Alas, alas!

Do tell me your current mistakes so I can feel better. On one of those pretty long rows (Round 43?) of Crochetvile's most beloved Between Meal Centerpiece I just worked my way ALL the way to around to the beginning of the row to find: I had put only 1 DC where there should be 2. This was in the very first shell of the round, mind you.

Misery really does love company. Make me feel better by spilling your current crochet woes.

I feel your pain all too well at the moment. I should have stuck to afghans. My last three projects have been attempts at simple fashion items, all of which ended less than perfect to downright unwearable. Kept me busy, but to what end. Bleh!

COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I'm making a little over the shoulder cozy & knitting little pieces for over the shoulder.... and I counted and counted and lay one on top of the other and yupppers made one WAY longer than the other. WAY longer.

]:thair

Sigh.

I told my friend and she replied "well, that's ok.. I'm much bigger on one side than I am on the other so it'll still fit".

See why we're friends?[/color :bheart

OH, I challenge you to find an afghan I've made using Drew's Dudessembly method where I didn't forget two double crochets and it was undiscovered until I started putting the border on. I typically keep going (because it works with that particular pattern) and I know no one's really gonna notice. I did it with this afghan

You are so not alone

Joyce

i have made the BMC many times. and each time i have to rip out one of the rounds. of course it would not be the beginning rounds, that would be ok. it is always one of the ones towards the end and the mistake is always at the start of the round. wouldn't it be great to have to only rip out 5 even 10 stitches to get to the mistake! but no, it is always what seems like a gazillion stitches back! you are not the only one. but the centerpiece is lovely once completed. you will be glad you took the time to correct it.

If it were my first mistake in this piece I would be ecstatic. However it's just the last in a long series of froggings, some really major. It's not a hard bit of crochet, but I apparently am one of the most inattentive hookers around, LOL. Like Krystal, anymore I just do it — rippppppppppp.... My husband looks on in awe at how I just start pulling out the threads of my last bit of life like that.

Herein lies a moral: Anytime a mistake is as easy to correct as it is in crochet, be very grateful. Not all of life's mistakes are rectifiable.

When I was making my blue jeans shawl, I put it down one night without finishing the row. When I picked it up the next day I turned and continued with the next row. By the time I noticed I had to rip out 20 rows!!!!!

Thank God they keep getting shorter but 20!!!!!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72204

crochet fudges... hmmm the very first straight row afghan I ever made was for my inlaws... back when they were my new inlaws,and I really wanted to impress them... somehow I lost stitches along the way and i wasn't laying hte prject out all the time, so didn't notice till I was nearly done... I presented on Christmas morning a beautiful Trapezoid! My MIL swears she loves it, it's double stranded and VERY warm... but still it's a trapezoid :rofl

I frogged 2 entire baby blankets, because they were large granny squares, and when they were finished they both had that familiar "tilt." I know that people who don't crochet don't even notice it even when you point it out to them, but I could see it.

I know I should quit crocheting when I'm feeling tired but somehow I always convince myself that I'm not 'that tired' and I'm doing just fine on my project. I'm working on a Doris Chan top and everytime I work on it late at night I have to frog a few rows the next day. Why don't I learn? Maybe I think I can trick myself? I don't know but I'm soooo glad that y'all have the same problems.

~ Debby

I was working on the Cathedral Rose Window afghan at nearly 2 in the morning a few days ago. I was so confused I put it down and begged for help in the CAL. Turns out, I was just reading the directions wrong. Serves me right for being up so late!

Oh my gosh....the BMC gave me fits. I kept losing my concentration with interruptions and somehow deleted an entire row. What a muck!!!!! I kept trying to make it work and of course it didn't and I didn't have the d**n pattern with me. Forgot to slip it in my crochet bag but was SURE I could remember the pattern and sequence.....NOT. For the entire time I was visiting at my inlaws I was GRUMBLING. Got home, found the pattern and groaned when I discovered how many ROWS I needed to RIP. Stuffed it in the bag for a week then got back at it and FINALLY finished. It turned out very pretty but didn't do a thing for my peace of mind (...LOL...).

Used to be when I discovered a mistake, my attitude would be, "Oh well, no one will notice" :shrugespecially if it was a fairly small mistake. I would just forge ahead. But now that I have begun designing, this is no longer an option! If I want others to be able to reproduce my results, then I MUST FROG if I mess up.:bang Most recently, the sweater I am trying to get ready for the Chain Link fashion show (If I get it done in time!?!?!?!) required that I rip out the entire upper back. It seems I had not made the back wide enough, as I originally thought I had. Oh well....I keep telling myself it will make me a better crocheter!!! :crocheting

Only I am the noticing kind. I admit to leaving extremely inconspicuous mistakes only if they don't affect the stitch count in the next row. Most of the time, though, I can't stand it and have to frog. I often notice things you wouldn't think people would notice. I used to do some minor graphic design and lemme tell 'ya — 'ya gotta sit up and pay attention!

