Babette Blanket and boredom?

Hi all:

The Babette blanket caught my eye but the first thing I thought of was: "will I die of boredom making this?".

I've started many an afghan then stopped because after about what seemed like the "millionth" square, it became a chore.

If you've worked on this blanket, I'd love it if you could share your experiences.

Cheryl.

P.S. I don't have the yarn in my stash so I'd be going out to buy "more yarn" and, of course, I'm trying not to add to my stash.

Hi Cheryl!

I've got several squares done on my Babette Blanket.

I love this blanket...but since I suffer from project boredom myself, I put it aside and work on something else as I have several projects going at the same time, then I come back to it.

P.S. One can't have enough stash!! :hook

I've been working ona version of the babette also. One thing that is keeping me from getting bored is to put the squares together as I go. I started in the middle and have a couple of panels put together now. It helps because if I get tired of crocheting, I start to sew. And when I get tired of that, I go back to crocheting. And I'm making all different sizes of sqares at once. I'm loving it!!

I just ordered the yarn today to make my babette, I picked 10 different colors... I know the pattern used 19, maybe I'll add some of the colors I have on hand when the stuff I ordered gets here... I like the idea that the squares are all different sizes... and I'm planning on doing it by the numbered panels in the pattern... Kind of like doing 10 mini projects, instead of one big one... at least that's how it works in my mind, :lol

I wouldn't even attempt it for two reasons.

1. The boredom factor

2. The weaving in of all those ends.

I just couldn't handle all the stress. They are beautiful to look at, but just not right for me. Good luck.

:manyheart

I wouldn't even attempt it for two reasons.

1. The boredom factor

2. The weaving in of all those ends.

I just couldn't handle all the stress. They are beautiful to look at, but just not right for me. Good luck.

I am with you on that! I will not make anything that has to be sewn or woven together. And I don't like it.

The Babbette is gorgeous but if I made one it would be very small — either a lap blanket or a crib blanket. I know without trying I would never finish it. I assume it uses worsted weight? If you cut it to DK or even sport in similar colors you could just scale the whole thing down, but... that would still mean tons of blocks, woudn't it? Hmmmm...

I clicked on the link for the Babette and just about screamed NOOOOOOOO in panic. While I don't mind doing some piece work, that project just look way too overwhelming to me. Almost overkill on piece work.

I don't know about the boredom factor, there's enough variety for me to keep from being bored per se...but no, just the shear number of pieces to crochet and assemble would push me over the edge...I'm not even gonna think of the weaving in of the ends...no, no, no...

I made a "Babette inspired version" lapghan size. I made several squares in yellows and blues, but when my legs got cold, I started putting them together. Then I had to figure out what I still needed colorwise and sizewise. I recommend making the squares and laying them out with a plan in mind before putting them together. I'm happy with mine and I'll be the only one to see it, but I could have done better.

I clicked on the link for the Babette and just about screamed NOOOOOOOO in panic. While I don't mind doing some piece work, that project just look way too overwhelming to me. Almost overkill on piece work.

I don't know about the boredom factor, there's enough variety for me to keep from being bored per se...but no, just the shear number of pieces to crochet and assemble would push me over the edge...I'm not even gonna think of the weaving in of the ends...no, no, no...

Same here! :eek

I'm also making this afghan but in worsted weight scrap yarn. What I do to break up the boredom of the squares was to make the squares for one section at a time, sew them together, weave in the ends, and then go on to the next section. It breaks everything up into manageable sizes and I'm not stuck sewing in a million ends when the afghan is done.

Here's my progress so far. When I took the photo, not all the squares where sewn together yet.

I hated it when I first saw it, but it has grown on me, I have started my own version (as I dont have the pattern), although I havn't done any in a while I sewed together the squares as I went along and now have my 1st section, still need to weave in the end (which I hate). Have also started a scrap baby babette as well, something to work on when Iam bored of other projects.

Well, golly...! I've heard so much about this babette... now I know what it looks like!

Can a person just make up their own design for one? Looks like WORK!!!!!

Sure they could make up one. Just get out your yarn and start making squares. Make them of various sizes. The one good thing about this is that if a square is too small for an area, you can always do another round or two to get it to the perfect size for the spot intended on the blanket.

These just are not for me. Way too many ends to weave in!

Yes, the weaving in all the ends is a dreaded chore... I don't mind sewing them together, though. I don't mind sewing, for some reason. Doesn't take too much concentration and I can do it watching t.v.

Believe it or not, my late SIL's mom used to sew clothes, entirely by hand. She could make the tiniest stitches, and did french seams, so there were no ragged edges. To handsew a dress had to take a lot of patience!! She crocheted beautiful dolies and tablecloths too.

• 1 year later...
Here is a flckr album I found of different peoples babette progress photos...

Wow, thanks so much for posting that link! The babettes are just gorgeous! Every one prettier than the last one! I don't know which one I liked best, every time I saw another one I went "Oh, wow, wait! THAT one!" :lol

I need to do one of those. I have a couple of things in the works and then I'll start one of those. Just gorgeous! I've been wanting to do one for almost two years now!

I am in the process of making this blanket. I weave the ends of the squares as I go. I am in no rush to complete it, and there for I haven't really gotten bored with it. As it seems that I always have other things that have to get done in between the squares. I am making it as baby blanket with different style squares as well. So far I have found it fun to do. I have a good amount of squares done, and it is partly put together. I will more than likely do another one with brighter colors and just using a granny square pattern.

I have to admit that I don't see the attraction of these blankets. I think it is knowing about weaving those ends that stops me cold. I don't see the ghan; I only see all those ends.

:rofl

I have to admit that I don't see the attraction of these blankets. I think it is knowing about weaving those ends that stops me cold. I don't see the ghan; I only see all those ends.

:rofl

I have to agree with you :lol!!! I looked at the pics and the ghans are just to busy for me, but I think some of the color combos are wonderful. I don't like weaving in the ends either, but I guess it would be no different than all the ends that I am weaving in on my scrap granny ghan :lol:lol. I don't like the sewing part either. I like to crochet my pieces together. So this ghan is definitely one I would not try.

Happy :crocheting to those of you who are making one of these!!!!

That would drive me crazy. The only granny square type afghans I've made have been join as you go afghans. If there is one thing I find disheartening, it's to spend all the time it takes to make 80 squares, and when you are finished crocheting, that is exactly what you have - a big pile of 80 squares and no afghan!

I do like the join-as-you-go type afghans though.

Archived