Icky Hooks

A couple of weeks ago, I grabbed a crochet hook three pack at Walmart. It was sizes N, K, and J, I think. Get them home, open them up, and they felt HORRIBLE. I couldn't stand to touch the things. They just felt off, odd, weird to me. I handed one to the hubby and asked him if it felt funny. He decided it was the finish...rough and just icky feeling.

He took them back. I have NEVER taken back a crochet hook in my life, but I couldn't afford the nearly $4 for a pack of hooks I had no intention of ever using--much less touching.

He came back with individuals of all three sizes. He said they had the multi-pack, but he was afraid from the look of them that they'd be the same. Ain't he sweet?

So, anyone else ever come across brand new yet icky hooks? I so need to try some wooden ones or something.

I do love wooden hooks! I got a couple of plastic ones while I was visiting my Mom and forgot my crochet. (Horrors!) They felt funny-the seams were not smoothed off well and flimsy. I used them and broke one on cotton yarn.

I always feel like I am going to break the plastic, so crocheting becomes stressful, not relaxing. I will stick with the ones I know are made well, Boye and Bates.

I've got three plastic hooks. The "I" I didn't like at all because of the seams down the sides. The P and Q feel funny, but it's probably the sheer size of them since I'm used to working with a "G" or "H" or a "C" (which I use for my thread crochet). I've NEVER used a wooden hook...can't seem to find any and getting hubby to let me order something from online is worse than pulling teeth. One day I'll manage to snag one or two. :)

The icky hooks were aluminum...which is what I primarily use. I like the steel hooks, too, but they are shorter than the aluminum and I keep getting them caught up inside my sleeves (I wear long sleeves a lot because of the fan).

I do love wooden hooks! I got a couple of plastic ones while I was visiting my Mom and forgot my crochet. (Horrors!) They felt funny-the seams were not smoothed off well and flimsy. I used them and broke one on cotton yarn.

Unsmoothed plastic hooks are an epidemic....

I liek pastic hooks, but I want them to be well made, not just thrown into a package fresh from the mold!

A couple of weeks ago, I grabbed a crochet hook three pack at Walmart. It was sizes N, K, and J, I think. Get them home, open them up, and they felt HORRIBLE. I couldn't stand to touch the things. They just felt off, odd, weird to me. I handed one to the hubby and asked him if it felt funny. He decided it was the finish...rough and just icky feeling.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about those hooks! I love aluminum hooks, it's pretty much all I use except for the steel ones I use for thread and the plastic ones I use when the sizes get up above my beloved "N" that I use for afghans. The "P" and "Q" that I use are hard plastic. The aluminum hooks that I like are shiny, they remind me of the anodized aluminum stuff (tumblers, ashtrays, etc.) that used to be around in the 60s. Some of my aluminum hooks, however, have a rough finish to them, almost like they're textured, and I HATE THEM!!! My shiny aluminum hooks are heavy, they feel solid, they have weight to them and it feels nice and balanced in my hand. Not so these rough-textured hooks. They're light and it feels like they are hollow. I don't like them AT all.

I also have a couple of plastic hooks that are (I think, I never even look at them) sizes "F" and "G", and they're flimsy and bendy and they have a raised-up seam going all the way down one side and up the other. I don't know who would be comfortable using a hook like that, or why a company's quality control would even allow a hook like that out of the factory!

Well, those are my "icky" hooks. :lol

I've found that these hooks, with a kind of powdery finish, will become smooth either through use or by rubbing with a buffing cloth. I like the lighter weight of the bigger sizes (my hand doesn't get nearly as tired using them).

I know someone sent me the plastic hooks once & I gave them to my daughter cause I didn't like them. I use the aluminum hooks, never been fortunate yet to get the wood hooks except my long afghan hooks

I don't like the plastic hooks that sometimes have that raised seam that someone mentioned. I also don't care for Crystalites since 2 of mine broke when I had just gotten them.

My favorite is either my Clover Soft Touch hooks or my TOTC hook that I was gifted with. 3rd are the thin bamboo hooks but I don't use them very much anymore because they bother my tendinitis.