Anyway, the BMC and I are having a splendid time teasing each other, razzing back and forth. Are you really, truly done with this row it asks? Uh, I think so, I reply. Then it sniggers, better look again, my friend.

Thank you, everyone for making me feel part of an elite crowd — handcrafters with hooks! :hook

crochet fudges... hmmm the very first straight row afghan I ever made was for my inlaws... back when they were my new inlaws,and I really wanted to impress them... somehow I lost stitches along the way and i wasn't laying hte prject out all the time, so didn't notice till I was nearly done... I presented on Christmas morning a beautiful Trapezoid! My MIL swears she loves it, it's double stranded and VERY warm... but still it's a trapezoid :rofl

My mom does this constantly. The last one was a baby afghan and it looked like it was supposed to be that way. The mom who recived it loved how it wrapped around her baby. :)

I've been working on a graphed pillow, and for the back I messed up the graph, making it 17 stitches wider than it was supposed to be. So when I chained my 65 stitches, and got to the color changes, I couldn't figure out why it wasn't centered...lol Got it eventually, and thankfully I was only a few rows in.

Oh, HomekeepingGran: one evening, in a burst of industriousness, I tackled a batch of pale pink squares for a friend's baby blanket. I thought I was brilliant: tried a new pattern, which required a couple of froggings to get it right, used up the ends of two other skeins that I had lying around: I thought I was being The Perfect Crocheter.

Thing was, the next day in daylight I discovered that I had accidentally picked up a ball of peach wool as well, so some squares were a yucky peach colour, some were the desired pink but most of them - thanks to my stashbusting vein - were a mixture of both. In the poor light of my reading lamp I never noticed it.

I was so annoyed with myself, I couldn't crochet for a couple of days! :lol

oh yeah....hmmmm. How about my HAT crisis, couldn't get a pattern down to save my life, and it seemed like anytime I began counting, the DH suddenly wanted to have a conversation. JERK! :lol

Mine happened just last night. I tried to start the mate to my new sock and had to frog back to the beginning twice! Decided it was just not a sock night :P and made a dishrag instead. It turned out just fine,so sometimes it is best to step away from one project for a bit and pick up another! :yarn

I don't think I ever completed a project without frogging a few times. I remember frogging 7 rows of a doily not so long ago, and more recently, noticed - as I was blocking - that the last row of a doily had one too many picots (in a spot where there weren't supposed to be any). It was really obvious, so out that row came. It was all picots and triple clusters (tons of them). :eek

As I write this, there is a tulip doily waiting for me to undo the last 3 rows... I haven't had the heart yet... :blush

I tell my students frogging is a part of crocheting. Better get used to it, because you will have to undo at some point. Trust me. :devil

As you were blocking? Ouch.

All these stories make me feel better. As I crochet (and frog) I can imagine you in your homes fretting over getting your projects just right, too, and in the strangest way it's comforting.

A few years ago (I've never confessed to this before) I designed a graph/pattern to make a pink thread swag curtain for my bathroom. I really struggled with the graph paper, erasing, erasing..... finally got it right. Then I spent an amazing amount of time on the thing - - frogging wherever I messed up the blocks.

Finally done! Then went to block it and realized that one side was about 8 inches longer than the other. I had spent so much time on this darn thing and the thought of frogging an entire side was more than I could face.

I actually put it in the garbage. I just felt that it wasn't meant to be. Just too frustrating and crochet is supposed to be a leisure craft. I still feel sort of bad about the whole thing but I know if I kept it I would have been more upset about the whole thing.

LESSON LEARNED for me................stay away from graphs.

Oh, I have frogged so many rows and rounds, it isn't funny! My dh asked me the other night what "frogging" meant, and I said... ripitripitripit... he thought that was VERY amusing. But he totally understands, because he makes mistakes when he is making his wood projects, too... wasting wood, which costs money!

Right now I am working on an Indian blanket, and each row starts from the same side. When I catch a mistake, (which happens every 4th or 5th row) I just stop, go to the end of the previous row and frog back to the spot where the mistake is, and correct it, then tie that row off and complete the next row. Luckily, most of the time I only have to rip a few inches, but once I had to go back almost to the start of the previous row.

But on ripples I've done, sometimes I've had to rip 5 or 6 rows, and that HURTS!! Isn't it disgusting when you don't catch the mistake until 6 or 10 rows later???

I've had to frog a few clothing items as well, when they ended up too small or not shaped right or something. One I just never did go back to... I ended up making something else with that yarn, because I could never get it to look right.

Archived