Crochet Hearts Pattern - MORE advice please

One thing I know about me is that I am not great at working with colours and patterns... i think something works and that may not actually be the case :eek

Here is the (recently posted) crochet hearts afghan picture link

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/lenedar/?action=view&current=c-hearts.jpg

I just went to Walmart and they only had one (one pound) skein of the pink. arrgh!!!

I have been wondering if I could maybe make the centre panel of 3 in white. would that still work? I think I can scrounge enough pink with what I have to get two side panels. (the ghan needs 42 ounces overall)

My other choice is to go back to Walmart next week and hope they have another skein of the pink.

So which would you go for...

make the mixed match :yes:no

or wait for more pink? :yes:no

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I really want to get this ghan finished so I think that I will work the heart segments in squares in a checkerboard look alternating the pink and white. They are worked in a way that makes it easy to alternate the colours.

Does this sound like a reasonable compromise?

:cheerI think that this pattern is a one colour pattern so it will look much nicer done in one colour. The texture tells the story, not the colours.

:thinkCan you phone the store and ask them to hold the colour for you?

Maybe they have a mail Order system and could send it to you.

Hope you can match it, if not, I would be inclined to start again with a full lot of matching dye lot because many a blanket has been spoiled by no-matching dye lots.

You will never regret making it look the very best you can because, remember, this blanket will be around for many, many years to come.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I like the one color ghan because of the textures. Just my 2 cents..but different colors I think would look too "busy". Is it possible to use a non-dye lot pink & order some online? Or you could ask on the ville if any one has any you could buy or trade for? I did that recently in fact, when I couldn't find I love This Yarn in aubergine that I began a ghan with & HL didn't get any more in. I asked & someone was so nice to help me out.:) They even went to their own HL & got more of it for me so I would have enough to finish.

Thanks all. I need to think about your various suggestions. I would love to make the "neopolitan" afghan but the Great Gramma I am making this for would never go with that. I might be able to get the pink and white passed but she is not adventurous around colour.

I think I have until July to get this made and I am sure WM will have more pink. it would just be nice to have it finished so she can stop worrying. I started the Diagonal Granny afghan in pink for her but all those ends mean that I just avoid going near the thing. I was hoping to have a replacement.

I'm a little on the fence. I think it would look nice in either solid or stripes (pink/white).

If there is a chance of dye lots not matching, it would be better to go with the stripes. Since each stripe is monochromatic, it wouldn't interfere with the texture/pattern, IMHO.

But, I see your dilemma.

I think the pink and white checkerboard design would look good. Myself, I like that idea better than strips of white and pink. So that's my 2 cents worth:hook

yeah... I am liking that idea more myself.. it has a certain "little girl, pink and white gingham" look that I think gr. gramma would like and I can probably do a push and finish this in a week.

I like the idea of alternating the pink and white.

I also like the idea of using 3 colors. I generally find three colors nicer than two. If you put in a third color, I would go with a light green or aqua. It would be very Spring-like.

I think the "checkerboard" pattern would be very nice. Adding a 3rd contrast like aqua (complimentary color that it is...) could work too, but 2 colors may be easier to keep track of.

Archived