I haven't used aluminum in quite a while. I was using the K in aluminum because I didn't have a K in wood or clover (soft touch doesn't have a K) but I fixed that by shaping polymer clay around my aluminum K hook that is VERY close to the clover soft touch shaping.

Most of my hooks are older, but I have a couple of newish Boye steel hooks which I need to throw away. The older ones are smooth and feel good but the new feel as though they would rip my fingers up with much use. Far too rough.

Funny, I have never felt "icky" hooks. I have all different kinds. Everything from plastic, aluminum, steel, and my all time favorite wood Turn of the Century hooks. I have two of these that were gifted to me by 2 lovely people here at the 'ville. I cherish these. If you ever get a chance to buy one......do it. They are fabulous!

The plastic hooks with the seams you speak of I have yet one more gripe. Even though they are forgiving to the hands ( I liked that they flexed a bit because it provided a bit of a shock absorbing effect for me) it would take me at least two hooks to get through a small project because the heads would wear down and result in tighter stitches...not good to have work uneven! The difference per stitch wasn't huge but as work progressed, of course, the resulting fabric would look more like a beginner using uneven tension.

Needless to say, I have long since returned to susan bates metal hooks!

I've never tried the wooden hooks because I fear the heads will wear down too.

T-

Funny, I have never felt "icky" hooks. I have all different kinds. Everything from plastic, aluminum, steel, and my all time favorite wood Turn of the Century hooks. I have two of these that were gifted to me by 2 lovely people here at the 'ville. I cherish these. If you ever get a chance to buy one......do it. They are fabulous!

*muttermuttermeanpersonshowingmeprettyhooksmuttermutter*

ahem.

Those are really pretty. I want to get some art-ee hooks.... but i lose them easily.

I must stick to inexpensive hooks until I become a little more responsible.

I'm happy to hear you've never had an icky hook! :manyheart

I have only ever used aluminum hooks, and a few times the crystalites ones. I have a set that has L M N P (except my boyfriend stepped on the L hook and broke it)

I've seen the plastic hooks and you can almost always see the seam running down them, they don't even look comfortable to use.

I've also seen the bamboo hooks but I am perfectly happy with the aluminum ones so I figure why switch?

I agree with you 100%. I have returned hooks before because of that. Even a wooden one (probably flawed). You will be glad to know that there are aluminum ones in those sizes now...my favorite is Anne Bates.

You can get those at Herrschners.

http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=014041

I agree with you 100%. I have returned hooks before because of that. Even a wooden one (probably flawed). You will be glad to know that there are aluminum ones in those sizes now...my favorite is Anne Bates.

You can get those at Herrschners.

http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=014041

Do you mean Susan Bates?

I bought a learn how to crochet book once that came with a plastic hook. Thank goodness it had neat patterns on the inside and was super discounted. Only thing is, I have to wonder how many people tried using the horrible hook it came with? And how many people gave up trying to crochet? It's hard enough trying to learn from a book even harder without the proper tools. The hook looked like a defective drinking straw. Breathe on it to hard and it would have broken.

I have a set of 10 hooks sizes B to K. B to H are aluminum but I, J and K are plastic. The plastic ones are smooth, no visible seams. I'm not sure how they're made :think. I mostly use G or H hooks. I've had to use the I hook on occasion, and was worried it might break. The only icky hook I've had (threw it out), was plastic with a rough seam. It came with a kit someone gave me. I never did the project, but used the yarn and my own hook for something else :lol.

Ellie 13

I have a P hook from Turn of the Century and just LOVE it!

Susan Bates has an aluminum hook with a bambo handle, its become my favorite to use. I was really surprised because I'm a Boye fan and dont really like the Bates hooks. Its very light and easy to use.

Unsmoothed plastic hooks are an epidemic....

I liek pastic hooks, but I want them to be well made, not just thrown into a package fresh from the mold!

I prefer aluminum and Pony is my favourite brand. However, they didn't have the size I needed in aluminum at my yarn store so I had to buy a plastic one from Pony and I have to say it's very confortable and smooth. I don't know how much are they in the US but I paid about 4 bucks for it (2 euros) and was money I don't regret having spent.

Archived