Prayer Afghan Ministry - Squares Needed

Croshay

I've started a Prayer Afghan Ministry, and we could use your help with making 12" squares! This is similar to the prayer shawl ministry which you've probably heard about, but we're making small afghans instead (also called lap blankets). I am coordinating this project with a group of ladies from my church.

These afghans will be going to the Mint Jubilee Cancer Resource Center in Louisville, Kentucky. The goal is to provide each newly-diagnosed cancer patient who comes there with a lap blanket in a color which corresponds to his/her particular type of cancer.

The "prayer afghan" theme comes in because we will be meeting at church and praying over the items before delivering them to the center for the patients. The center's focus is "to provide a soothing and healing sanctuary for cancer patients" so we will be praying for healing and comfort for the recipients of the afghans.

We can use as many solid-colored 12" squares as we can get (certain colors, but not lacy or holey patterns, please). This will be an ongoing project/ministry, so there is no deadline for sending squares. We will be glad to receive squares at any time!

Due to popular request, here is a complete list of the colors that represent the different cancers:

http://www.craftsnscraps.com/jewelry/ribbons.html

The colors requested by the cancer resource center at this time are burgundy and ivory together (head/neck), lime green (lymphoma), navy blue (colon), orange (leukemia), teal (ovarian and/or cervical), and white (lung).

Please email me at PrayerAfghanMinistry@yahoo.com and I'll be glad to send you more information.

I thought I would add that my heart is in this project because I lost one of my lifetime best friends to colon cancer 2 years ago.

:ty for considering supporting this cause!

Please see post #84 of this thread to see WHO has contributed WHAT so far. :angel

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question - are you accepting 12" granny squares?

If so, is a "regular" pattern fine or do we need to use a smaller hook so the spaces are smaller?

I got a skein of "kelly" green yesterday and will get started on some 12" squares as soon as I finished the SAS afghan tonight, Deborah

This looks like a really great project! I wish I weren't so busy with other projects right now. But, I am praying that your ministry grows, and expands to cover many more centers throughout the U.S. Wouldn't that be something? :) May God continue to bless your efforts a hundred times! I hope you have a "loaves and fishes" or Energizer Bunny kind of turn out with these squares; they just keep coming and coming...

Hugs

Victoria

This is such a great idea - especially coordinating the colors with the patient's specific cancer. My father-in-law had colon cancer and I always wished the people in chemo with him could be more comfortable while they were there. That was before I started to crochet, so I'm very excited to join you. I also love that your group will be praying over the blankets. I'll send an email for more info.

:yay

Hi, I was wondering can you post what colors you are needing, I'm not familiar with the colors that are associated with cancers and I would be happy to make some squares, please pm me with the info on colors(Which colors are most needed) and mailing address, thanks Lora

Archived