My New Use For Doilies

I might be way behind the times here, but I really don't have much furniture to display my doilies on. I don't what made me do this, but I put one of them on my lampshade. Just a plain, wide, white shade - it holds onto the shade. It's so cool. Shows up the design and dresses up the lampshade.

So, for anyone who wonders what doilies are used for, there's another use, besides furniture or framing them, or turning them into basekts... LOL

Another use for doilies is to sew them onto fabric squares and use the squares to make a bed spread. I make a bunch of off white doilies for a friend and she did this with them. Put them on dark green velveteen and it is just beautiful!

There's a book called Decorating With Crocheted Doilies (I think). It has doilies on pillows.

A friend gave her great-grandmothers doilies she inherited to family members. She put them on black velvet and framed them. I got my grandmother's hankies with the lace edgings. What can I do with those?

Ellie 13

Why not sew it onto the back of a shirt or a jacket....

I never thought of all these ways of using doilies.

Maybe it's because I haven't had my caffine injection yet or maybe it's because I'm just odd, but I had an amusing image after reading that. A bunch of leather clad bikers pulling into Michael's. On the backs of their jackets is their best doily and the words ****'s Hookers stitched around it. I think I'll get more coffee now.

There's a book called Decorating With Doilies (I think). It has doilies on pillows.

A friend gave her great-grandmothers doilies she inherited to family members. She put them on black velvet and framed them. I got my grandmother's hankies with the lace edgings. What can I do with those?

Ellie 13

Hi Ellie-

I did the same thing with framing vintage hankies from my grandmother. I used quality royal blue velvet in one and burgandy velvet in another and ornate, antique looking frames. I layed the hankies next to each other in triangles like a fan with the crocheted edgings at the top. Turned out very pretty.

I think some small doilies sewed to a denim jacket then adorned with some kind of stones, like with the bedazzler thingie would be really cute. Don't stop there, crochet some edgings and go down the side seams of your jeans and really make a put together outfit.

I am seeing something in gold or silver metalic for the doilies and colorful stones. Sounds fun to me :D

Maybe it's because I haven't had my caffine injection yet or maybe it's because I'm just odd, but I had an amusing image after reading that. A bunch of leather clad bikers pulling into Michael's. On the backs of their jackets is their best doily and the words ****'s Hookers stitched around it. I think I'll get more coffee now.

:laughroll:laughroll

I am not sure:think where I saw it on line, but someone made very large doilies in yarn and then grouped about 6 or 7 of them on a plain white wall....it really looked cool:tup, I should try to find that picture again....:compute

I use doilies as small hostess gifts ... I put a fragrant soap in it and tie it with a bow ... everyone always seems so thankful. Since I make all my doilies with thread they can easily be used as a washcloth or dishcloth without any damage.

I am not sure:think where I saw it on line, but someone made very large doilies in yarn and then grouped about 6 or 7 of them on a plain white wall....it really looked cool:tup, I should try to find that picture again....:compute

I like that idea! It sounds better than wallpaper. Hmmm, I can't paint my apartment, well I could, but then I'd have to paint it back. I should do that. Then again, by the time I got them done, I'll probably be moving out. :lol

There's a book called Decorating With Crocheted Doilies (I think). It has doilies on pillows.

Ellie 13

I also inherited my Nana's tatted-lace edged hankies and I have them in a satin quilted box in my lingerie drawer ... every morning when I get dressed I see the box and know it's there and somehow my whole world brightens. I loved my Nana so much and these hankies are now 100 years old and I like to use them for special occasions.

I use doilies as small hostess gifts ... I put a fragrant soap in it and tie it with a bow ... everyone always seems so thankful. Since I make all my doilies with thread they can easily be used as a washcloth or dishcloth without any damage.

What a great idea!

:lol:lol:lol

Did you see the movie "Wild Hogs" with Tim Allen, John Travolta, a couple others?

They are middle-aged proffesional men, on a biker road trip, and one of the guys wives sewed patches for them for their "gang"......

Maybe I could make a few for my DH and his fellow truck drivers? :manyheart

I offered to decorate my FIL's RV with some while it's parked here for the winter, so it's more "homey" for him at the race track. I even offered to make tham all blue, and he still said no!

Hee hee I think I will sneak one or two in there anyway. :hook

Archived