- I'm 32 years old.

Maybe that was a failed attempt at being humorous? Maybe she is being a tad bit mean so tell her that the comments felt hurtful to you and see what she says.

Yep, it has to be jealousy. I had a co-worker who for some reason took a dislike to me. When she found out I crochet she said, " I knew you were the Martha Stewart type!" in a very insulting tone--as if being crafty is nerdy. I just looked at her and said, "Oh thank you; you're so sweet!"

I am only 33. The friends I have that are my age at first made fun of me for crocheting. But now they enjoy the "cool" stuff I make for them.

I just ignore the negative comments I get about my crocheting as they usually come from people that are jealous and wish they knew how to do it.

Tammy

I just turned 25 in April, and I've been crocheting on and off since I was 11, although for the past five years it's been constantly "on." I crochet in public all the time, at restaurants and in waiting rooms, I even worked from a messenger bag slung over my shoulder standing up two years ago when my dh took me with him to get a Wii at midnight. It gets funny looks sometimes, and I have to remind myself not to be ugly when people comment on my "knitting" (although I do tend to correct them).

The only time I've had someone say that crocheting was for older people was when a lady in the yarn aisle at Hobby Lobby said how nice I was to be picking up yarn for my grandmother. I laughed and told her it was for myself. It was the middle of summer and she said there wasn't really a need for afghans or sweaters (especially here in Alabama!). You should have seen her face when I told her that it was all for stuffed animals so it didn't matter. It took me another ten minutes at least to convince her that you really can crochet stuffed animals of all kinds.

I've never gotten the old thing...just don't get why people would say that to begin with...do.not.get.it...

Regardless, to the original poster, I'm sorry, but your SIL was just out and out rude.

Archived